Finds from Sapphire bend, Oberon NSW

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1442616178_2015-09-19_08.42.18.jpg
seived off a birt of dirt last night too...

Fair few zircon mixed with quartz. .grabbed another 4 little blue sapphs today.. ill put a photo up later :cool:

Id just polish it n put it in a pendant as it is quite nice as it is but thats just me sometimes i think they look better natural as opposed to being cut but thats not for every piece of course

I thought the same its nuch a nice little stone itd be a shame to lose half to make two litte ones.

Mostly when you get stones cut you'd be lucky to get 30% of a Sapphire back, 50% would be a very good quality stone, almost perfect shape with no inclusions or cracks occuring during faceting and very lucky.

That little dogtooth is a nice blue on blue and would be able to be done in Thailand but you would get a very tiny stone back, wait till you've done a few trips and have quite a few stones, then put a parcel together to send to Thailand to be cut, save anything nice over 5ct to be cut here in Australia.

I've had hundreds of stones where you look at them and think hmmmmmm what a shame it's not clear or the right shape, has inclusions is too small etc. Finding a true valuable gem is difficult and they are few and far between but they are certainly out there, just gotta be lucky to get a good sized one.

Matturbo said:
It's starting to warm up out my way near sapphire bend, for the softies like Heatho that wouldn't come in winter :p Digginholes and I were digging 1am in the middle of winter at -3c lol

Ok I'll admit it mate, I am a bit soft when it's freezing cold like that. :D Looking forward to catching up soon for sure. Heading to Inverell next week for a week, after that I don't have any plans at all.

I reckon you fellas should come up to Inverell for a dig. :)

I been trying to get up there but don't have much time, I'm lucky to have got out camping this week in Stuart town with the family, nice spot and some exploring to do now ;)
But yeah I'm keen in the future.

I'm keen to do some detecting,
I'm hoping the st common is nice to me in the next few days.
And then gotta get a saphire fix. Lol

Digginholes said:
I'm keen to do some detecting,
I'm hoping the st common is nice to me in the next few days.
And then gotta get a saphire fix. Lol

Low and very slow mate at ST common, there is certainly gold there, I've seen plenty of small bits come out of it.

There is plenty of area there around the diggings but a lot of junk, heaps of shotty pellets too but dig everything and hopefully you'll get a piece or 3.

Hope you have a great time and best of luck.

Latest posts