Garrett ATX gold finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A little beyond metal detecting considering most people don't go detecting with bulldozers and jack hammers :lol: Does go to show how much gold is left just out of reach of our detectors

nuggetino said:
A little beyond metal detecting considering most people don't go detecting with bulldozers and jack hammers :lol: Does go to show how much gold is left just out of reach of our detectors

and should reinforce the importance of recording GPS locations where you found patches

even if you cleaned it out yesterday to a depth of 14.5 inches , in 5 years there might be a detector that goes to a depth of 3 feet.........

you might be rich enough that you dont need to go back there , but "our" grandchildren might like to be told where to search with the Minelab GPX9000

it doesnt hurt to consider a future for people other than ourselves

Sorry I've got to agree with Jaros, this seems a little unbelievable? So he takes all that gear out to prospect for two days and can't find the time to get back out there..... For circa $80k of gold..... In two days.... Ok.... I never trust video's where it is edited like that, why not show one long shot? If I had seen the jack hammer followed by the digging and then the nugget find, I would be a lot more inclined to believe.

Oh and hi! First post :)

PS: Anyone own a bulldozer? :lol:

I'll take a guess here and say they were pushing to prep the site for mine construction, he must be a mate of the GM or land holder.

No one takes or hires that much equipment to flail a garrett over the ground. Don't get me wrong I'd take 2 KGS anyday!

Wintersnake said:
I'll take a guess here and say they were pushing to prep the site for mine construction, he must be a mate of the GM or land holder.

No one takes or hires that much equipment to flail a garrett over the ground. Don't get me wrong I'd take 2 KGS anyday!
Push and detect is a pretty popular method of finding gold in Australia.

Balx said:
Wintersnake said:

Yeah I have a mate in WA that does it with his brother and another mate that does the same in NT with a couple of other share holders but none of them have that level of equipment and they both use trommel and sluice set up so they get everything, like a small scale mining company.

The mystery deepens. Perhaps garrett meets landholder and offers retainer. Perhaps old mate was born with a silver spoon. Maybe his wife just left him for the coin and relic guy? Maybe he's not the real "owner" of that gold at all. Holy conspiracy Batman.

Wintersnake said:
Balx said:
Wintersnake said:

Yeah I have a mate in WA that does it with his brother and another mate that does the same in NT with a couple of other share holders but none of them have that level of equipment and they both use trommel and sluice set up so they get everything, like a small scale mining company.

some do just push and detect BogiZemlja shows an example of that in his gold is where you find it 9

I think Wal has hit the nail on the head as to why they are using an ATX rather then a 5000

WalnLiz said:
Ahhh the benefits if detecting behind a dozer. Pity he had to mention the detector shop and give away his real reason for mopping up dozed nuggets. Great "add", and great nuggets. :|

of course if they hit a decent reef their modus operandi may change hence the bringing along of the jack hammer

Hi everyone,
one of my mates in the east told me I was becoming popular on this forum so I thought I would drop in and say hi.
From reading the thread I can see you have a million questions so fire away. It looks like a good forum.
Matt

Good morning outboard, I use an ATX because in my opinion it is the best tool for the job. I don't have any EM problems, I can use the Iron Check for bits of blade, and I get a very stable threshold using the DD coil. I should say that this is a virgin area that the old boys missed. We only have a small lease over it that we have been waiting for years to get granted so we can push it. Primarily we are professional prospectors and only look for new ground.
There were about ten or so kilos that I know of come off this spot previously with the biggest bit at around seventy something ounces, but most of the nuggets were multi ounce bits.
The place has been thrashed over the years by detectorists with every detector type that can work in that ferocious iron and manganese wash.
I just also need to say that we are not obligated to endorse any product or company.
Cheers everyone,
Matt

Hi Matt,

Everyone dreams of prospecting like that and the finds you are getting are amazing, puts my gram of fine flour gold to shame :D
have you any plans to process the piles of dirt for the fine stuff?? Surely there is much left in there the detector has missed. A decent trommel set up could end up paying well.

Cheers,
Matt

Matt Duncan said:
I just also need to say that we are not obligated to endorse any product or company.

