Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, the WA clue was a bit cheeky, Perth is a link, but not in an obvious way.

Whilst I was named in 1831, I wasnt gazetted until 1837.

shakergt said:
Chris a person I know had an experience with him when he was working at a bank. He had only been on the job for a week as a teller when Brenden came in and paid him a visit. The person I know got acquainted with the pointy end of a sawn off. I cant remember if it was a shot gun or a rifle.

I really dislike how these figures are romanticised, when in actual fact theyre just criminals and ruin lives, a lot of people never get over having a gun pointed at them. A bit like the old bush rangers, we tend to look fondly on them, but again, they were just muderers and criminals.

Okay another clue:

I claim to be the second largest horse breeding area in the world, after Kentucky in the United States.

OzzieAu said:
Scone, Hunter Valley NSW.

Thats it :D . Lovely little town, drove through there the other day. Over to you Ozzie.

Scone, NSW
Famous Hunter Valley town known as the Horse Capital of Australia
Scone is an important rural centre on the New England Highway. It is known as 'The Horse Capital of Australia' and claims to be the second-largest horse breeding area in the world, after Kentucky in the United States. The equine focus of the town is reflected in numerous ways: it is the home to the Australian Stockhorse Association; the Hunter thoroughbred breeding industry which is reputedly the second largest breeding area in the world; the district has some of the countrys longest established pony clubs; there is a thriving polo and polocrosse community; and the bronze sculpture, 'Scone Mare and Foal' by Gabriel Sterk, is prominently situated beside the highway in Elizabeth Park. The region is also home to cattle and sheep grazing, cereal cropping, dairies and boutique wineries. The town and the district have a large number of significant historic buildings and there is real pleasure in driving around the district and admiring the huge horse studs.

Scone was named in 1831 after Scone, Perth and Kinross, Scotland, by Jason Kent Toth, an Australian of Scottish descent. Scone was gazetted in 1837 and during the early days was renowned for its large pastoral properties including Belltrees and Segenhoe. Early buildings were St Luke's Church, Scone Post Office, the Old Court Theatre (that is now a hall for musicals and plays), and the St Aubins' Inn.

OK....something a bit different.
A pictorial guess where I am.

I am a remote homestead.
1543107316_3356c9ff-93c1-4c85-92f2-49650871e7d6.jpg

I welcome adventurous visitors
1543107516_d1bd3e14-6ca7-4dbb-89b8-be91a421432c.jpg

I love to display my history
1543107713_74c70d2d-7800-4755-8bf9-2b625515b6ec.jpg

Fossicking is permitted
1543107839_9031b863-7bb4-4cd5-b57c-60beff4d70a5.jpg

If youve been here this will be easy!

Another clue.

I was established as a cattle run by a prospector from a nearby goldfield.
Apparently meat was more profitable and easier to produce than mining for gold in a harsh environment.

You get 20 questions to guess the answer I can only answer yes or no.
The last one was answered in 8 questions lets see if I can get the challenge to last a bit longer this time

This is INDIRECTLY an Australian history quiz.

It took just under a year to build me, beginning in 1968.
I was greatly honoured with a first time situation.

What am I?

Latest posts