Headphones or Earphones suggestions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Sunray Pro Gold's I use (and sell) are not exactly Noise Cancelling, but are built into industrial ear muffs, so block out plenty of external sound, and you don't have to worry about extra batteries or charging them like Noise Cancelling headphones.
Sound wise they are a lot clearer than UR-30's, remind me more so of the TD-80s, but the faint signals are a touch brighter on the Sunrays. I now use them on all my gold detectors, CTX3030 when near the surf, and Tesoro Bandido (use the volume controls to turn it down).

I also have two sets of Sony headphones and they are extremely clear. I use them on calm days on the CTX3030 - allows me to hear all the subtle audio information very nicely.

Interesting i have never seen this type of headphone before. Could be worth a shot, especially if it reduces chatter from the threshold caused by emi?
Ok, I thought it removed or Ironed out noise from interference, but it seems to only remove ambient noise. It would be interesting to have a go with a pair though. :)

Head phones like the GG or the Sun Ray pro' (that are a lot easier to get and a bit cheeper) cut the noise caused by rubbing the coil on the ground' to me this is the most important, also the noise from an external Spk can sometimes sound a bit tinny especially from the TDI.

Here a pair for you Roscoe so you can hear those Croc's sneeking up on you!

Gray Ghost Rattlers

1427371195_image.jpg

just a quick question to all those that use headphones

what are the different types of headphones to use?
If the male adapter is the same size, then will any headphone work in the detector?

cheers Kane

Any headphones, ear phones, will work, and you can buy adapters from small, to big, and vic versa. Try what you have at home, they may do the job well.

Cheers for that
I'm guessing tho, the better quality ones, would have a better sound?

I use the Jack Lange in ear , under chin headphones because I like to wear a wide brimmed hat . IMHO they work as well as the supplied Koss UR 30 brain cookers which came with my detector.

Cheers

You don't need wide band 20hz-20khz headphones for detecting, actually better sound quality in my opinion means very little for metal detecting in achieving a great target response.

The Grey Ghost headphons only have 200hz - 3khz frequency response and are regarded as excellent for detecting by a lot of users. They only reproduce what your detector will output. It's actually good sensitivity between those frequency ranges that will make a real difference.

This site seems to be the only one that explains it well.

http://www.texaspremiumdetectors.com/metal_detector_headphones/gray_ghost_NDT.html

This site explains detector outputs and gives a good explanation also.
http://detectorpro.com/Compatibility.htm

So technically Grey Ghosts are useless for listening to music but in essence should be perfect for detecting. Most detectors output a mono signal, stereo is essentially not needed for detecting.

Read up on "qual loudness contour" or "Fletcher-Munson" curve to understand why, they are graphs which represent the way the hunan ear perceives sound regarding frequency vs loudness. Loudness and volume are 2 different things. It's a little confusing at first, but that's why adverts on tv are louder than programs and are still legal to broadcast, the volume is the same but advert "loudness" is way above and the reason adds jump out and try to grab attention.

I could write a whole essay on this. :)

So many things make a headphone good or bad for metal detecting

1. Comfort - both initially and after 6 hrs

2. Sound isolation - wind noise, the scraping of your coil, walking etc all distract you from hearing faint signals

3. Robustness - self explanatory

4. Length of cable - too long and it's a pain, too short and you can't use it on all detectors

5. Stiffness of curls - too stiff and it will put strain on connections, too soft and it will soon stretch and become sloppy

6. Frequency response curve - any audio output device will have a response curve. Headphones for dj'ing will have a pronounced bass, and a little bit of top end boost. Gaming headphones have massive bass, very crispy top end, and a bit of a virtual surround sound about them. Studio headphones try to be quite flat, i.e. a natural response. Multi-tone detectors like the CTX3030 work very well with these studio type headphones, as you get equal loudness on the range of frequencies. For most gold detectors, the response is very focused on the mid-range frequencies, so headphones with a very clear and transparent mid range and preferably a roll off on bass and high end frequencies will really help you to hear faint signals. The two headphones I've tried that fit this model are the Koss TD80's and Sunray Pro Gold's. The technics rpdh1200s you may have seen in a few of my YouTube videos have awesome sound, but these day's I'm using the Sunray Pro Gold's 90% of the time as they tick all the boxes.

I forgot to say, in my early days of hiring detectors and constantly getting rubbish headphones, I bought a pair of Genexxa brand headphones from Tandy, and took them along. They weren't very loud but extremely clear! I found my first ever nugget using them on a 2100. The built quality was rubbish and they ended up falling apart - I only wish I'd kept the drivers!!

Was in Aldi & seen the Bauhn noise canceling headphones, only $40 so thought we would get a pair to try on the SPP.
Not sure if they are any good for detecting though, has anyone tried them, no volume control but does that matter or is a volume control needed, the detector has the threshold dial for volume.
Doesn't matter if they aren't any good for detecting, just thought we would try them anyway, just have to get an adapter for the plug as its a small 3.5mm one not 1/4 inch.

Believe me, you will require an inline volume control on headphones for the SPP, not unless you want to go deaf when running over strong signals, iron junk etc. About 2 seconds was enough for me using bud earphones with no volume control and threshold set to dead quiet. The threshold dial doesn't control target volume, just the background threshold, good targets will still scream through like a banshee when you least expect it. ;)

Ah ok, thanks, thought I might need a volume control but wasn't exactly sure why, I'll give them a try with them just sitting around my neck to see what its like but will look around for a pair with noise canceling & a volume control.
Don't really need them just thought we would try them because they were cheap.
I wonder if a volume control could be fitted some how.

Latest posts