Headphones or Earphones suggestions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ozziii said:
Ah ok, thanks, thought I might need a volume control but wasn't exactly sure why, I'll give them a try with them just sitting around my neck to see what its like but will look around for a pair with noise canceling & a volume control.
Don't really need them just thought we would try them because they were cheap.
I wonder if a volume control could be fitted some how.

Unless you have the tech skills; postage and parts and time = not worth it to make / mod for some one.. nothing nasty meant by it. But we are a consumer society and with a bit of research. Plenty of off the shelf products that will suit/exceed what you want...

I often do not even repair my own stuff any more - replace it...

a few year ago; I would replace the laser in my dvd/cd sound system and spend time to align and set it up and test. Wife would bitch about the bits and an Osc sitting in the lounge room.

These days; lucky to switch on my big bench power supply let along the Osc...

Goldpick said:
Pretty cheap on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3-5mm-M-...177975?hash=item3a9c3a6d77:g:g28AAOSwAL9UcVic

Even better, some cheap RPG headphones with individual volume controls for each ear. These are damned cheap, usually costing $50 at most detecting shops. My pair has outlasted all the Koss headphones I have used.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BASIC-HE...843973?hash=item43df573805:g:3hcAAOSwgQ9Vm7ED

I just need the plug without any wire, just the 1/4 inch adapter that takes the 3.5mm plug, think there only a few bucks as well from jaycar.
I should really just order a pair from ebay, them ones you linked would be fine & being that cheap suits me too,haha. My brother decided to get these Aldi pair, seen them & only 2 pair left so decided we would get them didn't think about volume controls.
Might get the pair you linked to next week I think.

AngerManagement said:
ozziii said:
Ah ok, thanks, thought I might need a volume control but wasn't exactly sure why, I'll give them a try with them just sitting around my neck to see what its like but will look around for a pair with noise canceling & a volume control.
Don't really need them just thought we would try them because they were cheap.
I wonder if a volume control could be fitted some how.

Unless you have the tech skills; postage and parts and time = not worth it to make / mod for some one.. nothing nasty meant by it. But we are a consumer society and with a bit of research. Plenty of off the shelf products that will suit/exceed what you want...

I often do not even repair my own stuff any more - replace it...

a few year ago; I would replace the laser in my dvd/cd sound system and spend time to align and set it up and test. Wife would bitch about the bits and an Osc sitting in the lounge room.

These days; lucky to switch on my big bench power supply let along the Osc...

Yeah you are right, I don't have the tools & haven't done very much with electronics so would have to pay someone to do it, not worth the cost, specially when headphone like the ones GP posted the link to are so cheap. Not even sure if we would use them much but worth having a pair anyway.

Does it make much difference if headphones have noise cancelling or don't have it, what does the noise cancelling actually do.
Thanks.

Noise Cancelling does exactly that, reduces outside noise. Good for listening to music when commuting. I was out with a customer yesterday trying his modded 4500 with some detech coils and comparing to my 5000.
He had a pair of NC headphones and when I listened to them they were okay but not very loud. I handed over my Sunray Pro Golds and said try these. His words "wow, a big difference". Back at the carpark he said he wished he'd saved up a bit more and got the Sunrays.

RPGs are okay but only 32 Ohm and don't pick up the faint signals that well. Also a straight cable isn't good if going down to your detector. Another option would be if you have a belt mounted B&Z with the curly cord going to your detector, that'll give you a Volume Control and you can use any headphone you want. But the sound you'll get from the Sunray's plugged straight into the SPP will be superior.

Thanks Nenad, I won't worry about any noise canceling items then.
I would love to get a top quality pair of headphones but thats not an option for me, I have to stick with something cheaper for now & hopefully they will be better than using no headphones at all.
I seen the 32 ohm mentioned with the RPG headphones, not sure what that means but is it better to have lower ot higher ohms.
The belt mounted B&Z, is that a speaker or booster of some sort.
As you can tell I know nothing about headphones, I always thought they were all the same & that some just had better quality speakers than others.

