Looking for some friends

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you know how to react if you get bitten by a snake? If you walk 100 meters back to the nissan and drive yourself back to town YOU WILL GET VERY SICK.
You must use your PLB and rest and keep still.

Screen Shot 2023-01-07 at 9.05.46 am.png
Screen Shot 2023-01-07 at 9.17.22 am.png

Last edited:
Of course you don't have to go 4WD. A good friend of mine recently purchased a new Toyota Hiace and tows the quad bike on a trailer. He's found that the new Hiace is too low to the ground but there are other vans around with better ground clearance. I have a Mercedes MB100D setup with a fridge and water tank. I have a couple of small aluminium ramps so that I can slip the Honda 250 quad in the back. Most gold prospecting areas can easily be accessed by 2WD and the quad gets you the last few kilometres to be right on the patch. It consumes about 9L diesel per 100km.

If I go with the wife we take the big Isuzu 4WD motorhome and tow the two quads in a covered trailer behind. On my own I'm quite comfortable in the little Merc.
As MB has said a 4wd is not compulsory. This was my first around Oz vehicle and there was a lot more dirt involved in those days. This was taken actually about four days before "the dingo got the baby" saga 👍

Ayes Rock 1.jpg

Last edited:
Do you know how to react if you get bitten by a snake? If you walk 100 meters back to the nissan and drive yourself back to town YOU WILL GET VERY SICK.
You must use your PLB and rest and keep still.

View attachment 6966
View attachment 6969
This can be a little miss leading unfortunately? If in very remote areas all you can do is pressure bandage if possible and try to get to help with minimal of exertion. Stay calm and try to maintain a matter of fact attitude, as like I'm in the proverbial here what do i need to do to fix it? An eastern brown bite or inland taipan can kill you in a half hour to forty five minutes, so sitting and waiting for help may very well only have one outcome. Once bitten the time clock is also running, in that you will only have limited time before losing full control of your faculties. Remote WA and FNQ you would be probably lucky if anyone, even the RFDS got to you in under two hours. Snake bite is my biggest concern as I figure most other issues I can sort, but snake bite from the wrong snake in the wrong place and ya pretty well fornicated unfortunately. Especially if bitten in an area that a pressure bandage cannot be applied. No wish to dramatize here, but bitten by a snake in a remote area can quite easily result in death and in Oz we just happen to have more than two thirds of the most deadliest snakes in the world. Just be cautious and very aware is all one is trying to say here as it is life and death at the end of the day. If you don't own gaiters then buy some 🤔

Last edited:
Philip My way of Thinking was once id purchased a truck something like a nissan patol and Then Knowing what I needed
Planning a visit to Pros/Patch To get Everything. And then Whilst I was in Kalgoorlie I was going to see the Local Lads The ones iv seen on tv
And ark them to make me up a Large Bracket to fit on the Back of the Trucks tow bar So I can hook the Motorbike on. The one they Will Hopefully
find for me I Wonted to do it that way so im not towing a trailer Or a Quad so I can go off roading and not have to worry about it.
And all the time making new Friends. Does That sound Feasible to You. Im hopping to do a lot of Miles I have Nowhere to leave anything
So I need to make the Truck as slimline as can. And If I start and End my Adventure in the same Place Maybe I Can Hire a Proper Tool kit
From my Newist Friends. Please Tell Me The Floors In My Plan Cheers
https://www.facebook.com/groups/507060923027883#

Or there's Hermann's BT50, which looks like it's all ready for action:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/threads/bt50.40414/
Good reminder Grubstake 👍only problem is its in Victoria not Western Australia. Nonetheless it is a well maintained vehicle and definitely worthy of consideration, set up for the purpose of being self sufficient while on the road 👌💪The additional benefit being Herman will give an accurate account of maintenance and use, definitely not flogged and abused 👌

Gary you mentioned your handy with a spanner, I take from that you imply vehicle mechanics and maintenance. Herman's BT50 is definitely worth your time (if it's still available) In saying that subject to funds you could purchase and transport it to WA if that's where you intend to enter. The only problem I don't have knowledge of is registering the vehicle to an address given you'll be here on a visa. I'm sure you have/are looking into it, if not it's just something else to consider.

Last edited:

I do like the Mercedes Vito. I had one of these for about five years. I bought it cheap and in poor condition but it never got repaired in all that time. It delivered Toll freight every day and I sold it in the end to a guy who wanted to convert it to a camper. They are a very good model without all the modern computer problems that can have you stranded in the outback.

Nope definitely dont need a 4x4. View attachment 6986:)

Heatho must not have missed each other by much 🤣 👍 Certainly same era, was only a pub and BP servo with store back then and dirt all the way out to the highway. Plus of course you could go for walkies on the rock. :rolleyes: What were you on ? Bonny ? Trident? Certainly looks pom from engine case 🤣 🤣

This pic was when my parents visited the rock on a big final hurrah with their bikie friends.

They took me back a couple of years later. Climbing the rock was an experience I'll never forget.

Would have been very close to the time you were there for sure.

Same same regards the climb, I can still remember the view seeing the Olgas way out on the horizon and little fish in the rock pools on the top. Looked unreal as in those days the few buildings that were there you could not se over the brim of the rock so the feeling of being surrounded by nothing - ness was incredible.

As MB has said a 4wd is not compulsory. This was my first around Oz vehicle and there was a lot more dirt involved in those days. This was taken actually about four days before "the dingo got the baby" saga 👍

View attachment 6983

Diginit, it's amazing how much you looked like your avatar way back then ;)

Diginit, it's amazing how much you looked like your avatar way back then ;)
True indeed MB BUT I had more hair on the back of my neck back then than I have on my whole head now :oops: ;):oops: Over the years I've just grown to tall for it 🤔 Was a week into 18, just got my licence and was off on the adventure. Probably should change it to something more fitting perhaps ?

Magoo.jpg

Last edited:
and the temperature is still heading in the wrong direction.....

Weather.JPG

Mrs M is back at work at the Cue Heritage Centre so I spent most of the day outside cutting and welding. The temperature was right up there but we had a good breeze and I was working under the high shade cloth. The shade is not a cool as a tree but it really makes a big difference and you do adjust to these temperatures after a few years.

and the temperature is still heading in the wrong direction.....

View attachment 7112

Mrs M is back at work at the Cue Heritage Centre so I spent most of the day outside cutting and welding. The temperature was right up there but we had a good breeze and I was working under the high shade cloth. The shade is not a cool as a tree but it really makes a big difference and you do adjust to these temperatures after a few years.
Anything is better than nothing especially when you're dealing with temperatures 🌡 like those MB 🥵 Working in the direct sunlight just gets harder every year from my experience, I avoid it as much as I can.

I would leave earlier. You'll need the time to get set up.
The season is only 6 months long.
Thank for your reply. I know it was a few daye ago I had to do a couple of days at work. Yes I Think you are right and at the moment there are some nice Trucks for sale in Perth and The sooner I get there The better. You Never Know some of them may still be there. At the moment im looking to purchase
a Garmin Montana 680t GPX Do you think Id do better to buy one in Aussie Thinking it maybe easier to get the right maps loaded.
Thanks Wilf

Latest posts