Minelab Equinox tips and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It will perform very well for its price range. I think that is key here.

Minelab also has to consider their survival as well. This product will potentially get customers to Minelab who wanted a higher end treasure detector with features without having to pay an arm and a leg. Which usually prevents people from purchasing one. The only option up until now for a great treasure detector from Minelab has been the 3030 at a price which will never entice new comers to the game.

Will this beat the 3030??? Probably not, the 3030 is repairable, these seem to be replaceable units. But it definitely will bring a lot more customers to Minelab. I say this is AT MAX killer for sure. In more ways than one.

Minelab needs to sell units to make money. Thus the Gofind series aimed at kids, just plastic, but the basics are there without the hickups of a cheap no frills brand.

I would also expect for the price of the 3030 to maybe drop to the $2000 mark eventually which would also move more units.

John is Minelabophobic. LOL

It's okay if he doesn't like it. He is entitled to his opinions, negative or positive. Even if they aren't substantiated yet. Its all speculation really until we get our hands on one of these babies.

I would expect a lot of reviews on YouTube within the next week.

1505620950_800px-equinox-announcement-email.jpg

Here she is again for you John. lol

hAyyoUinAU said:
John in Minelabophobic. LOL

It's okay if he doesn't like it. He is entitled to his opinions, negative or positive. Even if they aren't substantiated yet. Its all speculation really until we get our hands on one of these babies.

I would expect a lot of reviews on YouTube within the next week.

John has a habit of going on about all Minelabs released detectors unfortunately.

goldwright said:
You are bagging a machine that hasnt even come out yet John, i wish you would just post information not dribble every time Minelab bring something out.

You can wish for what you like, But there again how long have you been swinging detectors and how many brands, type and styles of machines have you used, I can tell with just one look.

And you are wrong it is not every time when ML bring out a machine, it is when Any company brings out a machine, All I am saying is there are a couple of things I don't like about it. So don't turn this in to a personal thing.

I has way more good features than it has bad, Tech wise from what I have seen I think it is the best machine ever made.

J.

Ridge Runner said:
goldwright said:
You are bagging a machine that hasnt even come out yet John, i wish you would just post information not dribble every time Minelab bring something out.

You can wish for what you like, But there again how long have you been swinging detectors and how many brands, type and styles of machines have you used, I can tell with just one look.

And you are wrong it is not every time when ML bring out a machine, it is when Any company brings out a machine, All I am saying is there are a couple of things I don't like about it. So don't turn this in to a personal thing.

I has way more good features than it has bad, Tech wise from what I have seen I think it is the best machine ever made.

J.

Just stop clogging up these threads dude.

goldwright said:
Ridge Runner said:
goldwright said:

J.

Just stop clogging up these threads dude.

Says he who derails the thread and turns it in to a personal thing.

The $1500 mark is looking about right for the 800 model Equinox.

That is a more than fair price considering what else is there.

See the video, listen to the man in the Kilt, DEREK MCLENNAN from Minelab.

It's waterproof to "10 meters" (10.30min)

It got so many features suitable for anyone, It's a "No brainer" (10.46min) and it's only a prototype.

Got to love the truthful enthusiasm by the experts.

http://www.minelab.com/anz/customer-care/product-notices?article=319462

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Had my single frequency Makro Red Racer and a Nokta Gold Racer in a couple of sandy play ground areas and some wet beach hunting this morning, turned out both detectors are way from being obsolete !

Ridge Runner said:
One thing I have always hated since the birth of the F-Series Fishers is the lack of the rear control box which acts as a counter weight when using larger coils, Stick a 15" coil or 12x15 SEF the 18x15 coil on the F-75 and they are hell to use all day, which is why I like the GP/GPX and the Whites machines, The feel and the look/design of the GP/GPX to me is how a metal detector should look and the fact that you can adjust the handle and slide the control box back and forth just makes sense to me and when set up right is a joy to swing 8 or 10 hours a day.

I have waited years just like everyone else to get my hands back on a Minelab that had a decent recovery speed, and my first thoughts upon seeing was "Oh F***" Not again. because It looks like the F-75 got together with the XP Deus after one too many Beers.

