Minelab Equinox tips and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This changes nothing, My machines are still going to find just as much as they ever did, making others obsolete is a stupid claim to make.

1505555567_800px-equinox-announcement-email.jpg

This is nothing more than a cheaper rival to the Impact more than any thing else, the clue is in the pricing this is 800 bucks the CTX is 2500/3000, they are not going to release a machine for 800 dollars that can beat their 3000 dollar machine because they would end up loosing 2200 dollars and that does not make good business sense to shoot them selves in the foot.

people need to keep things in perspective. like I said compare the prices that's where the answer lies.

There is no mention of ths detector rivalling the CTX, it is meant to be placed around the Deus (Lite), AT Max and Whites MX Sport price bracket - and offering true multi frequency mode which all the others lack (ie wet sand ability), faster recovery to closely match the Deus, along with prospecting ability. This is the detector I have been after since retiring my Explorer and Etrac due to their excessive weight, whilst still retaining single frequency modes and now with a waterproof enclosure.

I'm sure those who own a CTX might be a little disappointed that it is not a replacement for their detector, though do keep in mind that the x-terra platform was well and truly due for an update. The only detector that I can see losing out to the Equinox is the Safari, can't see many people opting for that detector considering what the Equinox has to offer for the price.

The way I see it, you are either a Garrett or Minelab fan with regards to being used to the x-terra or AT tones and differing conductivity scales, though the added abilities on the Equinox may be enough to sway detectorists over to the Minelab product. Will be interesting to see what the wireless headphones are like, and what other accessory coils will be available.

Well just look at it, They gave it all them frequencies to make it a flexible machine and then stuff it up because they have ignored a very important requirement.

I think this is ML's direct challenge to the Nokta Impact but the Impact is the better machine when it comes to multi purpose use,

No harm in speculating...my guess is around the $1200-$1350 mark from the slated US $899 mark on the 800 series. Certainly has my interest with the 4 frequency options and some clever little adjustment features in the programming. 25 tone option will be interesting.

I'll settle for one if the reviews show in order of relevance, fair price, low susceptibility to emi, zero falsing on wet sand, and a decent battery life, and very good to excellent recovery speed. All the rest of the what I've seen so far definitely has me interested, I've been looking at the nokta options but waiting to see how this would stack up in features and price point.

rocketaroo said:
looks very good, prob has everything that most people would need. The xterra is dead!

Yeah I think it was built to replace the xterra but built to challenge the Impact.

Ridge Runner said:
Well just look at it, They gave it all them frequencies to make it a flexible machine and then stuff it up because they have ignored a very important requirement.

I think this is ML's direct challenge to the Nokta Impact but the Impact is the better machine when it comes to multi purpose use,

Not sure what you mean as in "important requirement"? I'd say having the addition of multiple frequencies, plus having more single frequencies than the Impact (plus higher 40kHz frequency), and waterproofing would make it a more versatile detector. That's on paper, we'll have to wait to see how it performs in the real world before making judgements on performance, ergonomics, weight etc.

I'd say Minelab did a fair bit of R&D on this one.

It will sit in the bellow $2000 metal detector range and do well there. It will not be replacing or equal to something like a 3030.

It will suit those who do the odd relic hunt and want something in the mid range with bells and whistles. I like bells and whistles. lol

Minelab aren't dumb, no point releasing something to take sales away from their top end machines. If anything they have designed their latest crop of detectors to be current for years. I had heard up to 10years on the ZED. Software enhancements and updates coils and accessories.

Still looks cool, a lot nicer than the new AT MAX. That thing is UGLY!!! Same old same old.

Smart not using wireless coils, I don't like that idea.

Deus can keep it. Even though I think Minelab took them to court over it. lol

I also thought the Equinox would of utilised a cable free coil system though. Has its ups using a normal style system too, but I think the way of the future will be hidden cables for sure.

Latest posts