Advice on GPS units

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Zakman,

Map reading is a skill that is being lost in the age of GPS and moving maps. Many of us have a gps equipped smart phone and there are apps that simply display your current co-ordinates so if you've left your grandpa's sextant at home your smart phone is your modern equivalent :) with which to plot your position on your Topomap or on the various well known goldfields maps (all the ones i use have a map grid overlay). Myself I use an old GARMIN Etrex SUMMIT preloaded with my waypoints and a BUSHNELL BackTrack to lead me back to my car or camp.

casper

Yes I have an Iphone.

So I will try and see if I get a reasonable signal out in the bush.

Thks Casper > ZAK

Good tip Casper I've download it and will give it a try Thanks. Zakman

Always carry a compass out in the bush as a backup for when your batteries run out. Take a bearing on your car before you leave it so you can always work your way back to it when you get turned around out in the bush.

Thanks Gcause .

That good advise I Thought of that better not use my Iphone compass hahah.

Due to battery life .

Zak man

sry all maybe in the wrong topic

I am looking at buying a gps and was not sure where to post this (soo please move if u can )
iam after a gps that is cheap, I can use pc(google) to upload waypoints and then download back, save car location a must (been lost before )))) any thoughts plz would help

thank all richard

I've always used Garmin for a personal GPS.
Have a look at Johnny Appleseed on the web, I just bought a PLB from them, great price, great service.
You can compare a number of GPSs re price and functionality.

Biggest thing to consider is don't buy from overseas, the base map may not be applicable and the warranty might as well not exist.

Hi Guys,

I already own a Bushnell Backtrack but looking at buying something that has more features.

Do you have a favorite GPS unit you like to use and if so why do you use that specific GPS unit.

Thanks for reading.

Joe

Gday Wolfau, Personally i dont think you can go past an ETREX 20-30 loaded with Topo Map all Aus & Nz.
i am sure there are heaps of other options but now i am getting used to mine and i a very happy with it. JohnnyAppelsead have good specials on GPS systems as well.ps-the ETREX 10 doe'snt have map capability.around $400 with the map however so it is not in everyones budget .MUST CARRY SPARE BATTERIESas even the Lithiums drop dead after a while. !

Hi Wolfau,
I have been working with a Garmin Montana 650T with the Aust NZ topo map V4 for the past ten months or so,very happy with it.
The 650T has a big screen that is easily read in bright sunlight, also when it's installed in the auto mount (recommended) it's great for in-car navigation both in the bush and as a street navigator with audio prompts; IE both in-car and a hand-held unit in the one device.
With Garmin's Basecamp software (free download) you can do a lot of planing at home on a desktop or laptop on areas you intend to prospect; just connect the 650T to the computer and the topo map will come up on Basecamp, you can create waypoints, tracks and routes and then up-load them to the GPS.
Google Garmin and you will find a stack of info on their range of GPS units and some great video tutorials.
The only downside is they cost around $7oo.oo with the topo V4 map and auto kit, also they are larger and a bit heavier than the others in the range, that said though they are a fab unit and in my opinion well worth the $$$$$s and the heavier weight given the features.
Hope the above is of some help.
Cheers,SinHof.

I have no affiliation with any company (I'm retired) I have an old B/W Garmin Etrex Legend and a Garmin in car Nuvi.
I got an Etrex 20 late last year as a freebee with the GPX5000. Yesterday I ordered Topo maps for it. The Etrex 20 is about as small as you can get for a pocket GPS with maps, uses 2 x AA Alkalines which last 12hrs constant use (so easy enough to carry a couple of spares).

When working with Defence (30yrs) the only brand I saw was Garmin. They really are the pioneers and industry standard for civilian use GPS. I've bought from Johnny Appleseed online, I haven't seen a cheaper price and service is great.

Colmaca said:
for you xtrex users I use free topo maps from shonky maps :) no need to pay for something you can get free :)

http://shonkylogic.net/shonkymaps/

Thanks for that, I have Auslig 1:250,000, but also Vicmap 1:25,000. There is a huge difference with detail from 250k to 25k.

The Garmin Topo maps approximate 100K, whereas Shonkymaps are 250K. I think if budget is the consideration Shonkymaps are great. But if it's not, then Garmins 100K would be the way to go. When on foot, we normally are in a smallish area covering a few kms, so I want the best resolution I can get. In a car, we can cover 100s of kms in the same time so resolution is not as important.

I tend to use my Gps to find my way back to camp :) I use Google earth to plan trip then place a track to follow on Gps :) that's the easy way I can see a hill on foot :p

i use a etrex 20 garmin guys havnt had any dramas with it ,thanks for the tip about the shonky maps will check it out .

We bought a Hema HN6 which runs in 2 seperate modes. Igo for normal nav, and oziexplorer for 4wd mode. Just pop it in my backpack when i get out of the car and it cookie trails where i go. Can hook it up to the computer to input gps co ords for mines etc. And to add waypoints and plan journeys. Itsnot a cheap one, i think around $700 now, but it is great for both in car nav and in the field.

I use a Pipo M9 pro 10.1" tablet with built in GPS receiver and running Memory Map with Aus topo maps 250k good enough for what I want, tablet was $299.99 delivered, Memory Map was free from Play Store, you can add waypoints and tracks, great with an in car holder, plus its a computer.

Cheers,
Paul

Latest posts