Garrett ATX gold finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for joining up Matt. It is fantastic to see hard workers kicking goals in their chosen pursuit. Good luck at your future sites and I hope you keep doing well. Cheers Rick.

Settle Wintersnake,

I don't see anyone handing over an ounce of gold, let alone 10 ounces. It's an advertising ploy.

Didn't you read the fine print under their course discription on the webpage. See below;

(As these are real prospecting courses we do not guarantee gold will be found on every course.)

Yeah I did read that Lambs, but you got to protect your self these days or people be suing the sh1t out of you.
I do realise it's a get out of gaol free card if a customer doesn't turn up anything.

Lambs73 said:
Settle Wintersnake,

I don't see anyone handing over an ounce of gold, let alone 10 ounces. It's an advertising ploy.

Didn't you read the fine print under their course discription on the webpage. See below;

(As these are real prospecting courses we do not guarantee gold will be found on every course.)
A lot of people were picking the crap out of this guy before he posted anything on the forum. I think he has provided proof that he has a bit of an idea on the subject of gold. He is entitled to offer what he is offering for a price. There is a number of people offering gold tours for a price. You don't get expert service for nothing. Only my opinion

G'day Matt, just going through your website and was a bit shocked with the prices you are charging. I know the logistics of what you are doing is not easy so a premium price has to be charged but I think the majority of people that take your courses will be expecting some sort of return in the way of finds to justify the outlay. Just a couple of questions. How many tours have you done so far and what were the results for the clients? Do you have any photos of clients with finds, I couldn't find any on your website.

kemjak57 said:
Lambs73 said:
Settle Wintersnake,

A lot of people were picking the crap out of this guy before he posted anything on the forum. I think he has provided proof that he has a bit of an idea on the subject of gold. He is entitled to offer what he is offering for a price. There is a number of people offering gold tours for a price. You don't get expert service for nothing. Only my opinion

Just as my comments are my opinion.

Hi everyone,
life is too short for he said, she said. I am still happy to tell a few stories on here for anyone that is interested.
I am off to have my dinner,
Cheers,
M@

Well done Matt , and thank you for enlightening us on all your hard work and persistence :)
I'm only a lurker on this forum and know very little about gold detecting. But the amount of thing I have read over the years about people finding a little patch and waving there detecter over it and that's where there story ends. They think it's cleaned out and very work out why they found a few specks.
My father always taught me "logic" is the pathway to understanding. I really admire you approach to finding where the gold is , and understanding why and how it got there , and how to find the next little surprise.
I kind of find it laughable people are shooting you down :) It's there opinion and I respect that , But just looks like of tall poppy syndrome and if they where doing well on there little patch I'm sure you and everyone else would be patting them on the back. I wonder how any little patches could be big patches that have been detected and now lost and forgotten just because a million detectors have been over it.
I've had very little $$$ growing up. And have worked very hard to get to where i am now. I'm 35 own my on home about to buy another , got a little money in the bank and I'm just about to go on my first oversea's trip to europe. I think paying $4k for a week of probably some of the best info out there available is cheep. And I'm sure there are quite a few well respected members on here that I'd pay $4k so spend a week with aswell. As far as I'm concerned knowledge is wealth , And if someone is willing to show and teach you what they have learned in a life time , and for me see it first hand in real time , is brilliant. I know for one , I'm better at face to face , hands on type learning , than being a text book kind of guy.
And personally I think the 10oz thing is fine. I'd be there to learn and experience , not to retire.
I'm sure just being on some untouched ground and to expirence nice popping something out of the ground photo worthy or memory worthy would be the rush.
As far as I understand most of us are here due to the fact we love the thrill of the chase :) and shooting someone down due to them sharing some interesting photo's and info is not cool , and so what this is his living , and who really cares if he uses an ATX , Gtx 5k or a dick smiths detector. As far as I can see everyone on here makes there own decision anyway :)
I think this forum is better with an interesting new face like Matt. And I'm sure over time he will bring more positives than negatives to this great forum , and if you don't like his information. It very easy to just not click on his posts. :)
Anyway , I'd love to follow Matt around with my crappy ATgold and find the picker's he missed ha ha

Tim

All this talk about wa gold . Geez .. Welcome mat .. I have a atx also I've had minelabs a XT 1700 and 1800 . But the garretts my first pi but I have played with the sdc and gpx a few times . But prefer the atx over the sdc. .I came to wa 20 years ago to go gold prospecting and just never got around to It. So I sold my machines . I have family living in cue that prospect and do quite well . So I'm fired up to get out and have a look. But the biggest problem I find in wa is finding new ground that's not taken up. And to get to the good stuff I'll need a 40e to hunt on a lease . And I guess that's what you've done. . Are there any pointers you can share in regards.

