Night detecting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've done lots of night detecting out from Alice Springs and in WA. Never had an issue so long as you take some basic precautions, like carry your GPS. We also set up a flashing beacon like on the top of mines vehicles, which can be seen for some distance from the car / quad / camp.The mozzies are bad in Vic goldfields at the moment so night detecting would sure be a " buzz " LOL 🤣🤣
Rick

Last edited:
Love night detecting and with the right equipment and safety in mind it’s no more dangerous than daytime. I use a headlamp and carry a very bright flashlight to look at lay of landscape. If no wind i hang headlamp off harness to keep bugs away from face as I don’t like wear head net I have had too shine light in my ears a few times so the bug finds the right way out. I do live in the goldfields full time I have been a professional prospector and grown up in very remote locations does put me at advantage to others. So asses all your risks and match each one with a control to minimise the hazards. You will find less gold at night in a city and far more dangerous than walking around the outback.

Latest posts