Gold, Gem & Treasure (GG&T) Magazine to end subscription mail outs June 2023

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hotrob

Rob
Reaction score
My next edition of GG&T was overdue so I rang the number on the mag only to get a recorded message that the magazine would resume production next month but there would be no further mailed subscriptions...... only available through a news agency in future. Further, any out standing subscriptions would not be honored or refunded unless the claimant supplied a whole list of of info including name, contact details, number of editions paid for ect.
To my mind subscriptions are money in the bank for a magazine, similar to gift vouchers, and it seems a backward move. Not to mention the fact that a lot of people who have paid in advance will probably not bother trying to redeem their money (including me).
Anyway I don't think I'll give them any more of my hard earned.:mad:
Rob.

https://www.goldgemtreasure.com.au/

Update for all subscribers:

Due to an ongoing issue with our database, we are no longer able to mail copies of the magazine to subscribers. This means that the May issue was the last issue to be sent. We want to assure you that every effort will be made to refund any subscription monies owed. In order to achieve this we will need to receive written requests from each subscriber, with the following details:

• First Name

• Last Name

• Address

• Email

• Mobile number

• How you subscribed (cheque, credit card, money order)

• Amount paid and when it was paid

We sincerely apologise to every subscriber for this inconvenience. The magazine will still be published every month but from the June issue onwards it will only be available in newsagencies.

Try the ACCC, if you've paid for it and don't receive it, it's a breach of Australian consumer laws.

But they have our postal details.
That info that Mbasko posted could have been sent to each subscriber with a refund application ....... not finding out until you ring to inquire is poor form I reckon.
Rob.
Maybe they don't?
If they've been unable to send out magazines to each subscriber due to a database issue then it's possible they've lost those details i.e. addresses, phone numbers, emails etc.
Based on the info they're after I'm assuming that's what's happened & they need to match subscribers up through other records like financial hence how you paid, when & how much.
They can't contact or refund people if they've lost their database of that information.
It would be reasonably easy to just provide the info & get a refund IMO.

Try the ACCC, if you've paid for it and don't receive it, it's a breach of Australian consumer laws.
They are refunding once subscribers provide the info they need to do that.
I don't think the ACCC will do anything if your not prepared to provide some pretty simple info to get a refund. By offering & giving a refund they aren't in breach of anything. Different if they just said tough luck no refunds.

One way or another they have lost their subscriber database but where is the off-site backup of the database? If no off-site backup exists that is simply unforgivable for a business that relies on IT to manage subscriptions.
Oh well, time to fossick through bank statements as I think I subscribed for multiple years last time!

it's mostly pages of Advertisements now anyway indispersed with a few stories
I disagree davsgold, I get a good read every month from the old GGT mag. Been flipping those pages since the early 90’s. Get a lot of great info and ideas, plus I find the history they provide super interesting. I still read that mag from end to end as soon as I get it.
As mbasko has said, they’ve probably had a fatal data event and rebuilding that network is too tough and costly for them in the current environment.
Just my tuppence.
Cheers - Mr Tee

I wrote this for the Gem and Treasure some years ago but for those who didn't see it, it may help you gain access to private land.

GAINING PERMISSION TO ENTER PRIVATE LAND​

As many good places to detect are on private property being able to access these places is very desirable. We have accessed many private properties and while we have found a good deal of gold on the old diggings it is the new ground, away from the diggings that often deliver better and bigger gold. Here are a few tips to help you gain access to those private properties.

First of all be friendly and open. If you are with your wife make sure she accompanies you to the door of whomever you are asking. A couple stands a much greater chance of gaining permission than two blokes standing there in cammo gear, especially if the husband is out on the farm and the wife answers the door.

Be sure you do not have any dogs with you, and don’t simply hide the dog. Should you hide the dog and the landowner comes over later to check on you and sees the dog not only will you be ordered off but every other landowner will soon know about it and you will stand no chance of getting on private land in the district again.
Carry no guns: guns are on the same level as dogs when it comes to allowing people on the family farm A gun means a certain and resounding NO!
Never attempt to gain access to private land with a large group. Any group of over four people can be intimidating and will usually result in permission being denied. Two people are the optimum number, preferably a couple. It is however OK to have a couple of people ask for access and explain they are with a club, for instance and would like the other club members to also be allowed on. This will usually work if you explain how your club works and the rules they must abide by.

Should you gain permission: Listen to any guidelines the owner should give you and abide by them. If he says you can’t detect in a certain paddock because the ewes are lambing or the cows are calving you better believe he means it.

Fill in all our holes and leave no rubbish. Failure to do this will most certainly ensure a refusal next time you want to visit that spot again. Don’t think the farmer won’t check on where you have been, he will.

If you do OK and get a few nuggets it is a nice gesture to give the farmer a bit of gold off his own land. We have often done this and have always been welcomed back and not only that, the farmer sometimes suggest spots on his, or neighbours, land for you to look once he is sure you are doing the right thing and is comfortable having you wander around his paddocks.

In fact we have become good friends with some landowners over the years and shown our appreciation by dropping in a Christmas present like a bottle of port and a small gourmet cheese and a packet of biscuits. They are always amazed that a casual visitor will go to that trouble simply to be allowed to detect their property and they will appreciate your thoughtfulness. If you are feeling especially generous because you have done well a small nugget made into a pendant for the owner’s wife will ensure you are a friend for life.

One way you can get yourself into trouble is to gain permission and build a rapport with the farmer only to sour the relationship. Many people have unknowingly brought about their own expulsion from private property by taking a mate onto the property. The mate may later bring one, or several, of his mates onto the property without you and when fronted by the owner they will say you said it was OK. The result is everyone loses. You have to be very careful who you let know about your private land access.

