Looking for some friends

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would suggest Melbourne for an initial destination. You can get everything you need in the big city, then it's only a couple of hours on the highway to get amongst the Golden Triangle goldfields and put it all to the test for a few months. When the Victorian winter weather sets in (May/June), hit the road for the long haul to Western Australia, based out of Kalgoorlie or Leonora initially.

You said you were going to set up a base in Kalgoorlie?
I don't think you can get an international flight to Kalgoorlie. You'll have to fly into Perth and hire a motorhome and set up from there.

Are you a Chinese spy?? :eek::cool:

Last edited:
I would suggest Melbourne for an initial destination. You can get everything you need in the big city, then it's only a couple of hours on the highway to get amongst the Golden Triangle goldfields and put it all to the test for a few months. When the Victorian winter weather sets in (May/June), hit the road for the long haul to Western Australia, based out of Kalgoorlie or Leonora initially.
Thanks. That sounds like a plan il start looking for a truck if i worked it right it would be nice to do the new year in Sydney.

Can anyone tell me were to get all my detector equipment in Melbourne

When we travel we mix it up a bit. You can't prospect for gold all the time because of the weather so we also look for gemstones. Sometimes we just do the usual touristy things and we're always keeping an eye out for a Geocache when it's coming on time to find a campsite.

Note: The 40e system is only available in Western Australia. There may be other arrangements in the east but I don't know about it.

Can anyone tell me were to get all my detector equipment in Melbourne
Personally bloke I wouldn't shop Melbourne. I would contact http://phasetechnical.com.au/ he is a sponsor here and Minelab Dealer who could pretty much set you up with anything you were after. The advantage being he is a seasoned prospector and also will not sell you rubbish that you do not need. Often this can be the case with "chain" store salesman. Let him know what you wish to do and he will advise you best way to go plus an aftermarket service second to non. I am sure plenty of others will vouch for his integrity 👍 He would also be able to supply Double D Leather products which are also top quality items . https://doubledleather.com.au/

Thank you for taking the time. If you were going to organise a trip around aussie starting say around march were would you start witch
airport would you land at.
I’d reckon go to WA as coming from the UK spring, the weather although warmer than you would be used to, would be starting to cool off.
Fly in to Perth and get to Kalgoorlie and try a little prospecting as soon as possible. You will need to work out what you need and time to organise your travelling, camping, prospecting gear and access permits. You don’t want to be too far from a large place like Kalgoorlie where you can do all that conveniently.
After the winter there and other places in the very extensive WA goldfields and with some experience under your belt, I‘d consider heading to Victoria in about late September. The Victorian goldfields are more compact in size but offer good rewards for experienced operators who can work the deeper ground.
Approaching Autumn, I’d then think about Queensland.
Just my thoughts, but most important get prospecting as soon as you can because that is the quickest way to work out what you really need if you want to be successful.
Edit I’d second Moneyboxes recommendation regarding phasetechnical who provides good support to all our members and who could probably do a major items package for you. Remember though there are lots of other little things that you will need from eskies, clothing, picks, chisels, hammers and other tools you will need on the road and out in the goldfields.

Last edited:
Personally bloke I wouldn't shop Melbourne. I would contact http://phasetechnical.com.au/ he is a sponsor here and Minelab Dealer who could pretty much set you up with anything you were after. The advantage being he is a seasoned prospector and also will not sell you rubbish that you do not need. Often this can be the case with "chain" store salesman. Let him know what you wish to do and he will advise you best way to go plus an aftermarket service second to non. I am sure plenty of others will vouch for his integrity 👍 He would also be able to supply Double D Leather products which are also top quality items . https://doubledleather.com.au/
G'day WW welcome to PA, as Diginit said definitely contact Nenad at Phase Technical, money well spent 👌

Im going for the GPX 6000 With the 17"coil. Can i just ask a Question I Know I have to get a 40e but do I have to get a
Miners Licence for all the different Locations As travel around Thanks G
Im hopping your post was for me what a superb idea im going to plan my arrival on your suggestion and I may get some
help with my paper work. Do you know if they run all year round id be grateful for any help or do you think its something
Angus at Prospectors Patch could help me with. Thank You
Gary,
If your after a 6000 or any other Minelab detector don't go to Prospectors Patch as they only sell Garret.
About 100 yards to the East of Prospectors Patch in Perth is Reeds Prospecting which sell Minelab.

Gday Gary
Not trying to discourage you mate
just be aware , you are going to need a long shopping list and a large amount to purchase the things you need when you arrive.
Best of luck mate i really hope you succeed 👍🏾
I know exactly what your saying Iv seen on ebay people selling trucks with all the camping gear. hopping one may be
available when I arrive. Iv seen half decent Trucks with between 200-300K on them for around 30kor40k aussie dollars
and then p/patch for all my detecting gear. I know the chances are im going to end up at a 4x4 Garage. Thats why I was planning
to start my adventure from Perth the patch and the garages are all within 15kg of the airport. Iv Enquired about bringing it all back
to the uk but its about 10k so it may be I just sale it all before I leave. But while im in Australia im going to apply to the FIRB to invest
in Australia and hopefully Extend my stay. But one way or another Im go to have one hell of a good time I just hope you dont see me on
the 6 O"clock news. The head line Will read some stupid pom in the outback. Best G

Plenty decent vehicles available on sites fully equipped for under 20K if you stay away from Landcruiser. 4x4 are bringing premium prices currently in Oz. Pajero is your best bang for buck and would go petrol as firstly petrol is cheaper than diesel and also repairs to engine if needed probably a quarter the price. Just a crook injector pump on a diesel can cost 5 to 10 K. You can fit a complete petrol motor for that. You will need a fridge as apart from ice not lasting long you won't buy much were your going 🤔

https://www.facebook.com/groups/507...3556061055&notif_t=group_highlights&ref=notif

Once you know where you landing in Oz I'm sure there will be some members in the area that can help you out 👍 Enjoy the adventure 😉

Plenty decent vehicles available on sites fully equipped for under 20K if you stay away from Landcruiser. 4x4 are bringing premium prices currently in Oz. Pajero is your best bang for buck and would go petrol as firstly petrol is cheaper than diesel and also repairs to engine if needed probably a quarter the price. Just a crook injector pump on a diesel can cost 5 to 10 K. You can fit a complete petrol motor for that. You will need a fridge as apart from ice not lasting long you won't buy much were your going 🤔

https://www.facebook.com/groups/507...3556061055&notif_t=group_highlights&ref=notif

Once you know where you landing in Oz I'm sure there will be some members in the area that can help you out 👍 Enjoy the adventure 😉
Thank you for taking the time. im a nissan navara fan iv had four and put 100sk on them I was looking to get a nissan patol theres a nice
one on ebay at the moment and its lovely but its petrol and its a new v8 crate motor and id love it but driving all over Aussie at maybe 10 to the gallon
would cost a fortune but it is only 20k Id need 6 jerry cans with me or have i got this all wrong.... PS please convince me i love V8s

Gary,
If your after a 6000 or any other Minelab detector don't go to Prospectors Patch as they only sell Garret.
About 100 yards to the East of Prospectors Patch in Perth is Reeds Prospecting which sell Minelab.
Iv seen a lady prospector called Chrissy from out back prospecting purchase one. That was in perth from a chap called Angus
God help me i cant get anything right
G'day WW welcome to PA, as Diginit said definitely contact Nenad at Phase Technical, money well spent 👌
Thank you lads is Double D my size

Every Thing keeps changing i was going to land in perth in march so i could get everything within a few miles and now i dont wont
to be in perth in march it to hot so im looking at melbourne but i feel lost everything seems so fare away so i think maybe put off a little and
wait until may and then fly in to perth and go back to my Original plan BUT IM WORRIED TO DEATH my Pathetic government will have
a LOCK DOWN The longer i wait the more chance i end up loosing..

I’d reckon go to WA as coming from the UK spring, the weather although warmer than you would be used to, would be starting to cool off.
Fly in to Perth and get to Kalgoorlie and try a little prospecting as soon as possible. You will need to work out what you need and time to organise your travelling, camping, prospecting gear and access permits. You don’t want to be too far from a large place like Kalgoorlie where you can do all that conveniently.
After the winter there and other places in the very extensive WA goldfields and with some experience under your belt, I‘d consider heading to Victoria in about late September. The Victorian goldfields are more compact in size but offer good rewards for experienced operators who can work the deeper ground.
Approaching Autumn, I’d then think about Queensland.
Just my thoughts, but most important get prospecting as soon as you can because that is the quickest way to work out what you really need if you want to be successful.
Edit I’d second Moneyboxes recommendation regarding phasetechnical who provides good support to all our members and who could probably do a major items package for you. Remember though there are lots of other little things that you will need from eskies, clothing, picks, chisels, hammers and other tools you will need on the road and out in the goldfields.
Thank you i fell at home in Coolgardie and Kalgoorlie iv been Studying maps for months iv even picked out
the peace of land im going to build my new house on. Thanks Gary........ I really do Appreciate you advice

Of course you don't have to go 4WD. A good friend of mine recently purchased a new Toyota Hiace and tows the quad bike on a trailer. He's found that the new Hiace is too low to the ground but there are other vans around with better ground clearance. I have a Mercedes MB100D setup with a fridge and water tank. I have a couple of small aluminium ramps so that I can slip the Honda 250 quad in the back. Most gold prospecting areas can easily be accessed by 2WD and the quad gets you the last few kilometres to be right on the patch. It consumes about 9L diesel per 100km.

If I go with the wife we take the big Isuzu 4WD motorhome and tow the two quads in a covered trailer behind. On my own I'm quite comfortable in the little Merc.

When we travel we mix it up a bit. You can't prospect for gold all the time because of the weather so we also look for gemstones. Sometimes we just do the usual touristy things and we're always keeping an eye out for a Geocache when it's coming on time to find a campsite.

Note: The 40e system is only available in Western Australia. There may be other arrangements in the east but I don't know about it.
I Know What your saying Im planning to pay a visit to pete diddy i know i spelt that wrong.... were the caves are with the opal Is I intend
to go everywhere and even pat willy before i go on the lase. And i wont to do some panning.

Latest posts