⭐ Gold Detecting Show'n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We've been busy doing house work for too long. This morning we dragged ourselves out of bed early and headed home to Cue.

1556546126_sunrise_29-4-19.jpg

It should have been a four and a half hour drive but Mrs M spotted this patch of gold reflecting off the clouds in the far distance. Me, Mr Eager-t-please obliged by making a slight diversion just to help break up the journey.

1556546339_sandras_first_29-4-19.jpg

It's been nearly seven weeks since Mrs M's new right hip was installed. Unfortunately being in Cue all efforts to make contact with the physiotherapist have failed but she seems to be coming along just fine as long as she's distracted enough to ignore the pain from excessive exercise. We have the high-chair, high-toilet seat, high-car seat, shower chair, crutches and more but they are just cluttering up the house although I must admit that high toilet seat is great in the bush.

1556547269_making_nuggets.jpg

While off the gold subject I'll just show you this unusual find with the GPX4500.

1556547452_rock_cube2.jpg

This looks like its been cut out of solid rock. It sets off the detector but does not stick to the magnet.

1556547561_rock_cube1.jpg

Anyway, the distraction along the way worked out ok. I found this nice little 3.5g nugget two metres from my recent 32g bit.

1556547669_phils_first_29-4-19.jpg

We arrived home just before 4:30 pm with a van load of tools and left over materials from our recent house work but that can be unpacked tomorrow ;)

1556548142_gold_29-4-19.jpg

At least we covered the fuel cost for the trip home :)

mbasko said:
Moneybox your "rock" could be Devils Dice (Limonite after Pyrite).

mbasko, I've been told that but I thought devils dice cleavage gave it sheer sides?

Moneybox said:
mbasko said:

mbasko, I've been told that but I thought devils dice cleavage gave it sheer sides?
Looks like it's been well loved throughout time.... for a long... long... time :p :Y:

silver said:
Moneybox said:
mbasko said:

Looks like it's been well loved throughout time.... for a long... long... time :p :Y:

Yes Silver I've seen cleavage develop a few flaws after many long years with a bit of well loved use O:)

Moneybox said:
silver said:
Moneybox said:
mbasko said:

Yes Silver I've seen cleavage develop a few flaws after many long years with a bit of well loved use O:)

:lol: :lol:

Moneybox said:
mbasko said:

Devil's Dice (Limonite after Pyrite) has no cleavage. Limonite fracture is uneven, splintery.
Iron pyrite cubes (also known as devils dice) can have a more sheer look but can also have facial striations.
The Limonite after Pyrite devil's dice is basically weathered iron pyrite cubes where the limonite has replaced the pyrite preserving the cubic structure & other things like any facial striations present.

mbasko said:
Moneybox said:
mbasko said:

Devil's Dice (Limonite after Pyrite) has no cleavage. Limonite fracture is uneven, splintery.
Iron pyrite cubes (also known as devils dice) can have a more sheer look but can also have facial striations.
The Limonite after Pyrite devil's dice is basically weathered iron pyrite cubes where the limonite has replaced the pyrite preserving the cubic structure & other things like any facial striations present.

Well at least I won't lay awake at night listening for the Transformers :)

Been a long time coming this short trip.

Three full days out Central West NSW areas with my young bloke. We were washed out on the last day but were very happy with the gold show, just under 10 gms total is a good trip in anyone's books.

Hit a new record for myself with a 5 grammer. Was deep (approx 35cms) but when you get that deep you kinda know/hope its going to be gold (most likely, but NOT ALWAYS) Getting down to a hard clay layer or any type of bedrock you get a bit excited coupled with the mellow tone that gold and or lead produces. Having said that the 5 gm nugget sounded like a huge junk target once close to the coil!

Still learning a lot and its hard to break old habits formed when you start to actually find a bit of gold. I have to pry myself away from the actual diggings which is where I learnt with the SDC. Finding gold in random spots now. GPZ and SDC are a great combo for a two man show.

1557099173_2019-05-06_08.54.18_1557098097997_resized.jpg

Young fella with younger ears and has just completed a Music Engineering degree so he should be able to hear threshold changes really well!

1557099172_2019-05-06_08.53.20_1557098099186_resized.jpg

What I had at lunchtime day one using GPZ.

1557099172_2019-05-06_08.52.36_1557098099920_resized.jpg

What he had at lunchtime with the SDC.

1557099171_2019-05-06_08.43.50_resized.jpg

Combined efforts for three relaxing days away. Just short of 10gms after an Alibrite bath.

I always enjoy reading and looking at others gold pics and efforts to get the gold, so like I to contribute as well when I can.

Cheers RS

Gotta be happy with 3gms a day :goldnugget: tally
The central west still has places to explore and the gold out there ,what you found looks very nice after a clean retirment stone.
And its great your taking your young bloke out with you, its something I want to do with my own son when he gets back from over seas .. cheers :perfect:

I'm back in Capel tonight, it was only 1000 km journey but I find it difficult to do that in one day (only about 900 km if I go direct) so a slight diversion for an overnight stay on the goldfields was called for.

My plan was to be working on the trailer but the gas bottle Geraldton Bunnings gave to my friend was an empty one, somebody's empty return bottle. That left me with the choice of waiting for another possible delivery or to go and get it myself. I chose the latter.

I had to get down to Capel at some point anyway so here I am emptying the house ready for a home-open this weekend.

Anyway I got a nugget :)

1557154710_nug_5-5-19.jpg

I thought I might have had another one too but when I chipped away at the solid rock it just came away as white dust. The rock is called Limonite, a form of iron ore and in this case a hotrock giving me a false signal from the metal detector :(

1557154752_hotrock.jpg

It was nearing midnight by the time I finished chipping away at that rock and I needed my sleep for that big drive today....

Latest posts