When you have finished for the day drop into the house again to let them know you are leaving. They will always be curious about what you have found and it is only good manners to show them your finds for the day.

One example of how gaining permission can work wonders is a property in the Golden Triangle. We asked permission and it was granted but the old chap who owned the property was a bit suspicious to start with. When we visited we would take a few stubbies and stay for a chat. He was a widower and a bit lonely on his farm as his son lived in town.

Over the years we found considerable amounts of gold on that property and we always showed him our finds. When the old bloke was younger he had worked in mines in the district and had always maintained an interest in gold but not enough to bother looking for the stuff on his own land. He was as excited as we were when we found a few nuggets and was always asking if we had tried this or that spot. We remained good friends right up until he died and the property was sold and planted over with grapevines.
The irony was that while we were still detecting that property we met a local who said that old bugger used to take a shotgun to people detecting his land and asked how the devil we got on to the property. We replied that we had simply asked.

As many good prospecting areas are on private property it may turn out you cannot gain permission. Should this happen thank the landowner for his time and retire gracefully. There are a lot of other spots to look at and some may even be better.

Good manners and honesty will help a lot when attempting to access private land. On little idea that we use that helps a lot is giving the land owner a business type card with all your contact details on it. He will feel much better knowing who you are and where he can contact you if need be.

I wrote this for the Gem and Treasure some years ago but for those who didn't see it, it may help you gain access to private land.

GAINING PERMISSION TO ENTER PRIVATE LAND​

As many good places to detect are on private property being able to access these places is very desirable. We have accessed many private properties and while we have found a good deal of gold on the old diggings it is the new ground, away from the diggings that often deliver better and bigger gold. Here are a few tips to help you gain access to those private properties.

First of all be friendly and open. If you are with your wife make sure she accompanies you to the door of whomever you are asking. A couple stands a much greater chance of gaining permission than two blokes standing there in cammo gear, especially if the husband is out on the farm and the wife answers the door.

Be sure you do not have any dogs with you, and don’t simply hide the dog. Should you hide the dog and the landowner comes over later to check on you and sees the dog not only will you be ordered off but every other landowner will soon know about it and you will stand no chance of getting on private land in the district again.
Carry no guns: guns are on the same level as dogs when it comes to allowing people on the family farm A gun means a certain and resounding NO!
Never attempt to gain access to private land with a large group. Any group of over four people can be intimidating and will usually result in permission being denied. Two people are the optimum number, preferably a couple. It is however OK to have a couple of people ask for access and explain they are with a club, for instance and would like the other club members to also be allowed on. This will usually work if you explain how your club works and the rules they must abide by.

Should you gain permission: Listen to any guidelines the owner should give you and abide by them. If he says you can’t detect in a certain paddock because the ewes are lambing or the cows are calving you better believe he means it.

Fill in all our holes and leave no rubbish. Failure to do this will most certainly ensure a refusal next time you want to visit that spot again. Don’t think the farmer won’t check on where you have been, he will.

If you do OK and get a few nuggets it is a nice gesture to give the farmer a bit of gold off his own land. We have often done this and have always been welcomed back and not only that, the farmer sometimes suggest spots on his, or neighbours, land for you to look once he is sure you are doing the right thing and is comfortable having you wander around his paddocks.

In fact we have become good friends with some landowners over the years and shown our appreciation by dropping in a Christmas present like a bottle of port and a small gourmet cheese and a packet of biscuits. They are always amazed that a casual visitor will go to that trouble simply to be allowed to detect their property and they will appreciate your thoughtfulness. If you are feeling especially generous because you have done well a small nugget made into a pendant for the owner’s wife will ensure you are a friend for life.

One way you can get yourself into trouble is to gain permission and build a rapport with the farmer only to sour the relationship. Many people have unknowingly brought about their own expulsion from private property by taking a mate onto the property. The mate may later bring one, or several, of his mates onto the property without you and when fronted by the owner they will say you said it was OK. The result is everyone loses. You have to be very careful who you let know about your private land access.

When you have finished for the day drop into the house again to let them know you are leaving. They will always be curious about what you have found and it is only good manners to show them your finds for the day.

One example of how gaining permission can work wonders is a property in the Golden Triangle. We asked permission and it was granted but the old chap who owned the property was a bit suspicious to start with. When we visited we would take a few stubbies and stay for a chat. He was a widower and a bit lonely on his farm as his son lived in town.

Over the years we found considerable amounts of gold on that property and we always showed him our finds. When the old bloke was younger he had worked in mines in the district and had always maintained an interest in gold but not enough to bother looking for the stuff on his own land. He was as excited as we were when we found a few nuggets and was always asking if we had tried this or that spot. We remained good friends right up until he died and the property was sold and planted over with grapevines.
The irony was that while we were still detecting that property we met a local who said that old bugger used to take a shotgun to people detecting his land and asked how the devil we got on to the property. We replied that we had simply asked.

As many good prospecting areas are on private property it may turn out you cannot gain permission. Should this happen thank the landowner for his time and retire gracefully. There are a lot of other spots to look at and some may even be better.

Good manners and honesty will help a lot when attempting to access private land. On little idea that we use that helps a lot is giving the land owner a business type card with all your contact details on it. He will feel much better knowing who you are and where he can contact you if need be.
Still sage advice now.

Hi folks.
Does anyone have for sale, or know where I can buy a November 2023 back-issue of GG&T magazine?
Cheers
Eddie

Latest posts