Headphones or Earphones suggestions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had a couple of pairs, and the cable strains always tend to crack leading to the connection eventually letting go on them. The usual culprit is a too shorter cable, and the straight headphone jack poking out the rear does't help the problem. Minelab really should think about fitting a right-angled jack to them, especially with detectors like the Etrac.

I had the same issue as Goldpick, the cable cracking and breaking apart right down to the copper and eventually breaking off right at the head phone end, if it was anywhere else i would have tried to repair it, so they just ended up in the bin. Before that tho had no issues at all, always a crisp clear sound.

Regardless of Brand; most are not rated for the UV we get here in Australia.

Many are just indoor Audio Models that have found a nich in the Detecting field

Specials will and do have different cords, but even the outdoor ones are not that great.

I have 2 KOSS on my bench for repair.. One for new PADS and the other had it curly totally fall apart.

A: New Curley cord (NOT Heavy duty) and Right Angle plug is the usual work I do on them..

But no $ in it.

Curly Cord and new Plug is 30% of the cost of a new one. Then add in time AND Postage and maybe new ear pads... = Get a NEW set. SAD but true.

Even the GG and others at $250 plus can be repaired but it is the Parts and postage and then TIME . And many do not want to pay for that... Most people today want quick and cheep and Fail to understand the costs involved for any repair or modification.

Those of us from the old school understand and I have had people pay me for a repair and parts and postage and they could have got a new pair... But they liked the old ones - worn in and maybe LUCKY ones..

The stupid thing with the straight plug is that everytime you put the detector down to check/dig the target, you are yanking the cable at 90 degrees to the detector, so no wonder they crack after little usage. My second pair on the Etrac cracked not long after purchasing the detector, and that definitely wasn't due to UV degrading the plastics.

Might be more cost effective to just get some Grey Ghost NDT headphones, then at least you can just swap out the cable if having connection issues in the field vs buying countless UR30's.

Gone wireless now, so not a problem anymore. ;)

Wireless might be the go Goldpick. I will see how the Seenheiser goes and if the same thing happens I will definitely be looking into the wireless.

Deteknix WireFree WR kits are now in. Transmitter with 6.35mm plug goes into your headphone socket, then receiver with 6.35mm socket goes on your body, and you can plug any headphones into it.

Basically allows you to use any headphones, including ones with short or thin cables. Only potential negative could be the quoted 6hr operating time. $110

1459986620_1447280414.png

Image shows the transmitter with a 3.5mm plug but the ones I've got in have the 6.35/ 1/4" plug.

Is the six hour operating time considered as actual continual usage, or more related to the standby time? I gather the 6.35mm plug is also right angled?

I wouldn't mind giving this a go on the Racer :)

AngerManagement said:
I like my Deteknix wireless for many reasons...

But like everything, always pros and cons.

Anger Manager what are the pros ? and also the cons on wireless ? Is signal as clear as hard wired ? No interference from transmit / receiver signal ?
Contemplating going that way
Cheers

As to pros and Cons...

1: Any battery operated device will have a up time. But these are Quick to charge.

2: If you use the Headphones - then the standard ones have small ear pads. I like; SOME do not. ( Not so good on a windy beach)

3: Have their own true volume control - as battery powered. I never had a problem with volume or clarity. EVERY ONE HAS different hearing

4: Transmitter is light and reasonable robust.

5: Not submersible :)

6: Standard Headphones are light weight

7: I never found LAG when swinging and pin pointing.. Then again if you swing like some, I doubt any sound system will be able to keep track.

8: I never had Interference... Used inside on the TV and have BT and Wireless in the house

But I have to assume that if you stick a PI unit and or some Phones or some other transmitting device in super close proximity... That they could always be a chance... But I have not had and one of teh Guys in NZ said he had no issues around parks with MASIVE Lighting systems and Transformers and cell towers etc.. ( Then again - it was NZ LOL)

If you get the Transmitter and the Receiver and then use your own headphones. Then many performance issue etc will come back to the Headphones you use.

here is one for ya, with me new detech 15 dd it picks up my TD 80's when sifting thru thu overburden ;gota find a pair with no metal in em l so hate my new coil for finding pellets at 4 inches cheer all :lol:

Get yourself some black widow headphones much better than the Koss, with the 4500 and 5000 battery it triggers the amp in battery so targets boom through,been using them for years, they get sweaty in summer but what on ear headphones don't,

The Gog Phones I sell are custom made to my specs. They are like a Grey Ghost / Sunray Pro Gold hybrid.

- Grey Ghost Style housings
- Leatherette ear pads like the sunrays
- Very heavy duty curly cable with cable strain relief and right angle Amphenol plug
- 150 Ohm midrange freq response drivers
- No volume controls or mode switches etc for the purest signal path.
- High noise blocking

The work great on GPX, CTX, GP series, SDC and the GPZ as well as the Nokta/Makro machines.

See here for pictures: http://phasetechnical.com.au/product/gogphones/

Cheers,

Nenad

I can give a review with Nenad's Gog headphones. They are very sensitive in the mid range frequencies, no muffled low mids like the koss have. I detected a 0.25 piece of gold at 6 inches with the SDC using these headphones, would have missed it with the koss for sure I reckon. They reject outside noise very well and are quite comfortable to wear for long periods. I was digging very small targets/fuggets at good depths while using them over 4 days.

Only thing was I noticed they were a touch quiet and I ended up setting the threshold on setting 4 instead of my usual 3. Was nothing to worry about though, they performed very well.

Thanks for the feedback Heatho. The headphones have a bit of a running in period, and actually get a bit louder/crisper over time.

With the SDC, I've always run on thresh 4. I find that threshold 3 is where it just comes in, but on threshold 4 it seems to smooth out the background noise that bit better and targets stand out nicer. This is with headphones or boosters.

Cheers

Latest posts