Advice on GPS units

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wondering if anyone is using handheld gps in the gold fields?? Are they a good investment and which ones do you recommend??

How many of us have recovered gold in the gps location??

Thanks in advance

Marshy

I have used a handheld GPS for many different things for about 10yrs now. I have my old B&W Garmin Etrex Legend, but my recent GPX5000 detector purchase came with a Garmin E20 colour.

The primary reason for GPS use in the goldfields is not to record finds, but SAFETY. In the bush and wandering around, head down and then digging for a couple of hours, it's very easy to lose your sense of direction. The scrub is thick enough to lose view of your car in less than 50 metres.

The first thing I do is mark a waypoint when I stop and rename it car. I then turn it off to conserve battery. If I lose my direction to the car, I switch it on do a GOTO the waypoint and follow the GPS trail.

The second thing I do with a GPS is not actually handheld, it's on a windscreen tablet with GPS, Oziexplorer and VICMAP. I use this to navigate tracks, it also logs where I go and I can mark waypoints at spots I want to come back to.

BTW, I'm also W suburbs. Happy to meet up if you want further advice.

Yes I use one to mark where the car is, just in case I get disoriented. I haven't needed it yet but better safe than sorry. I have had my handheld GPS for a few years now as I originally used it for hunting and fishing trips up north. (Garmin 62s, waterproof )

hi marshyboy, i use a basic garmin etrex which is a great basic gps, used it for my fishin spots for years and its still going strong. just be aware that the gps coordinates on google and the mines dept are based on a different format than those used for maritime use, ( as i sadly discovered when i was in the bush- miles out) i wouldnt go bush without one though, just as a safety tool to get you back put if you lose your way, sometimes every tree and gully look the same in dense bush, good luck buddy, naildigger

Just using the iPhone ... MotionX-GPX record starting location, interesting spots along the way, gives a heap of info on the days wanderings.
1408608301_img_1085.png

Cheers T.

Lots to consider again. I suppose getting yourself back is the main thing, the one with the radio is awesome tho, out of my price range at the moment. Still something to work towards. Gonna have a crack with a compass until then :)

Cheers all, so many interesting and knowledgable people on here, I'm going to run out of questions before you lot run out of answers!!

Magellan Explorist 510 for $239 on ebay new............GeoScience Australia 1:250k Raster Map loaded.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Magellan...AU_Electronics_GPS&hash=item3a95d92a13&_uhb=1

Safety is important as other members have said.

Way-pointing finds is always a good idea espec if you plan on returning later for some gridding or loaming around the find.

Apart from my Magellan 510, I carry a PLB just in case.

Good Luck :)

As far as I'm concerned there's Garmin and there's the rest. I'm not saying the others don't work, they do, but....

I've had a GPS for many years, I currently have 2 car Garmins, even though my 4be has one in it, I use the Garmin, my wife the other. I also have 2 handheld Garmins. I used GPSs in the military, they were all Garmin.

(No affiliation with Garmin)

The bestg idea is smarphone software. I'm preffering Twonav and I'm using old maps... with overlay with sat photos and military topo maps ;)

Shelton said:
The bestg idea is smarphone software. I'm preffering Twonav and I'm using old maps... with overlay with sat photos and military topo maps ;)

Works well if you get phone reception, however where a few of us go. There is NO phone reception at all. A GPS is a must for us. I would not want to rely on a phone alone though FWIW.

Westaus said:
Shelton said:

Works well if you get phone reception, however where a few of us go. There is NO phone reception at all. A GPS is a must for us. I would not want to rely on a phone alone though FWIW.

With an iPhone the GPS still functions perfectly when there is no phone reception. In fact as well as my current 5S I'm still using my old iPhone 4 (without sim card) loaded with High Country Topomaps for off road navigation. Apps i use are AVENZA PDFMAP for the geo ref topos, and aussie developed MAPS n TRAX (formerly BIMAP) for my GEOVIC map downloads, as well as for geological and old survery map overlays.

cheers Casper

Just upload your maps to SD card. No problem at all. You can go in flight mode to avoide phone calls too. I have Samsung Xcover 2 and arm band to keep it. You can carry spare power bank battery wit you. I have solar version ;)

Interesting I stand corrected it seems I also have a twonav GPS and software so could be handy to sync to the handheld gps version. I have an old iphone that I can wipe and just keep data on in a hard case. May have to start a new thread with how to's etc...

Thanks keen to explore this option more as well.

I have a Samsung Galaxy 3, with Oziexplorer Android and Vicmap Topo. But I rarely use it as no phone signal, even though the GPS works fine, so I leave it in the car.

Instead I carry the Garmin E20 with Garmin Topo, it's a lot smaller than the phone and fits in a small pouch pocket in my trousers.

Don't know what they are called but the work pants you can put foam pads at the knees.

Picture this ... you are in a very scrubby environment ... and an overcast day ..
no roads or tracks or fences nearby ... ..looks the same in all directions
you would be bushwacked
it is for this reason I always carry a GPS

yep carry an older Magellan 600 with whole OZ topo in it , and mark waypoint at car/camp and then turn it off as condor does , and also normally carry phone in my backpack turned off which also has tower or satellite gps .

Latest posts