Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure if Bobh is going to post a question or not and i'll be up in the mountains all this week fellas. So i don't mind, and i doubt Bobh would if somebody else throws up a new question.

Australian born, cycled across Australia 7 times, around Australia twice, by late 1920's had completed over 70 crossings of Australia by vehicle and by cycle; drove from London to Melbourne in a Sundowner car.
Should have gotten a knighthood and more into our Australian history books but forgot to pay his debts and didn't treat influential sponsors well.
Made money gold mining in Australia when stopped being an adventurer.
Best described by me as a loveable rogue; biography is an amazing read. Talks about winching vehicle up and down numerous steep hills transversing Burma on his way to Australia.

Here you go. :) :)
Australian adventurer, author and filmmaker Francis Edwin Birtles (1881-1941) made this remark two days before departing on what would become his most famous adventure driving from London, England to Melbourne, Australia in his 1925 Bean racing car known as the Sundowner.

A veteran overlander, Birtles had cycled around Australia twice and crossed the continent seven times between 1907 and 1912, completed the first west east crossing of Australia in a car in 1912, and set records driving from Melbourne to Darwin, and Darwin to Sydney in 1926. However it was his nine month 26,000km part-solo journey from London to Melbourne which is regarded by many as his greatest achievement, and one of the most remarkable journeys ever completed in a motor car.

No I have not read his book but it is on the bucket list. :)
I was a famous international Author that used to make
a trip to Australia for my favorite sport fishing.
I am very well honored not far from me here in Tathra as this is where I used to come to.

Place is Called Bermagui. :D
Here in Australia. ;)
He spent a lot of time over here fishing and writing.
Bobh, You are correct.
Extracts from Wikipedia,
Grey also helped establish deep-sea sport fishing in New South Wales, Australia, particularly in Bermagui, New South Wales, which is famous for Marlin fishing. Patron of the Bermagui Sport Fishing Association for 1936 and 1937, Grey set a number of world records, and wrote of his experiences in his book "An American Angler in Australia".
Honors and awards

The National Park Service maintains his former home in Lackawaxen, Pennsylvania as the Zane Grey Museum, a part of the Upper Delaware Scenic and Recreational River area.
His home in Altadena is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Zanesville, Ohio has a museum named in his honor, the National Road-Zane Grey Museum.
Zane Grey Terrace, a small residential street in the hillsides of Altadena, is named in his honor.
The Zane Grey Tourist Park Bermagui, Australia.
"Zane Greys'" a headland at the western end of Matapaua Bay, New Zealand.
The Zane Grey Continuation School is located adjacent to Reseda High School in Reseda, Los Angeles, California.[citation needed]
Zane Grey room is located at the Sigma Nu Beta Rho house in honor of where Zane Grey lived for part of his time at the University of Pennsylvania.
Wilder Ranch State Park near Santa Cruz, California named the Zane Grey Trail after the author. Zane Grey briefly worked as a ranch hand at Wilder Ranch.

Never lost a competitive match anywhere in the world from 1962 to 1981 when finally retired. When retired had gone 20 years without defeat.
"World"champion 16 consecutive years.
Australian amateur champion 14 consecutive times
Born NSW.

Heather Pamela McKay (ne Blundell) AM MBE (born 31 July 1941) is a retired Australian squash player, who is considered by many to be the greatest female player in the history of the game, and possibly also Australia's greatest-ever sportswoman. She dominated the women's squash game in the 1960s and 1970s, winning 16 consecutive British Open titles between and inclusive of the years 1962 and 1977, and capturing the inaugural women's World Open title in 1979, whilst remaining undefeated during that period. She was also a top-level player of other sports, including field hockey and racquetball.

THX,
I was responsible for the deaths of around 500 people before I was lost in part of the system that I supported.
Who and what was I. ?

Edit,
I added the word of

Latest posts