J.

Cmon John your having a laugh about the 15 inch on a 75 mate. If there's anyone out there swinging a 15 inch coil 4 inches above the ground then they deserve to get tired, because that's the only reason a 75 would feel unbalanced with a 15 on it. Snug on the ground you'd easily swing a good 4 or more hours straight without noticing it, and that's if your short of targets to dig giving a rest in between. Try a 3030 with stock coil scenario and I would agree completely, the etrac safari and 3030 are for timbercutters.

As for breeding with beer goggles on I've never looked at a detector and thought about buying it based on looks. If it can do more than the 75 and most of the deus then there'll be a few blokes waiting in line on release day.

I'm not trying to wind you up, I got a good laugh out of what you wrote (not at you but with you) but I wish you could have a little more enthusiasm for a new detector in the market like I see you do with every other manufacturer on a new release. Honestly though I'm excited about it enough for both of us, I think despite the fact it may have been conceived by some blokes sitting behind a desk all day it's got some nice features and is definitely a step in the right direction.

Wouldn't surprise me if Minelab send this one out and hatch a few new ideas for the next one. Bang for buck there really hasn't been a better time to be coin/relic/treasure detecting.

I really like the speed and how fast the guy manages to access the settings and make changes and that screen is so nice and uncluttered, It sounds like the CTX one minute and at the press of a button it can be transformed in to a rocket ship the next, and I think they have used the best set of frequencies right up to 40khz and the fact it has the Velvet Minelab threshold is the Icing on the cake.

J.

Let's just settle on difference of opinion for now guys, and get back to talking about the detector thanks. As for the positioning of the waterproof coil plug, there really aren't too many other options taking into consideration hand clearance and shaft configuration which is built to a cost vs that seen on the more expensive units with through shaft cable routing. If you want collapsible shafts, internal routing, carbon fibre rods etc, it would be likely to add hundreds to the overall cost of the detector. Rather than think of it as a simplified version of an Etrac or CTX, think of it as a progression and advancement from the x-terra series.

The one button push to All Metal was something I have wanted since ever. Some places it's just annoyingly slow to switch from discrimination and back again, there's so many places I go that this would be perfect. The most obvious example is the area leading up to the bins on a large park or around picnic table, I could nail these first setting up pulltabs and steel screw tops out, and then push one button to all metal when in in those broad grassed areas in between. Or house sites that have nails but you get that nice nonferrous tone and want to size up the target in all metal. Others might think take it or leave it but it's definitely something I've wanted for ages.

OldGT said:
Ridge Runner said:
One thing I have always hated since the birth of the F-Series Fishers is the lack of the rear control box which acts as a counter weight when using larger coils, Stick a 15" coil or 12x15 SEF the 18x15 coil on the F-75 and they are hell to use all day, which is why I like the GP/GPX and the Whites machines, The feel and the look/design of the GP/GPX to me is how a metal detector should look and the fact that you can adjust the handle and slide the control box back and forth just makes sense to me and when set up right is a joy to swing 8 or 10 hours a day.

I have waited years just like everyone else to get my hands back on a Minelab that had a decent recovery speed, and my first thoughts upon seeing was "Oh F***" Not again. because It looks like the F-75 got together with the XP Deus after one too many Beers.

J.

Cmon John your having a laugh about the 15 inch on a 75 mate. If there's anyone out there swinging a 15 inch coil 4 inches above the ground then they deserve to get tired, because that's the only reason a 75 would feel unbalanced with a 15 on it. Snug on the ground you'd easily swing a good 4 or more hours straight without noticing it, and that's if your short of targets to dig giving a rest in between. Try a 3030 with stock coil scenario and I would agree completely, the etrac safari and 3030 are for timbercutters.

As for breeding with beer goggles on I've never looked at a detector and thought about buying it based on looks. If it can do more than the 75 and most of the deus then there'll be a few blokes waiting in line on release day.

