Minelab Equinox tips and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ridge Runner said:
Goldpick said:
Ridge Runner said:
Goldpick said:
Not sure what you mean as in "important requirement"? I'd say having the addition of multiple frequencies, plus having more single frequencies than the Impact (plus higher 40kHz frequency), and waterproofing would make it a more versatile detector. That's on paper, we'll have to wait to see how it performs in the real world before making judgements on performance, ergonomics, weight etc.

No mate I can tell straight off that it is going to have limited use, just have another look at it and what do you see of not see.

Umm, so you can't tell me the design faults, you've already predicted how many are gong to sell, and are asking me to look for something that isn't there. Just cut to the chase John rather than trolling for a response.

It's not a case of trolling for a response, and if you realized and paid attention and compared it's design compared to the Impact, the CTX, GPX, GPZ the V3i to name a few you will see that there is absolutely no weight at the rear of the shaft under the arm cup, So how do you think that is going to feel at the end of a days detecting using larger coils, They have already made a 13x15" coil for it but without any counter weight under the arm cup I doubt very much if people will be able to use the larger coils.

John, I know what I am looking at - the shaft setup up is very similar if not the same as what is already on the x-terra series of detectors, and I don't recall too many grumbles about that configuration, even with the weighty WOT coil - I don't see that there will be any real difference with the Equinox. Take note of the detector I currently use (Deus), it has no weight over the rear either, and I can swing that all day with no issues, even with the large coil.

Wouldn't concern me as I predominantly use mid size and small coils for the areas I detect, larger coils only come out once in a blue moon if the site dictates such a coil.

As I mentioned, proof will be in the pudding when people get their hands on them to make their own judgement.

madtuna said:
says the dude who wants to screw weights to what looks to be an ultra light detector (huge selling point)

Whats your problem,

The thing is stick a 15" coil on a GPX and remove the control box and a person will feel it by the end of the day if not sooner because the weight will pull down at the front,

Sticking weights above the point of balance with make it easier on a persons forearm and wrist, even more so with people who are Tall due to having the lower shaft extended further. It boils down to basic mechanics/Physics.

I'd say the coil is ultra light too, made of some lightweight hardened composite. It should balance out on the grip not the forearm. Too much weight on the backside can also be counter productive too.

I'd say its pretty comfortable to swing by what Dr Tonez said in the video. He does it for a living, and uses a CTX 3030. And he said the 3030 will now be his second machine. The Equinox is his main machine now, so it must be a lot easier to swing than the 3030 and I would say that would be one of its main features. Lightweight and easy to swing. Powerful, multi frequency which means less machines needed.

Minelab still winning to me.

The SDC is a classic example of too much weight in the back, it is inherent to it's fold up design and location of batteries as well. Even though it is almost 1kg lighter than the 7000, the 7000 had better balance due to its bulkier screen handle. Still a bit too rear heavy, but the heavy coil compensates for that well.

I'd say most people will be using one of these by this time next year. :)

Will be interesting.

hAyyoUinAU said:
Okay, so we know the specs, what it looks like 90% and roughly its cost.

How about what we think of the name? EQUINOX

And what will be its nickname? Or short?

Urmm Quin,, Nox or OX ?

J.

hAyyoUinAU said:
The SDC is a classic example of too much weight in the back, it is inherent to it's fold up design and location of batteries as well. Even though it is almost 1kg lighter than the 7000, the 7000 had better balance due to its bulkier screen handle. Still a bit too rear heavy, but the heavy coil compensates for that well.

I'd say most people will be using one of these by this time next year. :)

Will be interesting.

Maybe they made the Zed a little heavier on the rear to help with the 19" coil, I see many complain about the big coil. ?

Even though I have a machine with the control box at the back, I find that one of my factory coils creates the need for me to add weight to the rear of the machine, all the others I can live with but my 15" coil weighs over 1,000 grams.

J.

Another minor thing due to the height of the hand grip and the pod I think that it will constantly fall over when put down on uneven ground.

Seems like a great detector to me, the selectable freq is a direct challenge to the Deus in my opinion and giving it a multi freq option is killer. I don't like the way the cable attaches to the control unit but that's really nothing to worry about. The headphone jack is another thing that bothers me but.... it is what it is, I don't really use headphones while coin shooting unless I'm on the beach.

CTX killer? Hmmm I don't think so but it looks like a serious detector none the less. Will I get one? Hmmmmmm maybe. I was going to buy a Deus but maybe I'll get another Minelab. :D

John....... you are not just any troll........... you are our troll. Be nice and don't upset people.

davent said:
Seems like a winner, when will they be available, anyone know?
Sent email and Facebook post....Same response...upcoming details in few weeks.
1505605590_img_20170917_094515.jpg
Minelab do have a habit of releasing units to the testers and having them upload reviews around a fortnight out before retail launch.
As soon as Steve or PhaseTech post a review in here I'll know when to head off to the bank. :p

Heatho said:
Seems like a great detector to me, the selectable freq is a direct challenge to the Deus in my opinion and giving it a multi freq option is killer. I don't like the way the cable attaches to the control unit but that's really nothing to worry about. The headphone jack is another thing that bothers me but.... it is what it is, I don't really use headphones while coin shooting unless I'm on the beach.

CTX killer? Hmmm I don't think so but it looks like a serious detector none the less. Will I get one? Hmmmmmm maybe. I was going to buy a Deus but maybe I'll get another Minelab. :D

John....... you are not just any troll........... you are our troll. Be nice and don't upset people.

I would dare say it would have option for wireless headphones. Not 100% sure but having the WIFI and Bluetooth should allow something.

And I think John really loves the Equinox, he is just playing hard to get. :p

I like what it can do and the fact they have at last made a machine with speed, The last time we saw a machine that had speed was the Musketeer Advantage and the sites I have the Musketeer is /was the only ML machine that could handle them, So in that respect the Equinox is a Winner.

One thing I have always hated since the birth of the F-Series Fishers is the lack of the rear control box which acts as a counter weight when using larger coils, Stick a 15" coil or 12x15 SEF the 18x15 coil on the F-75 and they are hell to use all day, which is why I like the GP/GPX and the Whites machines, The feel and the look/design of the GP/GPX to me is how a metal detector should look and the fact that you can adjust the handle and slide the control box back and forth just makes sense to me and when set up right is a joy to swing 8 or 10 hours a day.

Like Heatho said, that coil plug is in such a stupid place, Minelabs last 3 machines have always put the lead/socket in a sensible place to protect it and now they have done what fisher and Whites have done with the F-series and the MXS and the treasure mate series. and that is why I will not buy it, ML gave the Equinox all the right Tools and then buggered up the design.

I have already spoken to the Nokta dealer on Friday regarding the Impact because to me it is the better machine.. being able to adapt a multi purpose machine is not just about switching frequencies and modes, To make any machine truly multi purpose it has to be able to match different coils to suit those modes and frequencies to terrain and vice versa.

I have waited years just like everyone else to get my hands back on a Minelab that had a decent recovery speed, and my first thoughts upon seeing was "Oh F***" Not again. because It looks like the F-75 got together with the XP Deus after one too many Beers.

I wish them luck with it and I know many ML fans will flock to buy it regardless of form and function, And I felt the same about another multi purpose machine that came out this past year or so too, and I just wish that the guys who design these things would actually get out of the office and use one for a week or two.

J.

Latest posts