Yeah but how much did Garrett pay ya to do those ads for em? :lol:

Hi everyone,
thanks for the warm welcome. I tried to go on the say hello section but wasn't quite sure how to post it so I may do it here instead.
My background is that I started prospecting full time in 1976 and I use prospecting loosely because it was mainly just detecting around the old patches, but in those days there was gold everywhere and I was one of the lucky ones that learnt on gold. My first detector was a Garrett manual deepseeker, you used to wave it over a tin can and if it beeped it was working.The Whites came out a little later, and between the two of them they started the new gold rushes that have lasted through to modern times. Things have come a long way since those days. Over the years I have got gold in just about every way there is. Dry-blowing, Wet plants, shafts, little open cuts, pushing and detecting and just plain detecting. I have prospected in many countries all over the world but like it best here in the West, I understand the ground and the structures that make the gold.
Ok let me try and answer these questions in ascending order:
mbasko. Garrett pay us nothing to do "those adds" we choose to endorse them because we like their products. Garrett USA paid us to take them out into the West Australian goldfields last year before the ATX was released to the market. Our brief was to take them to the most difficult ground we knew of here. We had the best week or so with them and they are just the nicest guys. The payment was token and we did it more because we wanted to and I was interested in another PI detector coming on the market.

MJB hi. We wont be processing the dirt there. In fact we stop pushing dirt even when we are still getting little nuggets. If you are using machinery the two most important words you have to learn are "payable gold" sure it is fun picking it up but you wont be doing it for long if it costs you an ounce and a half to get an ounce. There is not enough fine gold in the dirt we push to make a profit with a wet plant or a dryblower.
Blind_Freddie thank you for your warm welcome. If you like gold stories I have some that I think will hold your attention. I have only just started doing the video thing and to tell you the truth it is to get people to look at our web page. Every year we have lots of people that try and come out detecting with us. We never used to take anyone. Last year we decided to maybe put back a bit into the industry and run courses on all aspects of the way we prospect. We have a young guy from Queensland who moved over here so he could come out and learn from us. His name is Stevo and you will see him start to pop up on some of the new videos we will put on. We have added a new tool to our stable. We call it FLOD and it is a quad drone. Stevo flies it.
Hope you are getting to know me a little more as I am sure I will get to know some of you in the future.
Cheers,
Matt

Hey Matt maybe a silly question but as MJB has asked after do you ever give permission to tackle those piles? What is profitable and what is left may be two different things to two different parties. Alas I will not make it that far west but its a interesting thought nonetheless. Thank you for showing up here its turned an interesting video and bit of tongue in cheek fun into a thread with some substance. Most members here don't get to rub shoulders with serious or full time prospectors so I'm sure your contributions will be an insight. I cannot help but ask though as was hinted at why the lack of visible excitement? Has the weight of time and responsibilities sort of dulled the edges? Welcome aboard I hope you find the place to your liking.

Welcome to the forum Matt. Interesting and enviable history in prospecting. I was born too late to make it to the big gold rushes. Never gave much thought to the garrett ATX though if it's working well for you why not. Need someone to pick out those pesky tiddlers? :lol:

Hey nuggetino, mate you may not have missed the big rushes. They may not have been found yet. The early days were fun, there was enough gold for everyone and the ambient feelings on the various patches were of camaraderie. Every one used to show their finds for the day and there was never any patch jumping or moving in on somebody else detecging. I remember many nights at the National hotel in Sandstone where the bar was ringed in nice nuggets and specimen. I got distracted. What I want to say to you is look for your own ground. You will have much more fun and find better gold than if you stay within the safety zone of places found by others. You will always find bits and pieces around the old patches, and every now and then some one will walk over a lump, but at the end of the day there is nothing quite like the thrill of the chase and finding your own patches.
Which brings me on to you Goldtarget
I didn't realize I was being so blase' while digging up nuggets. I do still jump around and dance on the flat from time to time when we hit a nice patch. Let me tell you a story that still makes me look stupid and give everyone a good laugh.
I was in the depths of Victoria with a mate of mine, (who I will have to ask before I use his name on here) ... A little background, he had come out here and I had taken him out beeping. His first bit was a pretty quartz speci with about four ounces in it and we got over a kilo for the week biggest was just over 20 onz. Anyway he says to me come over to Victoria and find some big gold which I thought would be fun so I flew over for a week or so to have a look around. I was digging a noise down in your famous clays when there in the bottom of my hole was something I had never seen before in a detecting hole. Hey mate come over here and look at this. .over he trundles through the bush and he is saying what, what, what have you found. I reach down into the hole and pull out a big fat worm ... he just wandered away shaking his head. One other thing about that trip was I looked out to the edge of a paddock and couldn't believe my eyes. Stunned I walked over to where he was working and said Mate I have just seen something remarkable.. a giant rabbit... he just wandered off shaking his head yet again. I had just seen my first hare.
Any way I think my point is I do get excited it just depends what it is.
I am back out trying to catch up on the gardening, I will talk to you all later.
Matt

Latest posts