Minelab's next gold machine

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The now unobtainable Whites TRX is one of the only true pinpointers - it only detects in the forward direction from its nose.

Most other pinpointers also detect strongly to the side of their head - sometimes upto 50mm up the side . So if you are not aware of this you can still go off track for a while - you poke it down the hole and it goes beep at the bottom & you think ok I need to go deeper and keep digging down instead of across.

They still work fine but it pays to play with some targets and see the field shape and effective distance of your pinpointer so you can visualise what it is telling you.
Exactly, I chased a target down 6" to find a .22 casing on the edge of the hole, the pin pointer was angled toward that side as I put it down the hole---pinpointers fault? Nope, operator error, like most detector problems.

I have tried both Minelab and Garrett pinpointers in the holes with big nuggets and they have not helped, relics I cannot comment on.

It is very frustrating to spend an hour on the demolition hammer and the nugget is in the side of the hole I suppose if I had a small coiltek coil to put on it would help.

Latest posts