Coolgardie Czl contact zones

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Heading to Coolgardie region in a couple of weeks. I’m looking at the 100k geological maps and from what I have learnt from these forums and understand is that the Czl areas are the place to go. Faults, shear zones are also good.

Wondering about contact zones. Which types of contact zones are the best for this area? Am I looking for Czl in contact with Archaen metamophosed intrusive? Or extrusive? Either? What’s the best type of contact zones generally for the Coolgardie area?

Just trying to give myself the best chances out there with limited time. Any tips would be appreciated. For what it’s worth, I’m looking at the Kalgoorlie 100k geological map and I’m basically just looking for Czl zones on pending ground. But I’ve heard not all Czl is created equal. What’s the secret ingredient?

If you do a PA site search for 'czl', you'll likely turn up some clues. For instance here:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/threads/local-indicators.28512/post-451667
Thanks this is helpful.

Although I’m still a bit confused…

I just read on another website
“Factual geological maps in WA show what rocks and sediments are outcropping at the surface. Like the 1:250000 Map shown above

The sediments at the surface hide the bedrock structures and rocks below.

To understand the structure underneath the surface you need geological maps such as the 1:500000 Interpreted Bedrock Geology Maps.

Then you can understand the geological structures and rock types underneath and this is crucial to know when you are prospecting for gold at the surface.”

So am I looking for Czl on the interpreted bedrock maps or the factual surface maps?

Apologies if these are stupid questions.

Most of the gold we find with a metal detector is alluvial gold, gold that has travelled from its original source, so who cares what's underneath? By the time the gold has come to rest it might have travelled a considerable distance in a glacier or flooded stream therefore it can be deposited on any type of bedrock.

Most of the gold we find with a metal detector is alluvial gold, gold that has travelled from its original source, so who cares what's underneath? By the time the gold has come to rest it might have travelled a considerable distance in a glacier or flooded stream therefore it can be deposited on any type of bedrock.

I understand. Trying to understand why the website above says…

“Then you can understand the geological structures and rock types underneath and this is crucial to know when you are prospecting for gold at the surface.”

I understand. Trying to understand why the website above says…

“Then you can understand the geological structures and rock types underneath and this is crucial to know when you are prospecting for gold at the surface.”

Yes Geepeezee7, A good prospector would certainly try to understand the local geology. I'm not a good prospector, I just go to where the gold is and don't try to analyse too much 😅

Heading to Coolgardie region in a couple of weeks. I’m looking at the 100k geological maps and from what I have learnt from these forums and understand is that the Czl areas are the place to go. Faults, shear zones are also good.

Wondering about contact zones. Which types of contact zones are the best for this area? Am I looking for Czl in contact with Archaen metamophosed intrusive? Or extrusive? Either? What’s the best type of contact zones generally for the Coolgardie area?

Just trying to give myself the best chances out there with limited time. Any tips would be appreciated. For what it’s worth, I’m looking at the Kalgoorlie 100k geological map and I’m basically just looking for Czl zones on pending ground. But I’ve heard not all Czl is created equal. What’s the secret ingredient?
Your onto it,that's the Kal-coolgardie bread and butter ground,don't over look the felsic volcanics and sediments either, AS or AF,found some good gold in that stuff in one area,good luck.....

Your onto it,that's the Kal-coolgardie bread and butter ground,don't over look the felsic volcanics and sediments either, AS or AF,found some good gold in that stuff in one area,good luck.....

Thanks. It’s great to hear I’m at least somewhat on the right track.

Just in regards to the AS or AF, could you just clarify which type you mean in the context of this legend for Kalgoorlie 100k geological map… I see Af, were you referring to the Asf when you say As?

Also, are you saying just to look at contact zones of Af/Asf/Czl or are you saying you have found Af/Asf zones just worth being on in general?

Attachments

• 2B379C0D-4C81-4171-B03D-8A237F180A98.jpeg
    2B379C0D-4C81-4171-B03D-8A237F180A98.jpeg
    6.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Hi Geepz7 as a general rule AB and CZL are ya main ingredients to look for in this areas,especially when the contacts, faults or shears run through them,we've found good gold on AS also (the sediments).
High priorities are AB,CZL,AU lookin on the maps as a general rule,greenstone(AB) amongst laterites(czl) is a good thing,walking the ground you'll see different outcrops here and there,even if it's not marked on the geo maps,im no geo but that's what we look for mainly,im sure deposits are on other formations along there,very rich country from coolgardie through to kannanuling and kintore etc,a lot of golds come off them belts,good luck....

Hi Geepz7 as a general rule AB and CZL are ya main ingredients to look for in this areas,especially when the contacts, faults or shears run through them,we've found good gold on AS also (the sediments).
High priorities are AB,CZL,AU lookin on the maps as a general rule,greenstone(AB) amongst laterites(czl) is a good thing,walking the ground you'll see different outcrops here and there,even if it's not marked on the geo maps,im no geo but that's what we look for mainly,im sure deposits are on other formations along there,very rich country from coolgardie through to kannanuling and kintore etc,a lot of golds come off them belts,good luck....

As an avid prospector about to fly and then drive 10 hours return to head out to these parts, and after spending 5 days in the GT finding nothing but leadshot and junk, your generosity in sharing your local knowledge is very, very much appreciated.

I’ll takeaway what you’ve said here and go off and apply it to my location shortlists. I’ll let you know how we go! Heading out for a week from Monday.

Thanks for the good luck, we’re gonna need all the luck we can get I reckon! 🍀 🤙🏻

As an avid prospector about to fly and then drive 10 hours return to head out to these parts, and after spending 5 days in the GT finding nothing but leadshot and junk, your generosity in sharing your local knowledge is very, very much appreciated.

I’ll takeaway what you’ve said here and go off and apply it to my location shortlists. I’ll let you know how we go! Heading out for a week from Monday.

Thanks for the good luck, we’re gonna need all the luck we can get I reckon! 🍀 🤙🏻
Have you looked at Geoview?

Latest posts