Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, Reefer, Adolphus George Taylor.

"The second of these figures was Adolphus George Taylor, known as "Mudgee" after the town of his birth. He, too, began as an MP, gaining a reputation as combative and brilliant. He publicly belittled fellow MPs, especially the leadership and was usually at the center of the rowdy parliamentary sessions of the day. After one particular incident, Taylor was suspended by the Speaker of Parliament, whereupon he challenged the Speaker's authority to do so, winning his case in parliamentary court and in the subsequent appeal and serving as his own defense. Upon winning these decisions, he resigned and turned to journalism, founding his own paper, Truth, with financing from prominent citizens. Constantly in court defending himself from libel suits, Taylor was for a time the sole writer, editor, and publisher. After several weeks of intense controversy, Taylor was forced to hole himself in the printing building and defend his paper at gunpoint, hauling up his food and brandy in buckets from his supporters."

A number of the politicians of the day were also journalists, and had a great love of the grog, fighting and feuding. I have asked a question about one of them (John Norton) a long time ago on this thread, as well as about another bloke whose name I forget now who among other things was famous for drinking a pint of rum every morning for breakfast. Edit, - It was "Sir John Robertson, five times premier of New South Wales, was said to have drank a pint of rum every morning for 35 years. Later said: 'none of the men who have left footprints in this country have been cold water men."

More on Taylor from the usual source:

http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/taylor-adolphus-george-4690

Of course, there is an Adolphus st in Balmain.

Over to you mate.

thanks chris.. have the grandkids here for the moment and its like.. pandemonium!.. :cool: be back with a question after dinner..while i'm at it ...looking forward to catching up with you at Oallen in march... if your still going.,,,cheers Rossco

well guys... it seems there maybe a case for Balmain bob to claim this one ,,my research cites Taylor as the papers 1st editor ,not the "founder"..however not wishing to cause too much of a controversy i'll press on...this may well be right up your alley Chris :cool:
Who was i and what may well have been my crime..'s'?
I was known to have used two alias' one of which I was known by at the time of a henious crime in country Qld.

ok Bob.. if your happy so am i... thanks for the compliment on my question... got you thinking eh?...hehe ;) :cool:

Thanks for the clarification, Bob, I was not sure about the Adolphus St connection, but was out and about and it is inconvenient to research and post such things on the phone,

That is a good question, Reefer, but I have to give it a go tonight. It rings a bell, I wonder if we have had it before.

hi chris... at least I have not mentioned it.. someone may well have at some time or another... other than that i have the right to remain silent and i refuse to make any statement for fear i might incriminate myself...hehe :p :cool: oh.. except for :will we see you at Oallen in March :cool:

bingo Chris... i doff's me lid :lol: but you have still not answered the second question :cool: otherwise its over to you once more :p

The crime was the murder of the Murphy family. Michael Murphy aged 29 and his younger sisters Norah (Honora) 27 and Ellen (Theresa) 18, were killed between 10pm and 4am on 2627 December 1898 while returning home from a proposed dance that had been cancelled. Michael had been shot and bludgeoned, Norah strangled and bludgeoned, and Ellen was bludgeoned twice.

Thanks Reefer

Let's stick to the theme again.

Probably an easy question, but here it is:

I was convicted of a serious crime in Australia, and was a suspect for a series of similar serious crimes overseas.

As usual, hints will be forthcoming if no one gets it. Should be easy, though.

Latest posts