Training day with Minelab Gold

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all well its been a couple of days (needed to recover from the walking lol) since we went out with Minelab Gold for a training day there were 7, of us on the day and we all got there early and I am not going to try and remember the names got a shocking memory for names lol, anyway we started at about ten and had a chat about the things MG does before going into the field with being in the right mind set and what he does once he gets to the spot he has decided to explore ,and when i say explore I MEAN explore lol, He showed us what he looks for when checking out a patch and when you read what he has posted and then see what he looks for when your with him in the field it all starts to make sense. Anyway back to the cars and have a bite to eat and then down to a test patch which was very interesting MG had set up some targets at different depths sinkers on fishing line ,and we all went over them, I think we all got all the targets, then he set up some hot rock some with gold some just rock again I think we could all see the targets ,Then he said "try that target by the base of that tree" Mardymouse (think thats his handle sorry if i stuffed it up lol) had a speaker on so he went over the target and we all said if we would dig it or not some said they would others including yours truly said they wouldn't ,so MG had a chuckle and with a smile dug up an 1oz of gold lol made me think how many times I have walked away from gold thinking it was rubbish have learned that lesson, (dig all the targets) I have read that a hundred times but too actually go through a test patch and see what you would have missed brings it right into you brain really quick . Anyway we all went for a swing for an hour and RCGOLD my stepson snagged a .6 gm which gave us all a boost and some one to stack it on lol well with a handle like RCGOLD we always say arsygold lol all in good fun.We then took off to a quarts mine this was bloody unbelievable the work they had done with a pick and shovel and we complain about digging a one foot hole anyway after that we all went our separate ways for a bit more swinging ,no more gold but I think every one on the day all came away with a huge amount of gold from the day its Call KNOWLEDGE ,I for one will be totally changing the way i detect and look at the places we go too INCLUDING those signals that i would have said that rubbish lol. So to finish had a great day with all the guys from the forum and many many thanks to Minelab Gold for the huge effort he put into the day we will have to do it again ,I would recommend a day like this to anyone but if you cant get out with him at least do yourself a favor and study his threads a couple of times . by the way he really likes walking so have some comfy boots lol ,and before anyone says how much did he charge the answer is NOTHING once again many thanks MG for a great day .AND REMEMBER LOW AND SLOW DIG EVERY TARGET .

Sounds like you all had a great day PP and it's fantastic of MG to devote his time and share his knowledge like that.
I'd been keen to attend a day like this but the dates didn't line up for me as I unfortunately was/am on standby with work on the dates but if by chance MG was to offer a 3rd date I'd definitely put my hand up to attend.
Well done and I really hope you all get to benefit from the new found knowledge making each trip out more enjoyable even if the gold remains elusive, to at least be out exploring for the ground conditions you want is a big enough bonus.

Nice report. We all could use some of MGs knowledge out there.
I really struggle to try and read the ground. I usually park up the car, Set up the detector and start swinging, As time is usually limited I try and cover as much ground in the shortest possible time, I have to consciously slow down. Some times I dig a test hole to see how deep the ground is and bury a small target in the hole just to make sure I can pick it up.

Any how if there are any future "classes" Id love to tag along.

Happy prospecting.

Very good report, would love the chance to tag along with MG, but the distance is a bit far for me up in N.Q. for the weekend.
It's just the type of training I need.

Cheers to all.

PP, you typed it better than I ever could. I'll just say that I completely agree.

Great report thanks. I've had to pass up the opportunity but I'm as keen as mustard to learn it institu I think that's how I learn best.

Yeah great report Pirate Pete, the lesson with the buried gold will stick in my head for a long time!
You were correct its mardymoose not mardymouse, pretty funny though.
It was a pleasure to meet you all and a huge thanks to minelab gold for his instruction.
If you do happen to go on one of his instruction days take plenty of water and wear good runners
Hope to see you out in the gold fields, good luck all
Cheers
Mardymoose

Cheers to MG for the time and effort he put in to the training day, very informative. Was a great day with a great bunch of blokes and here's the .6 gram nugget that I snagged
1478682493_resized_20161109_185059.jpg

just wondering if i can get training day on an old minelab3000 or do they insist on newish machines?

The guy that ran the training day runs a 3500 and I don't know if he is doing any more training days you would have to ask him

nicko61 said:
just wondering if i can get training day on an old minelab3000 or do they insist on newish machines?

PM Phase Tech you never know he could be in the neighbourhood and do a 1 on 1 with you. Only suggesting Phase Tech because of the effort he has put in for the forum punters. Other than that make contact with a trainer in your location and see how you go.

Hello all
I know this has been said by others but I also would like to thank Tim (minelab-gold) for giving up his time and all his efforts putting together the training day,it was good to make some new like minded friends and it was a good day had by all and I learnt heaps.
Regards
Graeme

Thanks Graeme,

Was a great day in all - weather held up just perfect for us. The hardest thing to do is drill in information in one area and explain certain grounds based on what we have in front of us on the day. Trying to get the perfect grounds to show points of interest with reef, hills, gullies, mullocks, workings etc and then the big part in getting the most valuable information from over 12 years in the fields and getting the information to stick in a 6 hour group day can be quite challenging. I guess thats why providing you guys with my personal literature and documents on the day can also help to speed up ones learning curve and also help to read the grounds prior to swinging.

All the best and hopefully we can arrange a normal full detecting day or weekend

Thanks RCGold,

Was a great day - weather held up just perfect and the mozzies appeared to leave us all alone that day until late arvo, as for other days in the fields we will have to arrange a day away for full detecting days or weekends.

The hardest thing to do is drill in information in one area and explain certain grounds based on what we have in front of us on the day. Trying to get the perfect grounds to show points of interest with reef, hills, gullies, mullocks, workings etc and then the big part in getting the most valuable information from over 12 years in the fields and getting the information to stick in a 6 hour group day can be quite challenging. I guess thats why providing you guys with my personal literature and documents on the day can also help to speed up ones learning curve and also help to read the grounds prior to swinging.

All the best and thanks for writing a thread regarding the day out.

Hi Pete,

Again thanks for writing this thread and showing your appreciation on the day with the gift, It was a great day weather was nice and the mozzies stayed away.

As for the group day I guess the most challenging was to try to structure the day so you guys could get the most valuable information from my experiences and findings in prospecting over the last 12+ years in only a 6 hour group day. Also finding grounds which have all the benefits to help read certain grounds all in one area was also another challenge, because what you see in your gold fields the grounds can be completely different in another area not far from your main grounds. The basics of gold deposits is usually the same though reef into alluvial deposit - but the key is definitely ground thickness and reading the contours and the flow for alluvial

Also with the personal literature that I provided to you all can inspire and empower those new and also those veteran prospectors, it was designed to help inspire and get perfect mindset every day and also to help ones learning curve be excelled faster than trying to do it all yourself.

All the best - talk soon - regards M.G

Latest posts