Counterfeit/fake Minelab detectors and accessories

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
code 8154 with s/n 92570848151
comes up as a genuine mine lab
1513423255_5000.jpg

Reeks said:
Looks fake to me, the zeros in 5000 are the giveaway
1513412209_img_6236.jpg
1513412243_img_4418.jpg
The bottom photo is ripped from elsewhere - zoom in on the font. The ripped photo with the gold is the correct font. The photo above it has incorrect font.
I wouldn't touch this detector just on sight alone - incorrect font is the easiest to spot. There are numerous other alarm bells though. There has recently been another bloke coincidentally from Dubbo too trying to offload a fake GPX.
Also don't rely on the verification website alone - there are genuine serial numbers all over the interweb & copying a genuine serial number + hologram has occurred before. A few years ago I almost purchased a fake that had a correct serial number on it. Luckily I waited to hear back direct from Minelab & they told me that the machine that the serial number belonged to had been sold a couple of years prior to what the seller was saying & in a different state. When I questioned the seller he fessed up that he suspected it was fake :rolleyes:
Check this out:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5333
Might just save you from being bitten by these grubs.

yes mate that is all good and i would never think of getting something like that without speaking direct to mine lab first and supplying as much info photos etc etc
my intention was to put info up here so as to stop all the speculation that it was a fake without even asking the person the most basic of questions
i will if i was intending to buy it ring mine lab but as per their web site they dont open until Monday
the funny thing was he never hesitated in supplying any info i asked for s/n and code and the 3 ducks
as you have seen it comes up as real in the first check but anyone with half a brain would in this day and age do more checks then that
checked that link out some good advice in there

They only need to score a good serial and 200 machines all have the same...

Need to take care. Not only the OOOO 00000 but also the 5 is very different = Two different machines

Warning Warning Warning Will Roberson - Step away from the BUY button.

I'll stop the speculation - it's a fake. There's no doubt the font is incorrect & that the photo of a correct GPX (with the gold) has been "borrowed".
These grubs get more "organised" all the time but they're still dumb as dogshit.

Sorry Mbasko hope I didn't confuse the situation,
I posted a pic from google (with font matching the listed machine) to show the difference to a real gpx (second pic is my old 5000 which I have since sold)

Stay away from this fake lads
And as Mbasko has said it is so easy to get a legit serial number online. Guy's clearly a scumbag.

7.62marksman said:
My intention was to put info up here so as to stop all the speculation that it was a fake without even asking the person the most basic of questions

Sorry but a guy selling a fake won't always tell you if he is aware, a picture tells a thousand words and that was all I needed.
My intention was to help people not buy a fake detector.
Someone could have checked the serial number photo and had it posted.

I've saved photos the will email minelab Monday for final confirmation.

Reeks said:
Sorry Mbasko hope I didn't confuse the situation,
I posted a pic from google (with font matching the listed machine) to show the difference to a real gpx (second pic is my old 5000 which I have since sold)

Stay away from this fake lads
And as Mbasko has said it is so easy to get a legit serial number online. Guy's clearly a scumbag.
:lol: :8 yeah ya got me mate.
Good pictorial on incorrect/correct font - it's always the easiest thing to spot & first thing to check.
Hopefully the buyer checks it out better &/or gives it a test run on pickup this morning.

You can also notice the the obvious fake give aways are no longer shown, such as the battery, the charger and the wrong blue on the rear panel.
The gpx5000 font is now clear though.
It's getting a few bids, but at least the guy is now being semi honest.

I wonder if the seller has read this thread?

Latest posts