Timbuck said:
Well done Matt , and thank you for enlightening us on all your hard work and persistence :)
I'm only a lurker on this forum and know very little about gold detecting. But the amount of thing I have read over the years about people finding a little patch and waving there detecter over it and that's where there story ends. They think it's cleaned out and very work out why they found a few specks.
My father always taught me "logic" is the pathway to understanding. I really admire you approach to finding where the gold is , and understanding why and how it got there , and how to find the next little surprise.
I kind of find it laughable people are shooting you down :) It's there opinion and I respect that , But just looks like of tall poppy syndrome and if they where doing well on there little patch I'm sure you and everyone else would be patting them on the back. I wonder how any little patches could be big patches that have been detected and now lost and forgotten just because a million detectors have been over it.
I've had very little $$$ growing up. And have worked very hard to get to where i am now. I'm 35 own my on home about to buy another , got a little money in the bank and I'm just about to go on my first oversea's trip to europe. I think paying $4k for a week of probably some of the best info out there available is cheep. And I'm sure there are quite a few well respected members on here that I'd pay $4k so spend a week with aswell. As far as I'm concerned knowledge is wealth , And if someone is willing to show and teach you what they have learned in a life time , and for me see it first hand in real time , is brilliant. I know for one , I'm better at face to face , hands on type learning , than being a text book kind of guy.
And personally I think the 10oz thing is fine. I'd be there to learn and experience , not to retire.
I'm sure just being on some untouched ground and to expirence nice popping something out of the ground photo worthy or memory worthy would be the rush.
As far as I understand most of us are here due to the fact we love the thrill of the chase :) and shooting someone down due to them sharing some interesting photo's and info is not cool , and so what this is his living , and who really cares if he uses an ATX , Gtx 5k or a dick smiths detector. As far as I can see everyone on here makes there own decision anyway :)
I think this forum is better with an interesting new face like Matt. And I'm sure over time he will bring more positives than negatives to this great forum , and if you don't like his information. It very easy to just not click on his posts. :)
Anyway , I'd love to follow Matt around with my crappy ATgold and find the picker's he missed ha ha

Tim

Hello Tim,

Welcome to the forum.

Let us all know how you go on the course with Matt in WA. I'm keen to read your experience and how much gold you come home with.

Waiting with bated breath.

Lambi

Hi matt, welcome and thanks for sharing your info.

Hi Tim, I share your sentiments mate, people pay that and more to go on a weeks fishing charter up north (I will one day) and no guarantee of good weather and catching fish either, it's the chance you take on these trips and if the gold or fish aint co-operating then it's the information and knowledge you pick up from the operator/organiser/expert that you get to take home, either way it's still a great trip that you'll be talking to ya mates about for years to come.
If I wanted to find enough gold to retire I probably wouldn't expect it on Matts trip, but if I wanted to experience finding WA nuggets with the help from someone who does it for a living then I think it's money is well spent and wouldn't hesitate to book.
Some of us are quick to judge but not everyone is coming from the same back ground here, it's horses for courses I suppose, if you don't like then don't book a trip, to some it may be exactly what they've been looking for. For me, I will book a 10 day fishing charter up north before booking a prospecting trip any day but hey, that's just me ;)

Remember, it wasn't Matt who posted his video here looking for praise, he decided to jump in half way through to enlighten us about his going-ons after a fair wack of negative feedback, I for one have enjoyed his posts and think the way some have reacted to them is what I would expect to see on other forums which is a pitty :(

Matt Duncan said:
Hey nuggetino, mate you may not have missed the big rushes. They may not have been found yet. The early days were fun, there was enough gold for everyone and the ambient feelings on the various patches were of camaraderie. Every one used to show their finds for the day and there was never any patch jumping or moving in on somebody else detecging. I remember many nights at the National hotel in Sandstone where the bar was ringed in nice nuggets and specimen. I got distracted. What I want to say to you is look for your own ground. You will have much more fun and find better gold than if you stay within the safety zone of places found by others. You will always find bits and pieces around the old patches, and every now and then some one will walk over a lump, but at the end of the day there is nothing quite like the thrill of the chase and finding your own patches.
Which brings me on to you Goldtarget
I didn't realize I was being so blase' while digging up nuggets. I do still jump around and dance on the flat from time to time when we hit a nice patch. Let me tell you a story that still makes me look stupid and give everyone a good laugh.
I was in the depths of Victoria with a mate of mine, (who I will have to ask before I use his name on here) ... A little background, he had come out here and I had taken him out beeping. His first bit was a pretty quartz speci with about four ounces in it and we got over a kilo for the week biggest was just over 20 onz. Anyway he says to me come over to Victoria and find some big gold which I thought would be fun so I flew over for a week or so to have a look around. I was digging a noise down in your famous clays when there in the bottom of my hole was something I had never seen before in a detecting hole. Hey mate come over here and look at this. .over he trundles through the bush and he is saying what, what, what have you found. I reach down into the hole and pull out a big fat worm ... he just wandered away shaking his head. One other thing about that trip was I looked out to the edge of a paddock and couldn't believe my eyes. Stunned I walked over to where he was working and said Mate I have just seen something remarkable.. a giant rabbit... he just wandered off shaking his head yet again. I had just seen my first hare.
Any way I think my point is I do get excited it just depends what it is.
I am back out trying to catch up on the gardening, I will talk to you all later.
Matt

