Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello I'm Sam! I'm new to the forum and joined in the hopes of learning more about fossicking for gold in Victoria. I'd have to say Vo Gus Prospecting on YouTube really inspired me to get out there.
I love his videos, I too suffer from mental illness and being able to go out into the outback, follow in the footsteps of Australians before me and really just get away from society is important for me.
Over the past couple weeks I've really been considering fully investing into gold prospecting equipment. I've never really been able to hold down a job. I am rather talented when it comes to breeding and keeping aquariums which I had hoped to one day evolve into a business. And now recently I've been thinking about what it would be like to mine gold at a recreational level, as well as run an Aquarium Business "Like an online PetStock not a literal SeaLife Zoo Aquarium".
So I bought a Mine Labs panning kit, went down to Slaty Creek with my father in Bendigo, shoveled matter into a bucket from a few different spots using Vo Gus suggestions, like bends, points where flow dies and bedrock areas. And actually managed to find probably like 0.05 grams of gold which I know is nothing but I honestly didn't expect to get onto any gold so fast.
It's really blown my mind. I imagine how much money have I just walked past in my life while out in the bush. I've probably been within 100 meters of some 6 digit stones while hiking and not even known it.
I would really like to be my own boss one day. I can't really handle the pressure of letting someone down other than myself.
My next investments (Over probably a year for the more expensive bits):
River Sluice <$100
Rock Crusher >$300
High Banker >$500
Dry Washer >$1000
I don't expect to get rich or anything. I just want to live you know, or at least make a living.

Hi Digger 117. Prospecting is one of those things that as you intimate is not necessarily about the result. For many it is as. It is about as much the freedom that one feels when you take yourself away from the rat race and into the outdoors. Nevertheless you don’t want to see the effort you put in be totally fruitless.
I’d suggest pushing up a high banker ahead of a rock crusher as searching for reef gold would require a different approach to working streams. Maybe also a dry blower would not be as effective in the wetter soils of Victoria.
As far as metal detecting the cheapest way to ensure some success would probably be a 2300 at around about $2.5K secondhand so that is a big step.
Whatever you purchase however always think of items that will have a resale value and in that sense expensive items may not that expensive after all.

Hi Digger 117. Prospecting is one of those things that as you intimate is not necessarily about the result. For many it is as. It is about as much the freedom that one feels when you take yourself away from the rat race and into the outdoors. Nevertheless you don’t want to see the effort you put in be totally fruitless.
I’d suggest pushing up a high banker ahead of a rock crusher as searching for reef gold would require a different approach to working streams. Maybe also a dry blower would not be as effective in the wetter soils of Victoria.
As far as metal detecting the cheapest way to ensure some success would probably be a 2300 at around about $2.5K secondhand so that is a big step.
Whatever you purchase however always think of items that will have a resale value and in that sense expensive items may not that expensive after all.
The first paragraph hit the nail on the head for me.
Good luck Sam, i wish we could sluice and high bank in WA for the warmer months.
I always bring samples home when out bush
To pan off, don’t get bugger all, other than a reminder of where I’d prefer to be.
The garden soils slowing turning red.

Dry Washer >$1000 is your dearest in the list. I would put that $1000 dollars towards a high frequency VLF or a pre-owned PI detector till you get hocked on prospecting and start locking at West Aus and other dry gold states.

Latest posts