Inventions and getting results

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All

Just thought this may be of interest for some of you as well as a good primer for others who are considering doing something themselves.

I have several ideas which I am working on, from businesses to inventions. Having not sold anything it will be interesting to see how they go if any or all.

Coming up with ideas and designs has always been easy for me, the hard part is actually getting something to market. Knowing the hows and what to do's is pretty daunting. Should I get IP protection do I need a patent who can I tell and so on. This is before you have even done anything and it is already paranoia.

Using a current prototype and the fact it is gold related, I am interested to hear if what I am doing is of interest and has a market. Not a case of build it and they will come, more a case of, is there even a market for this?

After some testing I found some good and bad points about it so far. It is designed for spot testing not processing huge volumes.

1. Can be used dry, or wet. But does NOT like in between, I am sure that is the same with panning and sluicing, if it is not wet enough the gold does not drop out of the material.

2. Could take reasonable sample sizes but worked best around 1/2 - 3/4 full. Worked material well and expelled waste easy. What I am unsure of is IF a largish nugget was in there if you would notice it? I think you would and it wouldn't fall out but needs further testing.

3. Can be used under water to take samples. This I see as a bit of a game changer for getting material out under rocks, even divers/snorkelers/waders could use this for samples. Even under running water you can get samples. Not sure how it would go for gems etc... again further testing but would think it may work?

4. It was simple to use and would be very easy for children to use.

5. Improvements needed in getting the concentrate out, but design alterations in an actual working model would be easy enough.

6. Could be carried and while you walk along to your next spot collecting samples and then classifying down to concentrate for final panning after a few areas or at the end of the day.

7. Very quick, with further testing could see samples being had within seconds. Lets say under a minute fairly confidently.

So that is a bit of heads up on what I am working on, I know it is a bit cryptic, however I have probably said too much already ?

Ballpark price approx $30 - $50

Does it sound of interest in general concept?

Also does anyone know an Australian manufacturer of Gold Pans already, I would be keen to open some discussion if anyone could assist.

Please let me know and if you have had something to market what did you learn, good and bad as they say.

Thanks
Westaus

Gday westaus, l know that ghey make gnome gold pans here in Ballarat at Sovereign Hill if thats any help.
Cheers steve
ps: I think that your pricing seems right on the money as well.

Also, for that price not many people would bother copying it, I wouldn't bother to patent it, just make sure it's tested really really well so there is no need for modifications, then make a big wack of them and flood the market with it.

Sounds good, how much dirt does or can it test in one go?

Price sounds alright.

When you say samples....you mean samples of dirt, rocks and gravels etc?

Don't know of anyone in Australia making gold pans.

Simmo said:
Kim Hillier is the maker of the Turbo pan.
He is quite easy to contact.
http://www.turbopan.com/pages/contact-us

I have made contact with Kim and now organising to get NDA's in place and then some details. It will be difficult to disclose too much public as you can appreciate.
The first step has been made so I shall keep stumbling ahead. This is where the panic sets in, what now!

Thanks for the other ideas, comments and support. Fingers x

davent said:
Good luck mate, hope you make a motza, love to see success!
Sounds interesting, and I will buy one when available, even though I dont know what it is yet, lol!

You guys crack me up, I have had a few PM's offering support on an unknown item so that is awesome :)

This will certainly not be my retirement idea, however it would be nice to get something going. This is more important. It was like when I started my own business a few years back. The challenge was to actually do it. Which I have and am doing. This project is the same, get a result and get it finished and achieve this goal.

Hi Westaus ,
I've been down that path , your invention would need to be able to sample more material quicker with excellent results then anything presently on the market .
With out giving away any details of your invention how long would it take to process down a standard 10 litre bucket of dry material to show any gold ?

If it is a gravity concentrator ' the same question almost but what amount of heavies are you left with after each bucket before panning out ?

Cheers
Outback .

Westaus I used to help out a bit in the 80's.

I joined the Osborne Park group - http://australian-inventors.asn.au/

Then I dropped in and helped a couple of guys get their ideas off the ground. I was into CAD drafting/drawing and enjoyed tinkering with AutoCad in my spare time. You might get some help and advice from these guys. You can't get a patent without detailed drawings and specifications.

Phil

Outback said:
Hi Westaus ,
I've been down that path , your invention would need to be able to sample more material quicker with excellent results then anything presently on the market .
With out giving away any details of your invention how long would it take to process down a standard 10 litre bucket of dry material to show any gold ?

If it is a gravity concentrator ' the same question almost but what amount of heavies are you left with after each bucket before panning out ?

Cheers
Outback .

All good points Outback, ones that any product that goes to market must have and that is a point of difference. It is difficult to explain, however this will compliment you panning and exploration. While it will say "pan" a 10lt bucket of material. This I would consider the second stage after you have used the device to identify that there is Gold there. Hope that makes some sense.

Moneybox said:
Westaus I used to help out a bit in the 80's.

I joined the Osborne Park group - http://australian-inventors.asn.au/

Then I dropped in and helped a couple of guys get their ideas off the ground. I was into CAD drafting/drawing and enjoyed tinkering with AutoCad in my spare time. You might get some help and advice from these guys. You can't get a patent without detailed drawings and specifications.

Phil

Thanks mate, I have just started teaching myself some 3D design software so I can mock up and change things. Lets say this will take a bit of time, however I have been able to design the prototype very basically into the software at this stage. It always amazed me how people drew with CAD etc...

I am a non active member of the WA Inventors association, however their meetings and location has always been a problem for me. I will look into the link you have given and may look at them as it is closer to me as well.

The whole patent issue is one I am struggling with in all honesty, at the moment cost is an issue and no way I could do this, so not sure how this may proceed, there is also the option to register a design, while not as strong as a patent it does hold some protection and the costs are significantly cheaper. Juts don't know.

Basically mate, if you think it's going to get copied by the Chinese don't bother to patent anything as it will be almost impossible to enforce it.
You just need to market your product well and show how it is superior to any copies. BTW you will probably enjoy 6-12 months of no copies due to the time it takes for the copy cats to catch on and start producing something. They aren't going to copy you till you get successful, so hopefully by then you have made a few bucks.
The other option is do nothing and die with your design.

Westaus said:
The whole patent issue is one I am struggling with in all honesty, at the moment cost is an issue and no way I could do this, so not sure how this may proceed, there is also the option to register a design, while not as strong as a patent it does hold some protection and the costs are significantly cheaper. Juts don't know.

There is a easier cheaper way :) Consider an innovation patent , will give up to 8 years protection , you can lodge the application yourself & it's fast to be granted !

How to do it ~ https://www.ipaustralia.gov.au/pate...ication-process/decide-if-you-have-innovation

Good Luck

Latest posts