GENERATOR COVER

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

condor22

Mike
Reaction score
For years I have been wondering how best to deploy my generator when out bush, with my caravan. Yeh, put it under the awning, but swirling winds and almost horizontal rain can bugger that idea. Or under the van some have told me, but that option or the awning are somewhat dangerous with fumes depending on wind direction and it's noisy so close.

My last effort was a small $10 dome tent form Big W, worked reasonable well except in heavy rain, because of the shape and opening curving up the dome. (had to leave it open for the genny to breath.

So I have at last put my design talents to use and come up with a cover that I think will do the job.

1418605161_1_flat_pack.jpg

Made from 20mm poly pipe, some Tee fittings, a couple of 90 deg elbows and some 135 deg elbows.

1418605161_2_end_frame.jpg

The ends are glued together, the pipe just slides into the tee pieces either end, so it pulls down to a flat pack, fits under the van bed and weighs bugger all.

1418605161_3_feet.jpg

I've seen a guy in the bush put his genny under the awning and the rain water flow through to the point that the genny was sinking in the mud, so I thought "needs something to sit on. So the feet are made up of one plain end cap, one flanged end cap and about 25mm of 90mm pipe to join them and glued.

1418605479_4_frame.jpg

1418605479_5_genny_stands.jpg

1418605479_6_occy_straps.jpg

I had a tarp made up with corner and centre eyelets, 3 occy straps not only hold the tarp on, but hold the pipe into the end frames.

1418605601_7_cover_complete.jpg

1418605601_8_complete_2.jpg

1418605601_9_complete_1.jpg

The centre eyelets each side can be used to tie it down with a tent peg. The genny can breath, the power outlets sre under cover and the sides can face the wind direction. The genny can be padlocked via chain to a tree or the van A frame and it can be far enough from the van where noise and fumes are not a problem.

Hope this idea will help others.

One more mod to do - going to put 2-3 3mm holes into the flange of the feet so that water can drain if it gets in. I will use them flange up so if the genny vibrates and "walks" it wont fall off the feet.

Latest posts