Garrett Sea Hunter Mark 2

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've got a sea hunter mark 2 that has never been used but was working on first unpacking and test.

I stupidly left batteries in and some corrosion has taken place and it is not longer working.

Garrett tell me the unit is nitrogen sealed and will have to be posted to US for repair. Australia do not have the facility to reseal.

No issues with this really but cost of postage and repair might not really be worth it.

Seems a shame for it to go in the bin and not be repaired. Especially considering I never got the chance to use it and now I finally have a little time to use it.

Does anyone know if it can be repaired in Australia at a reasonable price? Is the nitrogen sealed comment genuine? Seems right with pressure at the 60 meters deep.

Any advice appreciated

I've got a sea hunter mark 2 that has never been used but was working on first unpacking and test.
I stupidly left batteries in and some corrosion has taken place and it is not longer working.
Garrett tell me the unit is nitrogen sealed and will have to be posted to US for repair. Australia do not have the facility to reseal.
No issues with this really but cost of postage and repair might not really be worth it.
Seems a shame for it to go in the bin and not be repaired. Especially considering I never got the chance to use it and now I finally have a little time to use it.

Does anyone know if it can be repaired in Australia at a reasonable price? Is the nitrogen sealed comment genuine? Seems right with pressure at the 60 meters deep.
Any advice appreciated
Nitrogen sealing isn't specifically mentioned in the Owner's Manual, which just says that the electronics compartment is factory sealed:

Garrett SH2.jpg

Excellent thanks, definitely sealed somehow then.

Sounds like it has to be sent to US for proper repair or opened and repaired locally but will likely no longer be waterproof.

If anyone knows of anyone in Victoria who could be up for the job, please let me know.

An update to this thread.

I've had some advice to clean the corrosion for the springs in the bottom of the battery recess.

Seems nearly impossible.

Anyone one got any tip?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20231109_203239.jpg
    IMG_20231109_203239.jpg
    915 KB · Views: 0
If I was trying to do that task, I'd use a suitable length flat-blade screwdriver to scrape away at them, then blow out the particles removed. A long-handled artist's paintbrush (cheap in the kids crafts section of BigW), will help to make sure that the residue comes out.

All that's really needed is metal-to-metal contact beween the top of each spring and the corresponding battery terminal - I doubt that the rest of the springs matter and you're never going to get them back to 100% pristine condition no matter what you do.

So I purchased the rotary tool as per the above link and cleaned the springs with the wire brush as best as I could as the attached picture.

Still no joy on getting this work.

Garrett have said not worth the fix, likely too costly.

Does anyone have any final thoughts before I write this off?

Attachments

• PXL_20231122_080022035.jpg
    PXL_20231122_080022035.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
If you want to send me the control box and battery packs, I'll have a look at it for you. I've got one myself buried somewhere in my storage locker along with some SH II bits and pieces, so I could check out yours with my coil and batteries and see if I can figure out what's gone wrong.

I've got no special tech skills, so I can't undertake brain surgery, but I hate to see potential good things scrapped and who knows, I just might be able to come up with something to bring it back from the dead for you.

If u can get onto a bloke called Phil Sternes used to be garrett importer , fixer for garrett I haven't talked to him for couple of years now he was always helpful

Thanks for the responses guys.

Another member already diverted me to Phil.

I spoke with him for a while and he told me to clean the springs to start with.

He told me to send to him if I got stuck but I was trying to avoid that as I didn't want to burden him with it.

I will get in touch again and see if he is keen.

And thank you to Grubstake for the offer. I'll see how I go with Phil and go from there.

I'm pretty keen to save this!

Thanks

Phil S has done repair work for me in the past and I'd have no hesitation in asking him to have a look at any of these older Garretts that had an issue. I believe he's retired now, but hopefully he'll help you if he can.

Many times I've used a few drops of vinegar or lemon juice on the corroded contact points, then little sprinkle of baking soda.
It will fizz for a minute, then clean with a small soft haired art paint brush dipped in warm water.
Air or blow dry, then a little spray of INOX.
🍻

This is what is used for car battery terminal cleaning....It would have a similar effect to Nesral’s suggestion above. Just let some soak on the terminals for awhile and brush off with warm water and blow dry.
SCA_639778-00_hi-res.jpg

This is what is used for car battery terminal cleaning....It would have a similar effect to Nesral’s suggestion above. Just let some soak on the terminals for awhile and brush off with warm water and blow dry.
It says on the label that stuff is for use on acid corrosion deposits (presumably on the lead terminals of lead/acid car batteries), whereas the detector problem is from ALKALINE battery leakage on steel coil terminals. Would it even work in this case?

An update to this.

The battery acid made it's way inside the control unit and repairing seems very unlikely now.

If anyone has a spare control unit for sale please let me know.

Failing that I will have headphones and 2 search coils for the the sea hunter up for grabs.

Latest posts