Home made highbanker

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,
Not sure about whether I'm in the right spot here but I was wanting to share my project with you as I think it will be a success, otherwise I have wasted my time in the shed for naught.
This project has taken quite sometime to put together, I am a person who builds something, tries it and if it doesn't work go back to the drawing board.
I have made it fairly robust with the intention that one day I might be able to feed it with more than just a shovel (small excavator fed trammel was what I had in mind).
Like I said it's fairly robust and with 2mm thickness aluminium being the main size for both schutes.
I made the top shute 1.2m L x 400mm w x 150mm sides, there is miners moss on the bottom being used in the top section full length (1m) on top of that I have 1/2" expanded mesh, and above that (50mm)as a classifier to sort the larger material out I have used stainless steel perforated mesh with 10mm holes.
At the end there is a 200mm drop section where there is my second shute, dimensions 2m x 300mm x150mm 2mm thick, which feeds from the top and I have, as "riffles", the Gold Hog matting full length in various configurations.
I have designed my own spray bar system which I am going to use with a Chonda (chinese Honda)1"1/2 pump.
I have seen countless numbers of designs on the market and some appear to be really great and can take everything you shovel at it, but there are others that require the user to be very gentle and will only be able to handle very small amounts of material.
I am working with the advise passed onto me by numerous people, that if everything is running right ie: water flow, angles of shutes feed rate, water quality and that "give gold time to settle it will settle" hence the length of my shutes top and bottom.
Cheers
ps, Tried to upload pics but file too big, sorry.

Resize your pics and upload them mate.
Or upload to imgur and drop the link in here.

Sounds like it it will catch gold, not sure how portable it will be?
Also, it might be worth leaving a section in your top chute without miners moss, creating a boiler box effect.

Reeko

Hey Mate sounds like a good sized highbanker I like gold hog mats and am planning to add them into my new high banker one day just made with a 1800x300x200 bottom box for that purpose. What is the water flow on the pump you looking at because that could be the only thing it might not have the flow rate for a box as big as yours there is a formula floating around the forums to work out flow rates will try find it.
ps I think you need 10 posts/replies before you can post pics

Hi Barra Mad,
I have been reading different individual comments regarding sluices and if my memory serves me correct Doc from Gold Hog said he would run about 2200lts an hr or aprox 35>40 ltrs a minute, correct me if I have it wrong! but trial and error will tell, I have two options, one is run the smaller pump 11/4" hard or two run my bigger pump at a reduced rate which he also recommends.

yeah the flow can very but you box should be in the same league as the viper and that is recommended to have no less than 6500gph or 21000lph. but the main thing to get rite is that the water in you box is deep enough with enough velocity to allow proper transfer of material. so you could just do some testing with both pumps and see how you go. the biggest advantage i see with running a big pump at low rpm is noise and fuel consumption. I got a 2 inch pump that runs about 30000lph on my box works well.

Thanks Barra_Mad,
I can only try it and see how it goes, believe me I'll be giving it my best shot,

Latest posts