Finds from Sapphire bend, Oberon NSW

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TheFossickingKid said:
Do you need a licence for native dog creek?

It is supposed to be designed fossicing area, I think around the bridge. But there are not any signs there. You better check with Oberon Tourist Information Centre.
Karl

1405644049_img-20140718-wa0000.jpg

popped up to Sapphire bend yesterday all was going good.

1405644155_img-20140718-wa0002.jpg

Then it snowed!!

1405644203_img-20140718-wa0001.jpg

Karl you were right......The snow is no fun!!

Oh that looks cold, the radio said it was snowing back in Inverell this morning after I left.
I must say I prefer black springs for digging sapphires, I must make it back down there again when it warms up a little.

It was cold here on the central QLD field the other week - but not that cold!! :eek:

Talk about extreme fossicking.

Greg&Nat said:
As soon as it started we were out of there,Still got a few!

That's the main thing. Yeah a bit damp and chilly for me too. You deserved a big one though for getting out there in that weather.

Greg&Nat said:

Visited saphire bend for the first time today, i actually remember looking at the hole in your first picture- the 2 nice boulders were a give away.
Well overnight the hole has filled with water and semi froze, like a thick slushy. An ok cover of snow blanketing the Oberon Plateau today, roads were very dangerous. Trucks stuck due to black ice.

Was almost tempted to have a go today but yeah it's proper cold out here today. 8)

Sounded pretty hellish up there from all the news reports Reeko, thought you may be out there chasing the snow. :) Get any good pics?

Hey Reeks,

Thanks for the update sounds like the conditions have even gone more down hill..... Can't pump out frozen water!!!

Hi

Just going back through old posts and noticed the rock in your hole. Is the hole left of the forestry sign or further in. I started a few of the holes 30m left of the sign a number of years ago a remember seeing a large rock but never had the time to get it out and haven't been back since. Looks like the boulder is sitting on top of the wash layer. Would have prefered if it was a little lower. Just to the left of the sign and about 40m in from the road there was some very deep holes dug. At the base of one of a large pine tree(i dont know how some of these trees are still standing) a guy pulled out a nice patch of stones and made some good money. Anyone got anymore photos of the Bend. Just want to see what it looks like now after nearly 6 years since last I've been there. Happy to point out in the photos to members where to dig.

Yours Prospecting

Conan