Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good on ya Nuggetbuster for having a crack,

Unfortunately its 3 x no mate.

Have a think about why 3 states would or what would they argue about?

GT :)

Sorry no Green Cheeks 77 you are about 50 odd years too early mate from my beginnings . If you were born in 77, I concluded just a few years prior.

Would it be?

The diversion of the Snowy River and the eventual Snowy River Scheme

Following World War II, the Government of New South Wales proposed that the flow of the Snowy River be diverted into the Murrumbidgee River for irrigation and agricultural purposes; however there was little emphasis placed on the generation of power. A counter proposal by the Government of Victoria involved a greater generation of power, and involved diversion of the Snowy River to the Murray River.[2] Additionally, the Government of South Australia was concerned that downstream flows on the Murray River would be severely jeopardised

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowy_Mountains_Scheme

Bob

Yay Well done Bob and close enough mate. Well pieced together

Yes it was the Snowy River Hydroelectric Authority I was after exactly. My wifes family worked for them when they emigrated way back when, from Latvia.

Your go mate

is it the 'Uknown Soldier.. brought from his grave in France and interred in Canberra in 1993, in order to represent all those soldiers whose name was not known.

The Youngest Soldier to be killed in the First World War,
James Charles (Jim) Martin (3 January 1901 25 October 1915) was the youngest Australian known to have died in World War I. He was only 14 years and nine months old when he succumbed to typhoid during the Gallipoli campaign.[1] He was one of 20 Australian soldiers under the age of 18 known to have died in World War I.[1]

Was it John Monash. ??
From Wikipedia,
For his services during the war, and in addition to his creation as a Knight Commander of the Order of the Bath, Monash was appointed as a Knight Grand Cross of the Order of St Michael and St George on 1 January 1919.[39] He also received numerous foreign honours the French appointed him a Grand Officer of the Lgion d'honneur[40] and awarded him the Croix de Guerre,[1][41] the Belgians appointed him a Grand Officer of the Order of the Crown (Grand-Officier Ordre de la Couronne) and awarded him the Croix de Guerre[42] and the United States awarded him the Distinguished Service Medal.[43]

Latest posts