Headphones or Earphones suggestions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mbasko's post is spot on, I can't really add much to that but to say I did really like the Gog's. They have no muffled low mids like the Koss do and a quite bright mid range which is favourable for detector use. They are a touch on the quiet side but this is not a problem as they seem to reveal very subtle target responses. One nugget I picked up last trip I think I surely would have missed without them. They have excellent outside sound rejection such as wind and other noises also, even on very windy days they are quiet and allow you to concentrate on those really subtle responses.

Syndyne really rates the Sennheisers highly also. With either brand you couldn't go wrong.

Hi all, just to add a bit of info about the Sunrays - they are in limbo land and have always been too hard to get. Also price kept going up which left no margin in them, and I didn't want to increase the retail price again. Kind of sad as a lot of people love them.

The Gogs are made by Gordon Heritage in the UK and the fit and quality is a step above the Sunrays in my opinion. They are not the loudest headphone you can buy but the fact that they block out so much outside noise you can really hear the small threshold changes we seek. The other benefit is they seem to work with all detectors, SDC, GPX, CTX, Eureka Gold, Gold Racer etc etc. Brilliant on the GPZ too.

I think being a tad on the quiet side is not really a hinderance either, it can really help reduce listening fatigue from the SDC's threshold tone being in your ears all day. Listening fatigue is a real problem with using headphones for long periods of time and anything that reduces it a bit is a good thing.

Hi all,
All great info here.
I initially tried the Sennhiesers last year with great results as they are what I use in studio for drumming. I found them really bright sounding on the SDC and they bring out the feint threshold warbles that are usually the nicer targets. Also running them on the GPX5000 now.

I was impressed with the Gog phones too. I saw Heatho dig the deep, feint target that would definitely not have been heard using the Koss or SDC speaker. Great isolation from outside noise influences too!

I have slight hearing damage from the music side of things so I hear well at higher frequencies. This is partly why I'm sure that the HD280's work well for me. :)

Regards,
Shauno.

I use the Nugget busters NDTs and the Grey Ghost NDTs and the Whites ProStars which are the same as the NBs and the GGs but with the Whites Logo on them,

The Grey Ghosts have a Noise limiter in them to stop you getting your Ears blown off and the come with Duel Volume controls which is great because you can Balance the sound to suit your hearing, Also there is a Version called the Rattlers which only have one ear cup so you can listen out for snakes and other predators. So far I have never had one pair fail in 11 years,

With the NDT models they come with a spare lead that just clips in to place, NDT = No Down Time, they have mylar speakers and are all but Bullet proof,

hope this helps, John.

I have been running the COGs with my 7K for most of this season. I got these as I could not get the Sunrays and they have the same speakers.

As stated by others they block background noise out very well.

They are well made and have stood up to plenty of punishment from me. I have stretched the cord, dropped them on the ground, banged my pick against them with no issues at all. They are tough.

They are not as slim a profile as the Koss's or Sennheisers which is my only criticism as you need to carry your pick on your shoulder whilst using the 7K and it will hit from time to time. Just adding character scratches to them I guess but a little annoying!

Sound clarity and quality is brilliant. Slight threshold changes are more noticeable IMO which has been the key to improving my gold intake dramatically this season.

I wouldn't go backwards from this level of sound quality.

Just my opinion hope it is helpful.

Cheers

Reef dog,as stated previously I now have and have used a set of Gogs and I agree with everything that you have stated. So far I find them the best I have used. I received a set from Woody today, they look good, have their own padded case. They have a switch to cancel outside noises(triple a battery), all necessary gold plugs, a curly cord, very light and according to Woody these headphones that are custom made, especially for metal detecting, are the BEST. I hope to compare them with the Gogs in the next couple of days. He has a full running explanation on his web site, I think it's worth having a look.
Thanks, regards to all,Leroy.

Reef dog, I don't want to confuse you, I think I left out some punctuation in my post, the ones from woody are the new ones I haven't tried yet.

Cheers Leroy and thanks for your comments.

Good luck out there mate look forward to hearing how you go.

Hi all, testing of woody's phones. Of course everybody's hearing is different I can only give my personal feelings on the workings and reliability of these particular headphones. I am also comparing them with the Gogs. Price wise of course, woody's are quite a bit cheaper.Woody's are smaller and to me they felt a little uncomfortable,I think I could get used to them. As far as hearing the faint signals etc. they were as good as the Gogs. HOWEVER, the switch that cuts out the outside noise and interference as far as I was concerned,made them far to noisy.I never put the switch on and they did the job for me. Some may find them a little too quiet,but my hearing isn't much good so others may find them just right.
Between the two of them I think I would lean towards the Gogs but with what you get for the money (case,etc),I consider Woody's better than the originals.My personal feelings of course.
Regards. Leroy.

hi , I used the hd280 pros for a while and they have quite a long curly cable and block external noise very well, they are also a very flat or even headphone (typical studio)....

In terms of the sdc adapter, for a mate, I got his original headphones, cut the cable close to the plug , then put a female 6.5 plug on it , then male 6.5 on the headphone end, Soldering skills required... DONE....

Well , just bit the bullet and ordered a set of Gogs from Nenad , will report how they go mated to me new Detec 15 on the 3500 taken two weeks off at the end of the month ! A week at Castlemaine caravan park and a week at Dunolly , and hopefully some colour to show cheers Jed :cool:

I got the Deteknix wireless headphones sender receiver From Nenad tried them out on my F1A4 level 3 and all good no interference and no real delay great service great price I'm happy with them . :D

Mungass said:
Well , just bit the bullet and ordered a set of Gogs from Nenad , will report how they go mated to me new Detec 15 on the 3500 taken two weeks off at the end of the month ! A week at Castlemaine caravan park and a week at Dunolly , and hopefully some colour to show cheers Jed :cool:

Did the same myself RE the Gogs, like a kid in the lead up to Christmas, can't come soon enough :)

Thanks guys, you should be impressed how much better you'll hear through the Gogs, both through mid range clarity and how much external noise (distractions) they block out.

Gog headphones plus Deteknix wireless setup and a lightweight battery. Good headphones, much better than the standard Koss headphones.

1471043781_jin-4.jpg

Hey All :)
So I'm over buying the KOSS UR30-28 Headphones ...... as Leads are not long enough and plugs are #*#@ :mad:
But I'm no Tech head :( so need your opinions on other brands .
I only run headphones ( no ear plugs ) I have adapters to go from 3.5mm to 6.4mm ?
I don't know if standard headphones will do the job or are they are special sort ?
OZZIE OZZIE OZZIE :D :D

Mod has visited and fixed a few things.
Oi, Oi, Oi,... :)

Latest posts