Hello Everyone!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

Just wanted to finally do my intro post, my name is Sarah!

I'm super green to fossicking but have given it a couple of goes over the last few years and I've just started to put my foot on the gas in terms of learning as much as I can. I headed to Black Springs Saturday past and ended up with a sapphire and a couple of rubies actually. It was nice getting my eye in. My partner and I are headed to Lightning Ridge next month and I am excited to go hunt down some potch (hopefuly with colour lol).

I have a degree in Sustainable Agriculture, and I spent majority of my time at uni, knees deep in soil pits. I was a part of my Uni's Soil Science Team and competed at the Australian soil judging comp a couple of times. I got to travel to the Philippines where I soil mapped a small island with a team of other students too.

It was only a matter of time until I wound up here.

I've been buzzing through the forums a bit and I cant wait to learn from all of you.

Feel free to introduce yourself back. I'd like to get to know you. :)

Sarah

Hi Sarah,

Great to meet you.
Judging by what you’ve told us above, you’re going to be the one teaching us where, how and what to do. Your stats are pretty impressive.
Please let us know how you go in Lightning Ridge. Hopefully it’s awesome!

Cheers - Mr Tee

Hi All,

I'm super green to fossicking but have given it a couple of goes over the last few years and I've just started to put my foot on the gas in terms of learning as much as I can. I headed to Black Springs Saturday past and ended up with a sapphire and a couple of rubies actually. It was nice getting my eye in. My partner and I are headed to Lightning Ridge next month and I am excited to go hunt down some potch (hopefuly with colour lol).

I have a degree in Sustainable Agriculture, and I spent majority of my time at uni, knees deep in soil pits. I was a part of my Uni's Soil Science Team and competed at the Australian soil judging comp a couple of times. I got to travel to the Philippines where I soil mapped a small island with a team of other students too.

I've been buzzing through the forums a bit and I cant wait to learn from all of you.

Sarah
Hi Sarah, how did you go in Lightning Ridge? I'm headed there in a few days. Not sure if I'll go chasing colour yet though :)

Hi Sarah, how did you go in Lightning Ridge? I'm headed there in a few days. Not sure if I'll go chasing colour yet though :)
Hi Scotty!

Had a great time. I picked up a fair few bits and pieces - I got maybe two or three decent pieces that have bands running the whole way through from what i can see. I've got a nice little jar filled with flakes and little chips. I found most of them in a discard pile that a guy we met owned. He saw us having a look at the old open cut at the top of Lunatic Hill and showed us his mining lease which wasn't far from it. He was looking for crystal at the time on the surface so he directed us to his piles and showed us a bit more as to what to look for. My partner didn't even known what opal was until i dragged him out there.

We met some really cool people and everyone was pretty forth coming with info. I'd definitely recommend speaking to some miners about fossicking if you want to try. Even i noticed how many people go in searching late afternoon in Garwin which is pretty disgraceful. They've has some big issues with the dumps and tourists so they have had to shut them which is disappointing for the people who actually know it's at your own risk and you shouldn't be digging giant caves in the side of the spoil.

Anyway, deffs the coolest and most eccentric place I've been in a while. I loved it!

Hi All,

Sarah
G'day mate hope you enjoy the site and find gold soon

Latest posts