I'm not trying to wind you up, I got a good laugh out of what you wrote (not at you but with you) but I wish you could have a little more enthusiasm for a new detector in the market like I see you do with every other manufacturer on a new release. Honestly though I'm excited about it enough for both of us, I think despite the fact it may have been conceived by some blokes sitting behind a desk all day it's got some nice features and is definitely a step in the right direction.

Wouldn't surprise me if Minelab send this one out and hatch a few new ideas for the next one. Bang for buck there really hasn't been a better time to be coin/relic/treasure detecting.

In Australia No, no one swings a 15" coil on a VLF 4" above the ground, But seeing as this machine was first displayed or released to the UK public where they do use such coils and quite a few people use the 12x15, 15x18 and the 21x18, In the UK many folks use large coils for hoard hunting because of the value of such finds are measured in the millions of dollars, My standard coil is a minimum of either 14x10 or 12" concentric and I have two larger coils for when needs must. So my comments are more related to what is the norm in my area and the rest of Europe and seeing as they debuted it here first then it makes sense to me,

In Australia none of this matters because Australia does not have mega dollar hoards just waiting out there and ground conditions do not allow the use for such coils on VLF's, and due to the lack of junk in Australia a person can use a PI with great results.

J.

OldGT said:
The one button push to All Metal was something I have wanted since ever. Some places it's just annoyingly slow to switch from discrimination and back again, there's so many places I go that this would be perfect. The most obvious example is the area leading up to the bins on a large park or around picnic table, I could nail these first setting up pulltabs and steel screw tops out, and then push one button to all metal when in in those broad grassed areas in between. Or house sites that have nails but you get that nice nonferrous tone and want to size up the target in all metal. Others might think take it or leave it but it's definitely something I've wanted for ages.

Yeah having that direct access as simple as it sounds is worth it's weight in Gold. having to scroll through menus is one of my pet hates with other multi frequency machines, for me it's all about the detecting and I just want to get in to it and not play with menus and programs. that's another reason I like the GM 1000 because it is all instant.

J.

Goldpick said:
Let's just settle on difference of opinion for now guys, and get back to talking about the detector thanks. As for the positioning of the waterproof coil plug, there really aren't too many other options taking into consideration hand clearance and shaft configuration which is built to a cost vs that seen on the more expensive units with through shaft cable routing. If you want collapsible shafts, internal routing, carbon fibre rods etc, it would be likely to add hundreds to the overall cost of the detector. Rather than think of it as a simplified version of an Etrac or CTX, think of it as a progression and advancement from the x-terra series.

I think that is the best way to look at it mate, you nailed it with that comment. I think of it as a totally different unit all together and it excites me that Minelab have taken this route, it's a little bit Deus, a little bit CTX and a little bit totally new at a reasonable price. Win win situation for purchasers.

Ridge Runner said:
OldGT said:
Ridge Runner said:

J.

In Australia No, no one swings a 15" coil on a VLF 4" above the ground, But seeing as this machine was first displayed or released to the UK public where they do use such coils and quite a few people use the 12x15, 15x18 and the 21x18, In the UK many folks use large coils for hoard hunting because of the value of such finds are measured in the millions of dollars, My standard coil is a minimum of either 14x10 or 12" concentric and I have two larger coils for when needs must. So my comments are more related to what is the norm in my area and the rest of Europe and seeing as they debuted it here first then it makes sense to me,

In Australia none of this matters because Australia does not have mega dollar hoards just waiting out there and ground conditions do not allow the use for such coils on VLF's, and due to the lack of junk in Australia a person can use a PI with great results.

J.

Crap John, we have some extremely iron cluttered sites, especially in old mining areas, not to mention modern parks with severe junk infestation. We need fast detectors that can sort the trash as much as anyone else. If you're ever in Sydney I'll take you to my fav spot for a go and see what you think of the trash.

I also showed you on that video I did that the CTX is not as slow as you claim, I think all you do is read other peoples biased reviews and watch dodgy youtube vids, I had a cracking hunt this morning with my CTX, anyway you probably wouldn't be interested in that. Watch my vid again mate.

Anyway I'll probably get an Equinox as it is totally different to the CTX and will complement it beautifully. :Y:

Latest posts