Advice on GPS units

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a cheap GPS that I am yet to use. Will probably use it this trip. I got well and truly bush-wacked last year. Kept the car on my RHS all the time I was detecting [knowing that that was where the road was] Only trouble was that there were 2 roads not far apart and you guessed it, I found the second road. By then, while I wasn't too far away from where I started I was disoriented and the 2 way I usually take with me was out of range. In the end I just kept walking and finally came back into range and my wife, who comes with me, called me back into the car. The GPS will be a great investment.

i use my garmen gps 12 yes its old, but i also go onto google earth to get grid position of old gold mines and placer gold deposits and record there position and save it into my gps it works i just great to get to exact spot

I have 2 cheap phones Iphone 4 and a sony xperia, I have the xperia one off(only for emergency) and using iphone4 apps like the DIY map, but best of all is maybe compass, planning and memory.

Magellan Explorist 710.... World maps and Australian topo maps included, turn by turn, waypoint marking, geocaching, waterproof, roll it down a hill proof, no data required, works in remote bushland... Love it :D

The main adventage of Android or iOS units is that you can use calibrate paper maps... I'm using historical maps on layers with satelite maps and modern topo maps with some opacity option.

I'm yet to buy a handheld GPS so good discussion topic. I can not emphasise enough when you go bush how easy it is to lose directions. A GPS gives you the ability to find the car and back track out of where you came from. I've been in that situation head down detecting then looked up to see the same canopy 360 degrees and having to scratch my head for directions. I ended up about 1/2 a km from the car and recognised where I was finally. Having said that, it was a wake up call that I need to be prepared. Same in the boat, navigating in fog so heavy u cant see 2 feet in front. Was able to follow the GPS and get home safely. I Need to buy a handheld!

IanSDC said:
I bought myself the Garmin Rino which is a touch screen gps and a very good 80 channel uhf radio. Its not cheap but I used it recently to find my way back to the car and was very happy I had it to use!
Its on special at the moment, (still a lot of money) with a full set of Australian Topo maps. http://www.ja-gps.com.au/garmin/rino-650-gps-uhf-radio/

Ian

Best buy ever, Garmin Rino 650, Johnny Appleseed had a deal going, two for price of one a couple of years back.

Hi everyone,

Just looking at getting a handheld GPS unit. I am looking at either the Garmin GPSMAP 62s or the Garmin GSPMAP 64s. Just wondering if anyone has either of these units and if they are satisfied with it and how expensive the maps are to put onto them???

We have the garmim 62s with topo maps, we love it it also shows the prospecting icons when you zoom in
At western creek June just gone we only had to follow the Icons it also shows old mines.

We didn't know this when we bought it, we only got it so not to get lost, its so simple to use.

We were some where the other day just local playing with it and zoomed in a a prospecting icon came up it was an old mine.

Well worth the money.
Margaret :)

Thanks condor22 and Westaus, I had already done a search on the forum in relation to my question prior to asking it. I didn't find too much info on what I wanted to know. My question was specifically directed at the Garmin GPSMAP 64s or 62s.

Thanks KIM-MARGARET and Colmaca, much appreciated. It's good to know that it is very user friendly.

If the Garmin handhelds come with any mapping such as the Etrex Legend B&W I bought many years ago, it was a "base map", little detail. The E20 I got as part of my GPX5000 last year came with bugger all, so I bought the Garmin Topo map on a micro SD card, it is reasonably detailed, and works well.

The way I looked at it, I got a free GPS and paid for the maps.

Some people will advocate one brand over another, I guess I'm no different, so

If you are looking for a GPS get a Garmin or a Garmin or a Garmin :)

I spent 30yrs with the military, it was the only GPS I ever saw or used.

The model depends on what you spend, what you need it for and if you are willing to buy extra maps.

Our Garmin 62s came with SD card maps loaded the detail as I said is very good showing mines and fossicking areas.

Easy to use We actually use it in the car as GPS for back roads and is spot on misses nothing, shows tracks into bush that you cant even see with your eye.

It was purchased as a hand held tracker so we didn't get lost it does lot more then that

Cost was about $400.00 with maps,

Best of luck in what ever you go with

Cheers Margaret :)

I haven't used a Garmin, but they look like a good thing. I have the Magellan Explorist 710, 3 layers of maps including Topo, turn by tun, touchscreen etc, all the usual tricks, love it :)

Thanks everyone,

I went for the 62s. It only has the base map which is verrrry basic. I will have to update it with a decent topo map, but all in all it seems to be a decent unit. Just need to get out into the wilderness with it...

Latest posts