Thanks for the encouragement and positive attitude Matt and as a novice to prospecting any advice is absorbed by my brain like a sponge. Exploring new places away from the beaten track is where the adventure is at for me. I have been out for hundreds of hours looking for new patches to come home with zilch and the only regret is not have the funds to keep moving until that elusive patch reveals itself. Have been out the common ground and yeah I'll often come home with a gram here and there stolen from between a pile of trash or from under a thicket of blackberries but like you say it's the chase of discovering new ground that we dream of. Great to see someone living the dream!

Thanks for your posts Matt, and your demeanour. I guess there are always some people always look on the negative side of things first.
With your experience of finding new, virgin ground away from the known areas, do you have any tips that you are willing to share about how to pick out a prospect in the thousands of sq km of similar looking ground across the goldfields of the West?
My search for new ground is almost always adjacent to existing old areas
The good signs (quartz/ironstone/geological features etc) seem to be everywhere and there is only so much ground a detector can cover. What makes you stop the car and get out for a closer look?
Thanks again and good luck with your venture.

G'day Matt, Glad to have you Aboard.

Well I think its good that Matt has taken time out to share his tails etc, I watched his video a while back and thought YiKES when I saw the Top coming off the Ground and then I got A Million and one Questions about what If They Miss A Bit and Bury It ETC. And then I got Dreams Of wanting to Play TOO,
And now I see that Matt Gives people like Me the Chance, As for what he charges It's like anything that you Buy, No one thinks twice when buying a new truck or a GPX At 5K But these Lessons could Change your Life and without the Knowledge A GPX, ATX Is as much use as Stick and It is a lot faster than reading dozens of book and endless trips to the Bush with nothing to show,
I think people like matt can give us a Leg up,

Hi Ridge Runner,
Happy New Year mate and to everyone else that belongs to this site Happy New Year to you all. Ridge Runner thanks for the insight and I hope your year is full of golden surprises. I think most of you are enjoying my stories and I have done two more. I have done one called the "Wild Stallion Gold" and the other isn't posted yet but it is about one of the times I was doing gold in the states and Canada.
I am a member of few gold forums and rather than post all my stuff on each of them I just put it on my web page. The Wild Stallion gold story and video link is on Mates and Gold web page with a few other stories from other people and the youtube link is there as well. You need to read the story before you watch the video. The one on Republic gold will go on this week so if you think it may hold your attention please feel free to have a read. I am having fun putting my prospecting life up for everyone to share. People who know me have been asking me for years to write my stories down before I get too old and forget them, so I think this is the way I will start to do it.
So for those that are interested the link to Mates and Gold is www.matesandgold.com.au
Cheers,
Matt

Matt Duncan said:
Hi Ridge Runner,
Happy New Year mate and to everyone else that belongs to this site Happy New Year to you all. Ridge Runner thanks for the insight and I hope your year is full of golden surprises. I think most of you are enjoying my stories and I have done two more. I have done one called the "Wild Stallion Gold" and the other isn't posted yet but it is about one of the times I was doing gold in the states and Canada.
I am a member of few gold forums and rather than post all my stuff on each of them I just put it on my web page. The Wild Stallion gold story and video link is on Mates and Gold web page with a few other stories from other people and the youtube link is there as well. You need to read the story before you watch the video. The one on Republic gold will go on this week so if you think it may hold your attention please feel free to have a read. I am having fun putting my prospecting life up for everyone to share. People who know me have been asking me for years to write my stories down before I get too old and forget them, so I think this is the way I will start to do it.
So for those that are interested the link to Mates and Gold is www.matesandgold.com.au
Cheers,
Matt

Matt Your Welcome, when I get Back home I am going to looking in to this a lot more and in the mean time I keep looking a these pictures of Home, plays havoc with the Sleep but i'll get over it.
I know what you do is on A Big Scale but The Starting point is the same and what your teaching Applies to all of us, And I find the best way to learn this stuff is to make sure my Ears are switched on first and then my eyes, and although I know a lot of detectors inside out, This is a whole new Game to me, And there is something in it for young and Old. and the question WHY has served me well over the Years and its batteries haven't gone flat yet.
Keep up the good work, And Happy New Year to you and your Clan, Good Luck.

John

Latest posts