12 Weeks To Find First Gold (Persistence Pays).

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reef Rover said:
Hi MG. I went back to reread your post for like the 9th time and it was gone! :eek: ....There was a moment of self abuse for not taking snaps of the thread.....then I spotted it on the Sticky column! :) Yes! Snaps taken now!

This thread absolutely belongs in the Sticky column!

The knowledge and experience you've shared is awesome! and it's truly a rare thing for someone to be willing to share it. I have learned heaps from your post and thoroughly love reading it. you've encouraged me to think a bit differently about the way I do things and how to go about reading the ground. Thank you much MG!!!

And please consider me for one of the 5-10 on your field day out. You name it. Anywhere, Anytime, I'm in! :) Thanks again
Regards Richard

Hi Richard,

Glad you found the Sticky - I can't PM you can you send me a PM? At the moment I have received a large response to our advanced group day out - the list seemed to fill in 2 days. In saying this I can always have another group on separate days - I just noticed all these new posts on a new page and seems to be another 5 or 6 users keen for a day out.

I would also like to thank everyone for showing such interest in my thread - and especially to the Prospecting Australia Moderators for their support and making this thread a sticky. I will continue to provide detailed informative post to all users.

we all know how hard it can be sometimes to find the elusive metal - some have good days and some have not so good. Sharing information is not me telling you that if you go to XYZ you will find gold - but more so helping those early operators to speed up their learning curve and for higher level operators to maybe help on anything they may have overlooked which in turn could open up many avenues

I will start another list and send you all PM's

Thanks

Excellent information minelab gold very addictive reading.

When i am out detecting i usually spend all day trying to decipher what the old timers were up to and by the end of the day i all most have a head ache trying to nut it out.
Your posts have shone some light on some of it .
I really need to take some photos next time i go to my spot .

but the question i have today is about test holes 5 or 6 foot after the end of deep runs. The whole area was surfaced with several deep runs in it and at the end of each of these there is what i am guessing are test holes dug to the same depth as the deep trenches.

Are these to check what depth the pay is at ?
Or are they to double check if it has run out ?
Were they simply dug to stop water rushing down their workings ?
Is it worth digging the ground between them and the deep trench ?
The fact they are not joined to the trench inclines me to think they were double checking if the gold had run out but i am only guessing.

I hope that makes sense and if you can help make sense of it i will have another 20 questions for you :lol: , thanks.

Hi MG, Thanks for your reply. I for some reason can not access any form of email system on this forum? But if you could email me at
*email address removed due to forum rules*

I sure appreciate you doing a second field day sometime to accommodate the extra folks that are keen. Thanks much. Look forward to hearing from you. Regards Richard

Mod edit: Richard, you will require over 10 posts to access the PM service and view email addresses.

aussiefarmer said:
Excellent information minelab gold very addictive reading.

When i am out detecting i usually spend all day trying to decipher what the old timers were up to and by the end of the day i all most have a head ache trying to nut it out.
Your posts have shone some light on some of it .
I really need to take some photos next time i go to my spot .

but the question i have today is about test holes 5 or 6 foot after the end of deep runs. The whole area was surfaced with several deep runs in it and at the end of each of these there is what i am guessing are test holes dug to the same depth as the deep trenches.

Are these to check what depth the pay is at ?
Or are they to double check if it has run out ?
Were they simply dug to stop water rushing down their workings ?
Is it worth digging the ground between them and the deep trench ?
The fact they are not joined to the trench inclines me to think they were double checking if the gold had run out but i am only guessing.

I hope that makes sense and if you can help make sense of it i will have another 20 questions for you :lol: , thanks.

Hi AussieFarmer,

Thats easy to understand - we like to put ourselves in their shoes all the time, many people who arent related to previous generations of miners can only go off literature documented, reading articles published from descendants or even looking at images of the old days and how they ran their operations - many people look at the grounds in different ways.

Depending on the grounds the gold could have been covered by basalts sediments etc - and they would simply test by digging holes to the rock bottom or auriferous wash on hard bottom not necessarily rock. Or they may have seen the gold sitting on the surface abundant like quartz many instances are different but most times it would be see an indication, dig, test

Working their way down the incline or central or even at the bottom upwards then they would simply dig and follow the gold until it wasnt rich paydirt or completely ran out - if their main concentration was lets say 1foot wide of rich alluvial they wouldnt dig only a 2 foot gully/lead they would make sure they have it covered by digging an extra 3 foot each way and the ends of these leads they would continue great distances to ensure that the ground didnt sweep upwards then back down into another rich hole.

At the start or end of a lead - this isnt the exact point the gold ran out they may have continued upwards in the gully and downwards in serveral directions based on the classification of the wash dirt they were chasing - and they may have found the gold in the central point and worked both ways - you will often see a lead going in one direction then branches out and stops these off shoots were again a concentration of heavies on a hard bottom trapped because the hard bottom slightly undulated - test holes to the sides were to see if there was any undulation on the rock bottom causing the gold to get trapped again in another off shoot or pocket.

During the main gold rush days many miners were trying to catch the lead and they trailed the sides anywhere from a few holes along the sides to 100's of holes spanning 100mtrs outwards from the sides of the main gully - again it comes down to the incline - degree of angle of the slopes or grounds - shallow undulation incline gold spread out more - steep incline gully - gold was more concentrated

The extra test holes top and bottom were also a test to see if the gold started and stopped due to the depth of the bottom - again the miners knew about these undulation - much like a sluice the dirt material comes down washes the light off and it keeps going and the gold gets trapped in undulated area's or riffles or cracks crevices etc etc

You may even see gullies/leads with lets say majority of test holes in a tight area then all the way along a lead the numbers of test holes are reduced considerably this is usually the starting point of the gold finds and many test holes to ensure the gold isnt running away in many directions so they could ensure they were following the richest lead.

Test holes along the sides of gullies depending on how many there are, size and type will often let you see what period the miners were their, remember the mid 1800's was the major gold rush days and many came back to the fields for many years pre war and post war to again work the grounds. This was due to these time events and also some major gold rush towns diminished as a new massive rush started - weather was also a major factor in mines closing down due to the water tables rising and filling in the lower parts of the mines.

You will also notice that test holes along the sides are generally staggered - this was for safety as well - in mining terms or geology terms dont remove the keystone - this makes for a more structurally sound area to work. And makes sense to find gold why stay in a straight line staggering is more efficient covering the full line beside the lead.

Are these to check what depth the pay is at ? Loaming, Test Holes, Find Gold. Follow the Gold, Dig the lead out until it runs out see if it changes direction, and yes most definitely the most important part of test holes was to find color and find the bottom with the auriferous wash - many mushroomed their holes because so much work and the advantage of this wash the paydirt or wash material was easier to get to - some actually followed the rich material from a simple test hole much like an adit in the bottom of a test hole or a drive off a shaft - as long as they had hard material above them - Modern Day Detector Operators, Loam to some degree, Find Target, Dig Target, Find Gold, Try to establish origin, follow gold, Runs out same same only disadvantage we have is depth but a better advantage is even if we dig test holes we can use a detector on the dirt rather than hours panning or processing the dirt.

Or are they to double check if it has run out ? All grounds can be different again depending on the gully and incline or depth - majority of sediments and light material covered the heavy wash over millions of years the reason test holes get shallower top and sides is because the grounds shallow out as you get higher - looking for dips or undulated area's in these leads can be great where it shallows out. If you study the size and type of test hole this will help you distinguish if these test holes were during the period of the worked gully or if it was several years after - miners returning to what was once rich to maybe find an off shoot they missed.

Were they simply dug to stop water rushing down their workings ? Generally miners wouldnt dig a large 3x3 or 6x6 test hole to catch water so close to their gold lead - they would rather divert the water away with channels, water race type and direct it into a catchment or an area well away from the gully so it wouldnt cause the sides to collapse.

Is it worth digging the ground between them and the deep trench? I always look at the theory that if it is gold bearing ground then there could be gold wedged away in a little hard spot or pocket anywhere in the area. All's it takes is for the hard material underneath to have an area that has caught gold it could be a simple little pocket of the side of the original ancient creek that has caught Oz of alluvial gold and never found it's way out because of hard pocket and covered by sediment.

What I always keep in mind is 2 different nuggets found Welcome Stranger and Welcome Nugget - Welcome Stranger 3cm from surface arguably exposed 3500+ounces, Welcome Nugget 180feet deep 2217 ounces

Hopefully this helps some

Hi MG

Great posts for all levels of experience. I am two months in and finding very small gold with the SDC however need the skills to read the areas. I have the maps but this doesn't help with the mindset you need when selecting an area to detect. I would be keen to be involved in a field day. I know you have been inundated and this is a credit to your experience and willingness to share. Keep me in mind if you set a day and I can fit in.

Regards

Steve

Hi All,

Today I went out for an hour or so and thought to capture some images relating to a previous post.

1. Here we see the main lead coming up the hill and I have marked the red lines at some leads you may see this, the lead breaks out in multiple directions usually based on the contour of the ground if it is undulated in area's or simply to try to catch which way the gold has gone when it runs very dry for the miners.
1476868640_pic_0280.jpg

2. This image is 180 degree in the other direction - you see multiple test holes continue upwards of the gully incline uphill - rather than exerting a lot of energy and moving bulk loads of dirt they would often test to rock bottom staggered upwards to see if the gold was still rich. Or to confirm that the rich concentration has depleted from the main lead.
1476868798_pic_0281.jpg

3. This image is me standing looking back towards the position of where I took the image of the lead running up to me. See how it breaks in multiple directions - frenzy to find why the gold has just stopped - in search of which direction it came from - you wont see it in images - when they were mining and it went dry they would continue because of a high spot in the hard bottom and then it dips back down and the gold rich pay dirt comes back.
1476869046_pic_0282.jpg

4. Walking further down the gully you may also come across sections like this where you can see this was a main track designed to cart in and out of the lead. Often this would be a sign of the original find in the lead - or depending on depth they would make this every so often. These are good to check hoping to find some paydirt fallen out - I might head back here and move the tree branches sticks etc - the only issue with this one I found has a front end from a vehicle sitting centre point - further up the lead where I took those main pictures there has been 2 vehicle bodies pushed in there as well.
1476869206_pic_0283.jpg

5. Often when you see deep leads the amount of dirt around the edge of the test holes covers the original ground surface - in these images the yellow line marks the main lead - and another shoot coming off the main lead - this runs up a slight gully where the side of the bank dips in on both sides - like a creek joining into another main creek. The sides of these are excellent area's - this tells us that we had gold forming from multiple directions - if the ground is not super steep then good chance the gold has spread upwards on the sides
1476869374_pic_0284.jpg

1476869393_pic_0285.jpg

1476869415_pic_0286.jpg

1476869434_pic_0287.jpg

6. I had a swing for a short while and continued further down the gully looking for the shallow sections on the tighter bends of the gully. Remember gold will find the path of least resistance in water and simply fall out from the strong currents along the hard bottom ie tight bends or any bends, crevices, cracks, wedge into soft and find the hard spot and live until we dig it out. You will see often in leads on bends more test holes on one the particular side, then again on the other side where you are on the next bend down if it switches direction - I found this section where there were very shallow test holes, some shallow worked area's not like test holes but pretty much taking 1 to 2 feet of dirt from the top - see in these images how the ground steps down maybe a foot like a shelf - I managed to get a faint signal with all the overgrowth and top soil - the target came from hard wash but still in top soil type dirt mixed with quartz ironstone compressed sediments clays etc
1476869695_pic_0288.jpg

1476869732_pic_0290.jpg

1476869763_pic_0292.jpg

1476869793_pic_0294.jpg

7. This was after I cleaned what I thought was ironstone at the time - appears to be compressed clay, sediments, ironstone, quartz much like a soft conglomerate - when I say soft its still rock hard to some degree - some conglomerates are extremely hard depending on how long a period it was wet, baked, compressed
1476870108_pic_0296.jpg

1476870126_pic_0297.jpg

1476870142_pic_0298.jpg

8. In the last 2 days pulled out some old timers picks and rock splitters - see the big axe style rock splitter - have a look at the distortion on the back where another miner would hit

Also these picks were all in same area and you can notice the different era based on the style. And yep they absolute screamed
1476870872_pic_0300.jpg

Wow another great story with pics to go , I feel so helplessly behind the 8 ball...I did find a spec like yours in the last photo's but tossed it away thinking hot rock.
So much to learn with so little time.

Thanks again for posting
Cheers

Mine Lab Gold ,

Once again a very informative post ....
Thank you very much for imparting this information...
I have learnt so much from your posts....
Thank you very much keep them coming ....

Cheers Nanjim
Jim

Gravity said:
Wow another great story with pics to go , I feel so helplessly behind the 8 ball...I did find a spec like yours in the last photo's but tossed it away thinking hot rock.
So much to learn with so little time.

Thanks again for posting
Cheers

Hi Gravity,

Thanks - a little piece of advice - if your unsure on some hot rocks keep yourself a very small piece of lead, gold whichever or even a few various size whether they are sub gram 0.3 or 1.0gram depending on the size of your hot rock - if you hold the small piece on the back side of a rock similar size rock or slightly bigger to your hot rock this will show you a signal of a concentration of mineral as opposed to a concentration of iron ore in the hot rock. If the signal is solid similar in depth/size then it could well be gold.

many times I have busted open a hot rock with nothing but a sure solid signal is definitely worth breaking open - many times you will see the iron ore is that richly concentrated it is almost black.

You will see what I mean though if you have a hot rock and same size rock with 0.3g on the back side the different signal whether solid or not.

Usually anything above medium range to solid rather than smooth if nothing is visible. Only takes a minute at most in the field to crack them

It will become second nature the more often you find the solids

I have found several of those things in the bottom of the picture at a site I found recently with no recorded activity I could find anywhere. Found 3 and one of those massive metal wedges. What was the item at the bottom of the photo used for?

the_smoo said:
I have found several of those things in the bottom of the picture at a site I found recently with no recorded activity I could find anywhere. Found 3 and one of those massive metal wedges. What was the item at the bottom of the photo used for?

The item at the bottom of the image is a single pick - there are many variations for the old days, some double head picks which are more sharp or pointy, double head pick axe hoe - where the hoe part is more wide across the blade much like our modern picks for detecting point on one side to cut right in and wide on the other to move material or cut through soft material.

Hi All,

I also wanted to post this up for those new to the wonderful world of prospecting - things to keep mindful of while out in the bush here in Vic GT

We all know about the large deep square shafts - and not to walk backwards while detecting even one step backwards can put you in a lot of trouble

This time of year we start to see the lizards being more active - some stumpy's just sitting trying to soak up the little sun we see this time of year, which means snakes not too far off coming out of their hibernation.

Spider webs between tree's if your not paying attention constantly to where you have walked from and where you are heading you could just have a face full of spider web - I think anyone who has detected just up from the goldfields reservoir in Maryborough on the gully leading into it will vouch for the orb spiders between all the tree's - this was the most I have seen in one area was almost like a maze weaving through the spider webs

Im sure you all know about this time of year very moist and dense with the flies and mosquito's swarming - I use bushmans insect repellent its just enough to keep them at bay and not end up having 20 mosquito bites by the time you are finished - being calm while detecting is very important if flies and bugs etc stress you out then get bushmans spray

Because we have had so much water in area's be very mindful of the edge of holes - some holes I have noticed recently have mushroomed at the tops - a few holes in the one section have had that much erosion where I was standing looking at the erosion on the other side of the hole and it was all the way around - I thought better move away and check from the other side where I was standing - and sure enough I was standing on about 300mm of dirt and it was eroded back about 3 feet underneath, lucky I was paying enough attention to notice.

When I first started prospecting one thing I picked up on very fast was the big ants - these things are very aggressive this time of year or most times when they are out - I found this beautiful target in a slight mullock pile - first thing I did pulled out the pick and cleared my top away - all of a sudden I felt a sharp sting on my leg - then another one, I look back just behind me where I was standing and there was about 50+ large ants - yep thats right ants in the pants - if you were sitting up the hill watching me I guarantee you would have been in hysterics - detector gear down quick smart - pants off running around smacking these ants off me - I had about 5 run up my legs and 3 bites - the bites or stings depending on which ant can last for days and weeks.

Out the bush today I thought to snap some pics for you - I found a nest
1. Image one is without me going near the nest standing about 6 feet away
1476953145_pic_0303.jpg

2. This was after tapping the ground in 3 places on each side of the nest - then standing 6 feet away again - within 5 to 10 seconds there would have been 50 or so ants in a 600mm radius - some are camo with the color of the ground but you can see how many are in this image zoomed in
1476953230_pic_0307.jpg

If you sit your headphones down while prospecting or taking a break - make sure you check before they go back on your ears - also your detector shaft handle box - while it is sitting down on your break when you are ready to go again double check nothing is crawling on there.

If you have kids in the bush make sure they are very well trained for bull ants - some ants bite with the nippers and some both bite and sting with their tails

On windy days make sure you always look up as well for any dead tree branches that can come down while you focus on digging

These are just some of the things that come to mind - if anyone else can add some details on hazards, dangers, creepy crawlies to keep mindful of that would be great.

cheers!

Minelab Gold said:
the_smoo said:

The item at the bottom of the image is a single pick - there are many variations for the old days, some double head picks which are more sharp or pointy, double head pick axe hoe - where the hoe part is more wide across the blade much like our modern picks for detecting point on one side to cut right in and wide on the other to move material or cut through soft material.

One good point in there,
Don't look up while walking forwards.
You may suddenly make a terminal departure downwards while looking for Danger's upwards. :)
Stop, Look up and around, Look down and then walk forwards.
I taught that one to my SES crew.
After the usual briefings on Old Abandoned Minefields.

Yes. This would be a must have book! Put me on the list for that too! Once again fantastic thread MG! Regards Richard

Them big bugger ants will hunt you too. I watched some the other day after digging a small hole, no where near there nest but I swear they knew were I was sat still for a moment and watched them home in on me before moving away a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts