Hello from a new member!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have often viewed this forum so thought it was about time I joined! A bit about myself....
I have been interested in fossicking since I was a kid, guess my dad started it looking for old bottles in the 70s....then he got me an orange Tandy metal detector and I dug up the whole backyard finding tons of junk. Fast forward a few decades which got taken over with general life events and very little time for fossicking however a couple of years ago I found myself with a nice tax return and some spare time, courtesy of being unemployed for the first time in my life, so I bought a 2nd hand GP3000....which promptly got nicked before I could learn half the controls on it....so....another year gone and after much research I got a good deal on an SDC2300 which came with a free GoFind20. I figured I'd start with the gofind on the local parks which has been awesome fun but I quickly realised the limitations of the machine so bought an X-terra 705. I still haven't properly used the 2300 but the 705 is brilliant. I still feel very self conscious in the parks and tend to go just on dark. I am currently researching and planning some trips out of Sydney, to places like Tuena, Nerriga and Hill End. I would like to share my meagre experiences and learn from yours!
Cheers,
Tapdogs1.

Welcome TD1,
If you've got half a passion then you're on a winner, it's the passion not the expectation of finding a motherlode that breeds winners.
Strange that you haven't fired up the SDC in anger too often, a great gold sniffer and I've pulled a few chinese coins as well.... pings them really well in pipeclay type soils (down to 18").
Enjoy the relic hunting and don't forget to use the SDC in the goldfields.
Cheers T.

I did try the 2300 but it went beserk, so many targets I couldnt dig them all and they were all nails and junk, I thought Id save it for an area where there was less junk, ie. Somewhere more remote. I tried it in the bush in a likley area but just got bullets and wire....

Welcome to the forum Tapdogs1 yes the 705 is a great relick detector and you can do a lot with it so enjoy the forum and detecting
Roy

Welcome Tapdogs1,

I have just bought a SDC and I am purposely going to junk riddled areas to get an ear for the machine. I've found a lot of iron junk but I am finding it easier to hear the dulcet tone of lead shot over all of the screaming after only three outings. Plus I've found some cool relics amongst the trash.

Good luck and all the best on your adventures.

Malcolm.

Latest posts