Gold, Gem and Treasure (GG&T) Magazine - Interesting articles & other info

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GSSI said:
Can GPR be used to find gold?

While GPR is in use with many professional mining companies, the technology is not well suited to finding coins, gold nuggets or buried treasure. Metal detectors are more suitable. GSSI recommends checking with local, state and federal laws before beginning any treasure-hunting activities.
Source: http://www.geophysical.com/gssifaqs.htm

Minelab have developed this with Niitek:
http://www.gaconsultingsrl.com/collaborations/cses/niitek/groundshark-handheld-dual-sensor-hds-2/
A member here asked for a retail price awhile ago & from memory it was $35,000.
Minelab have been awarded a contract with the US army to develop the technology for their use. Who knows it may be the next big step in detector technology one day?
http://www.minelab.com/go-minelabbing/news?article=270305

Yep that was me. About 35k for a 1 unit purchase. I guess price might go down if there was a bulk purchase. GPR is used mostly to detect voids. It cant really distinguish metals is my understanding of it. What it might be good for is detecting where drives and shafts are that are closish to the surface that may have been concealed or filled. I think there is a member who has used GPR in the army. I spoke to him about it at the Creswick meet last Sept. He didn't seem all that impressed by it. What we need is for Tony Robinson to come out and bring his Time team geofizz guys with him. ;) :D

I've pondered how to build a GPR for years, but have gotten no closer - figured I was dreaming. Did play with similar at Davis Base in the Antarctica (on the ice cap) in 1980 for measuring ice depth over bedrock. Never got permission to operate whilst flying, so its operation was limited.

1455425625_ice_radar.jpg

The main issue (apart from price) is that you have to go very high in frequency to get the resolution, and with higher frequency comes less penetration. I've done my own SWAGs for small nuggets 1~2cm, and figured I'd be better off with my 4500.

Best get Tim on here to invent one.

I was surprised when the postie came today as apparently I had to go to my local post office to pay for an item that had insufficient postage... not sure what it could be, I trotted off mind spinning with possibilities. Got to the post office... there's a large A4 or so size envelope with my name and address on the front, no postage and no return address. The postie gave me the option of not paying and just sending it back but curiousity got the better of me and I paid... left the store, tore open the top and saw inside the latest issue of Gold Gem and Treasure magazine... so I'm assuming this is the first of my issues from the subscription I bought a week or so again (great turn around time frame)... but curious as to whether I'm expected to pay for postage? My guess is that it's a smallish operation and in the midst of filling orders postage just didn't get stuck on my envelope... but was curious what others experience has been.
If I end up winning the metal detector I'm more than happy to overlook this paying for postage thing ;) :p

Mine comes in plastic and a printed address displayed from inside. Prdtty sure it has the postage paid print. I reckon they manually sent you the latest copy for your first issue and forgot the stamp. Should be fixed from now on I'd think. Good Luck

Winterwood said:
Mine comes in plastic and a printed address displayed from inside. Prdtty sure it has the postage paid print. I reckon they manually sent you the latest copy for your first issue and forgot the stamp. Should be fixed from now on I'd think. Good Luck

That sounds possible... I figure it was most likely an oversight... either way I'm happy to have the latest edition to flick through :)

Hi all,
I was wondering if someone could tell me whether Australian Gold Gem and Treasure magazine is still around and in print, as I haven't seen it in years.
Thanks

Thanks Fnx50 :Y: . I can remember buying it in the 80's, but haven't seen it since. Looks like I'm heading to the newsagency tomorrow.

hi jacko5 yep im sitting reading the latest (i hope) issue right now reasonable value at $6.50 and you can still win a gpx5000 id love to go to tibooburra bunnings
Pagan P

pagan prospector said:
hi jacko5 yep im sitting reading the latest (i hope) issue right now reasonable value at $6.50 and you can still win a gpx5000 id love to go to tibooburra bunnings
Pagan P
Well I'll definitely be picking up a copy. To win the GPX 5000 do you need to subscribe? If so I will be (its the only way I could afford one at the moment :playful: )

My 2 local newsagents no longer stockit. Theyboth told metheycannot sell the quota required so distributor will notsupply. :rolleyes:

i get mine delivered . and look forward to it . ( cover to cover in 3 minutes you must be a speed reader ) i read it all and find some very interesting stuff in it .
if you subscribe you wont miss an issue and i suppose its cheaper too, never really checked .
johno

beach detecting addict said:
Hi Jacko mate i've got heaps of old copies if you would like some. Just pay the postage and there yours.

just shoot me a pm.

cheers Rob
Thanks Rob, I appreciate that generous offer, and I'll let you know.

I just bit the bullet and subscribed for a year, so I guess I'll see if its still worth the read.
Thanks to everyone for the advice :D

Latest posts