Thanks.

Asked on a local FB group about borrowing a pair of headphones to see if I like using them before buying a pair but not many helpful or generous people around here so will just buy a cheap pair & see how I like them.
Its strange this hobby of prospecting, other hobbies I've been involved in (photography, RC car racing) had lots of people willing to help others out, & I do the same when I can, but with prospecting it seems there isn't a great deal of people around who will take the time to help someone out, whether that be with info or like in my case, let someone try something before they go spending money.
Atleast this forum has good people willing to help those who are new to the hobby.

Try hunt down a pair of Koss TD80's - they are the next best thing to the Sunrays.

The B&Z is an audio booster.

I think I saw your post about headphones - I would've helped but I'm 700 kms away :)

Thanks Nenad, I went ahead & purchased the RPG pair that GoldPick posted the link too, they will do for now & should be much better than nothing, & will let me see how if I like using them, although I need to get used to them anyway as it will be better than trying to hear speaker when noise around or windy. I'll check out the Koss pair as well, might try them later on if I think I need something better.

Got headphones today, gave them quick test in backyard using little .87 gr nugget we purchased, they seem to work well.
With threshold just loud enough to hear on the detector I plugged h/phones in & played around with both volume dials, had it so I could only just hear the hum & was able to clearly hear the tone when the coil passed over the nugget, bit windy outside as well but it made no difference, unlike with no headphones the wind makes hearing hard. Just need to try & find a good spot now where I can hopefully find my first nugget. Thanks for all the help.

As far as I understand Ohms is the empedance, most speakers are 8 or even 16 Ohms if your running a big PA these amps will run down to 2 or even 1 ohm. .running 2x8 Ohm speakers is 4 ohms...4x8ohm speakers is 2 ohms..so you won't blow the amp up..ohms has nothing to do with Hz..low 50 Hz. Low bass 20,000hz high..The design of your speaker will determine the Hz..low bass or tigh treble ..

Baldy said:
As far as I understand Ohms is the empedance, most speakers are 8 or even 16 Ohms if your running a big PA these amps will run down to 2 or even 1 ohm. .running 2x8 Ohm speakers is 4 ohms...4x8ohm speakers is 2 ohms..so you won't blow the amp up..ohms has nothing to do with Hz..low 50 Hz. Low bass 20,000hz high..The design of your speaker will determine the Hz..low bass or tigh treble ..

Thanks Baldy, nut sure why I thought the ones I got were 32 ohms, must of seen 32 ohm somewhere I thought it was the RPG headphones,haha, but just checked & it says the impedance is 8 ohms, frequency response is 25Hz - 18KHz & sensitivity is 100db. I'm not sure what it all means but they seem to work alright, gave them a test for an hour or 2 & they were good to use, well they were good too me anyway, haven't used any others to compare them too.

100 db is decibels..loudness 100 is right up there heavy rock..rock on..

Yeah they may have changed, I'm just going by what it says on the Ebay advert though so not sure how accurate that is.
Either way, from first tests it seems like they work well, once used a little more I will be able to get the volume worked out & set better, as it seems when you adjust one side it also effect the other side, might just be me but I if I turn one side down the other goes down as well so have to get them set up to suit my hearing.

Is there a volume control on each ear? Some RPG's only have one volume knob, which does the overall volume for both ears.

Yeah one on each side/ear. Sort of getting it worked out, just need to try & listen with each ear separately, set the left ear then adjust the right.

Hi guys,

One year on, what are the thoughts on the TDK WR700's?

Just found some for under $80, wondering if they'll all still getting the good reviews?

Anyone had any dramas with the KOSS-UR30 headphones?
I had problem with the sound cutting out when plugged into the module.
Its under warranty so i had it changed over but the same thing happened again on the 2nd UR-30 so i just ordered the Sennheiser 598 headphones, not cheap but i had enough with the KOSS. :mad: