Cheap metal detectors

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My suggestion and its just that is go away
For a few days if you can hire a machine
And enjoy the outdoors for a weekend.

Hire a 5000 and make sure its got an 11"
Mono and make sure the guys set it up for
You for small shallow gold.

Then grab some maps and make sure the
Area you prospect was once rich in Shallow
alluvial gold.

8 hours of detecting should help find
Something.

The 5000 is an amazing machine for very
Vert Small gold and i could not believe my
Eyes how tiny some nuggets were.

Remember its about having fun and don't
Forget your miners right.

Purchasing a .5 gram nugget will help you as well
By putting it under the coil and hearing the noise
It makes. Make sure your shoes or boots has no
Metal around laces etc and same with your jacket.

Hope this helps.

Wolfau said:
My suggestion and its just that is go away
For a few days if you can hire a machine
And enjoy the outdoors for a weekend.

Hire a 5000 and make sure its got an 11"
Mono and make sure the guys set it up for
You for small shallow gold.

Then grab some maps and make sure the
Area you prospect was once rich in Shallow
alluvial gold.

8 hours of detecting should help find
Something.

The 5000 is an amazing machine for very
Vert Small gold and i could not believe my
Eyes how tiny some nuggets were.

Remember its about having fun and don't
Forget your miners right.

Purchasing a .5 gram nugget will help you as well
By putting it under the coil and hearing the noise
It makes. Make sure your shoes or boots has no
Metal around laces etc and same with your jacket.

Hope this helps.

Thanks this helps a lot I have 2 friends that have already bought their own detectors and I'm the last to buy I'll hire something then see how I go then decide instead of pouring $$$ into something that will gather dust.

Bought one of these from jaycar today, on special for 50 bucks. My young sons 11th birthday present, he can join me for tot lot hunts :) When I was his age, I had an orange tandy detector, even smaller than this one, and it got a ton of use, many 20c found in sandpits!

That Micronta was my first detector.
Got a bit upset that I saved for months for it only to find it would not sniff out coins only a few inch's down.
Saved again and bought a Whites 2000d
Got really upset so then went Garrets A2B.
A little happier then.

Ned said:
The Stratco Detector was originally made by Micronta and sold by Tandy Electronics in the early 70's. I know cause I have one from that time. Found coins and rings on the beach up near the surf club house in dry sand. I watch where people were placing their towels to get an idea where to search. Only good for about 6" Depth.
Takes 6 AA batteries. Had best result in all metal mode. Two switch knobs - one was on/off and volume, the other was discriminate. Good for kids - better than a toy but not for serious work.
regards, Ned

I still got one of those, Done OK with it some 20 years ago. Word of warning . Unless you got arm like gorilla, after half a hour of detecting you will think that your arm is going to fall off. It is very unbalanced and feels heavy..
Karl

I think Kevin Hillier found the 'Hand of Faith' with one back in the early 80's.

Cant be sure though......probably same technology!

Was gonna buy one then remembered the last 10 times I bought mutton dressed as lamb 8)
But really love to know

Hi guys, anyone had any experience with these Ebay cheap and cheerfulls?
Thanks for any help
Colin
Sorry, forget it just noticed I can't post the link before I hit 10 posts... they are the yellow ones $135 (Deep Sensitive Searching Metal Detector Gold Digger Treasure Hunter LCD Readout)

I think these days u get what you pay for with detectors, theres no big bargains to be had.....cheaper most often means less depth.....with some exceptions but for most part money talks. Caveat Emptor

ColinD said:
Hi guys, anyone had any experience with these Ebay cheap and cheerfulls?
Thanks for any help
Colin
Sorry, forget it just noticed I can't post the link before I hit 10 posts... they are the yellow ones $135 (Deep Sensitive Searching Metal Detector Gold Digger Treasure Hunter LCD Readout)

No personal experience, Colin, but like all such no brand name items, you can expect indifferent performance, flimsy construction, short life and nil resale value. If you're comfortable with that, then go for it. Quite a few people on this forum seem to have had fun with the even cheaper Aldi detectors recently (https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/search.php?search_id=1363801746) and I imagine this one would probably perform as well (or as badly, lol).

They're a little bit cheaper here BTW: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Deep-Sen...96?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item5419170db0

Thanks guys, it was the Aldi ones that got me thinking, but long sold out.
Might just save more pennies for a Garrett 250.
C

Thanks Jaros, the Garrett does seem like a good investment, was just being impatient, thanks again for the help all.
C

Hi Colin, don't rule out other brands other than Garrett, the Ace 250 is a good starting point, but has been on the market for quite a few years now, and I feel is a bit overpriced for what it has to offer compared to some other brands/detectors. There are some others worth looking at from Minelab, Fisher, Tesoro and Teknetics that should serve you well as a starter detector, all good brand names with decent warranties and resale values if you should want to upgrade later.

Minelab will have have their entry level detectors on the market from May onwards, with the Go-Find 20 & 40 (the 60 model may be too expensive for you).

Fisher have the F2 which is comparable to the Ace, but with more features, better recovery time, and cheaper, though less coil choices. Fisher also have a new series of weatherproof entry level detectors coming out. These are the F11, F22, & F44, but pricing is yet to be set for those, nor have they been released to our local market as yet.

If you are not fussed on having a display screen, the Tesoro Silver Umax and Compadre are actually very good quality detectors, and have a lifetime guarantee - both cheaper than the Ace.

Teknetics (part of Fisher), have the Eurotek Pro, or the cheaper again Eurotek, plus Alpha 4000 & 2000. The Eurotek Pro would probably be the equivalent of the Ace, but both cheaper and will operate in iron infested areas better due to faster recovery time over the Ace.

You should be able to achieve good resale value on all these detectors when it comes time to upgrade, the Tesoros have excellent feedback abroad, barely a bad word said about them - just check out any reviews on them.

I'm not bagging the Ace, as I personally own one, I just feel value for money can be achieved elsewhere, considering Garrett is well and truly due for upgrades for its entry level detectors.:)

Latest posts