Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Anne Beadell Highway, named after Lens wife, Anne. The Anne Beadell Highway is an outback unsealed track linking Coober Pedy, South Australia, and Laverton, Western Australia, a total distance of 1,325 km (823 mi). The track was surveyed and built by Len Beadell, Australian surveyor. The track passes through remote arid deserts and scrub territory of South Australia and Western Australia, The road is highway in name only and because it is so isolated, travellers are required to be self sufficient. This track is currently the longest stretch between fuel pumps in Australia, with the nearest pump in Warburton. It is also worth noting that a permit is needed for those who are travelling through Warburton.

The road was constructed to provide access for a series of surveys adding to the overall geodetic survey of unexplored parts of Australia. The information was required for rocket range projects at Woomera. Construction was completed in five stages, spanning nine years from 1953 to 1962. The first stage from Mabel Creek station near Coober Pedy, west towards Emu Field, was built in February and March 1953 to provide access for British atomic tests at Emu Field. This stage preceded the formation of Beadell's Gunbarrel Road Construction Party, and was the first road built by Beadell.

The second stage was begun in July 1957 in the reverse direction, from Anne's Corner towards Emu Field, after Beadell had completed the Mount Davies Road in the north-west of South Australia. The third stage was commenced in August 1961, running westward from Anne's Corner to Vokes Hill. In April 1962 the fourth stage proceeded west from Vokes Hill, beyond Serpentine Lakes towards the future Neale Junction where the construction party arrived on 16 August. From Neale Junction during August and September 1962 the north-south Connie Sue Highway was constructed between Warburton and Rawlinna. The fifth stage of the Anne Beadell Highway was then commenced, and was completed at Yamarna near Lake Yeo when it joined an existing track to Laverton on 17 November 1962.

Beadell put considerable effort into rediscovering Vokes Hill while surveying the track, as a new device called a Tellurometer was being introduced. It used radio waves for distance measurement, thus requiring high points for operation.

Ok shaker, you have it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connie_Sue_Highway

Just north of Neale Junction, Beadell's infant daughter Connie Sue was observed standing up for the first time in her tea-chest bassinet. It was decided there and then that the Warburton-Rawlinna road would be known as the Connie Sue Highway.

Over to you.

Cheers

Doug

Thank you rock hunter. The Beadell roads take in great country. I now remember that Connie was with Len and Anne when he surveyed the Connie Sue. Some great reading the Len beadell books are if you like that kind of thing. Len truely was the last of the Australian explorers.

Now I have to come up with something that has not been done before, so please give me sometime and I will have something up soon.

Well done shakergt. I thought I'd found it with this fact... "This track is currently the longest stretch between fuel pumps in Australia". :/

What was this about? The Black Knight was part of the "Why was I made". I don't get that clue.

Finally come up with something. I tried to stay away from a who am I but unfortunately it is a who am I again.

So who am I
Real name and other known name
What am I known for

First clue

I was born in 1962 and was a former ward of the state Western Australia.

MegsyB007 said:
Well done shakergt. I thought I'd found it with this fact... "This track is currently the longest stretch between fuel pumps in Australia". :/

What was this about? The Black Knight was part of the "Why was I made". I don't get that clue.

Pretty sure the Black Knight is a criptic clue with the answer referring to Len working through the Night to plot the course of the road. Could be wrong though.

RM Outback said:
MegsyB007 said:

Pretty sure the Black Knight is a criptic clue with the answer referring to Len working through the Night to plot the course of the road. Could be wrong though.

The Black Knight was a research rocket that was launched from the Woomera Range Complex. An example of the rockets that were launched fom there.

Over a period of eight years, Beadell and the GRCP built more than 6,000 kilometres of dirt roads in remote areas of central Australia for the Weapons Research Establishment atWoomera, South Australia.

Hope that clears it up.

Cheers

Doug

The ward of the state bit was the clue that gave it away for me, I remember reading about him and his early life.

Hope this isnt too easy:

Where am I.
I am a town in Australia named in 1831. My name has links to Western Australia (I am not in this state) and Scotland.

Chris a person I know had an experience with him when he was working at a bank. He had only been on the job for a week as a teller when Brenden came in and paid him a visit. The person I know got acquainted with the pointy end of a sawn off. I cant remember if it was a shot gun or a rifle.

In regards to your question I have now ruled out Perth Tasmania as that was founded in 1821. Unless that the date was ment to be 1821 and you did a typo. Then it could be Perth tasmania

Latest posts