Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its alright Gilly, we'll see if he knows this one.

What am I and called,
When was I made (start, finish),
Why was I made,
Where am I, and
Who made me?

First clue,

My namesake was first seen standing along here.

Cheers

Doug

MegsyB007 said:
Mate, I've been wracking my poor tired brain on this one, and I've got nothing! Help!

I don't like seeing a grown adult grovel so here is another clue.

"It's a long distance between fill ups."

You may think that the clues are a bit cryptic but you will understand when you finally get it right.

Cheers

Doug

Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing mate, but it's been a hard long day at work, and my cryptic brain has shut down for the night, I think. I'm usually pretty good with cryptics and I'm just not catching this one yet. Not giving up though - I do like a challenge! :D

MegsyB007 said:
Black Jack Anderson - infamously Australia's first pirate.

"Anderson was a violent African American who came to Australia in 1826. He and his crew of pirates were based on Middle Island in the Recherche Archipelago just off the coast of Esperance, where they attacked and looted passing boats and ships. They also murdered local Aboriginal men and enslaved their women."

Sounds like a charming guy.... Not!

I let this one go as I did black Anderson sometime ago. He was also Australias only ever known pirate

maybe the gun barrel highway. Work started in 1955 and was completed in 1958. Constructed to provide access to the future meteorological station. Second reason was instrumentation for woomera and also to allow surveyors access to little know areas of out back australia. The main reason wasThe road was built as part of Australia's role in the weapons research establishment calledWoomerawhich includedEmu FieldandMaralinga, bothatomic bombtesting sites. The highway rubs from Wiluna to victory downs station NT and was made by Len Beadell

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunbarrel_Highway

shakergt said:
maybe the gun barrel highway. Work started in 1955 and was completed in 1958. Constructed to provide access to the future meteorological station. Second reason was instrumentation for woomera and also to allow surveyors access to little know areas of out back australia. The highway runs from Wiluna to victory downs station NT and was made by Len Beadell construction company named the gun barrel road construction party.

shakergt said:
shakergt said:
maybe the gun barrel highway. Work started in 1955 and was completed in 1958. Constructed to provide access to the future meteorological station. Second reason was instrumentation for woomera and also to allow surveyors access to little know areas of out back australia. The highway runs from Wiluna to victory downs station NT and was made by Len Beadell construction company named the gun barrel road construction party.

No shaker,

First clue,

My namesake was first seen standing along here.

Cheers

Doug

That's what has got me the name sake. Is it even a highway? If not may be emu rocket site

.1955 to 1963 used to test bombs by the British and was also built by the British.

1/ Gunbarrel Hwy
2/ 1955 to 1958
3/ Three reasons 1st Meteorological Stations to forecast upper winds prior to testing atomic weapons in Sth Australia 2nd was for instrumentation along the centre line of fire for rockets launched from Woomera 3rd was to allow surveyors from the National Mapping Council to continue the geodetic survey of little know areas of outback Australia.
4/ Central Australia Gibson Desert
5/ Gunbarrel Road Construction Party (GRCP)

Or one of his other's if it isn't the Gunbarrel I'll give details of another.

Latest posts