My At Pro Coin finds for 2016

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still trying to clean up the florins I found a week ago. The silvers cleaning bath I tried to make doesn't seem to do the job. Probably the 12v charger I'm using. I'll keep at it and get them up when I can clean them.

Finally gave up on the electrolyte bath to clean the coins when I found the power packs I was using were faulty. So I reverted back to good old "Silvo". So here are the Florin Trio from my time away in the van.
The 1874 Sixpence came up a treat too but I forgot to take a piccie. Will do that when I get another chance and post it.
1464142256_20160524_194805.jpeg

Easiest thing to use for electrolysis is an old mobile phone charger, seems to do the job just fine for me. Sometimes it doesn't work so well on the 50% silvers leaving a copper tarnish, and is better off used on the .925 coins. :)

Yep, had 3 GP and none of them worked probably because Id flogged them when they were charging my phones over 6 years. Anyway got the mini sluice working using my van battery. Blimey, it really shoots the water down the 4" downpipe. Makes me wonder if I couldnt go to 6" and get the same result. I used carpet for the gold catch but I'll have to get some ribbed rubber but here in SA its a bit harder to get.

I went to my Favourite local place today for a couple of hours and scored some interesting stuff.
2xHalfpennies 1919, 1921, I x Britannia Penny 1907, a grotty 5c [Always know I'm going to have a good day when I get one of these early] and 1x$1. I found an insignia from an I.H.Sorby Saw, [either tenon or larger] and a brass 81 badge that may be a railway badge or something. If anyone's got an idea I'd greatly appreciate a comment. I wondered if it might be railway or infantry.

1465277810_1465276711_20160607_142433.jpg

1465277810_1465276756_20160607_142602.jpg

1465277810_1465276978_20160607_145032.jpg

Thanks Heatho. They were the right way round when I imported them but they turned when I submitted them.

As the AIF did not use regimental badges, distinctive insignia on uniforms was required to identify the wearers unit. In September 1914 it was announced that oxidised copper letters and numerals would be issued for wear on the collars of officers tunics and on the shoulder straps of other ranks.

1465296989_image.jpg

My guess would be the 81st (Wakefield) Infantry Regiment - South Australia

The photo doesn't help much Wal, but it looks like a rodeo rider in full action. The back is just a spigget where it looks like it fitted to a belt plate and then was riveted to it. It seems it may have worked loose and then just dropped off. As I found it in an area where rodeos have happened in the past, I just figgered that's what it was from, but hey, happy to entertain the Knight slaying the dragon. Might lead to one of my most sort after coins, 1/2 or full will do!!!!!!!

Thanks fellas for all your interest. As my hunt was confined to the following area it seems possible that the wearer of the badge could have been in fact from "A" Company - Moonta, Moonta Mines, Maitland.

Never let it be said that this forum can not unravel a mystery. I still don't know whether the badge can be related to "A" Company but hey, the honour of holding such a relic is great.

Its just like the feeling I had when I held that 1 penny token I found in Qld. Who was this person? Where did they come from? What happened to them? In this instance, who was the guy and did he manage to return from the fight?

Thinking about it I might take a photo of the back of it so you can see how it was attached.

1465363640_20160608_145144.jpg
1465363670_20160608_145125.jpg

Now Heatho, these were the right way up. Lets see if they stay that way.
No! Upside down again. There must be a hassle with my settings. Where would I find it? [If I insert photos in Facebook its ok]

And its just occurred to me that the badge is complete WITH ITS COTTERPIN. So it hasn't fallen off the jacket - it was never attached. Perhaps someone was issued with it and dropped it before he got it home and onto the jacket. "inquiring minds, want to know".

The regimental badge was a cool historical find Daz, especially considering it is still complete with the cotter pin. The chance of actually finding one would have to be miniscule. :)

Love the old stuff Taz Daz, could be right about the rodeo, it is very fancy so it must have been of significance to the owner and a belt centre piece or even bridle decoration would make sense.

Thought by the way the reigns are very thick and connected to the head and the stirrups look like they may be big chocks of wood that it could have been a medieval inspired design.

Regardless, it is nice to have a mixed bag of goodies :cool:

Might have been attached, just that the fabric has completely rotted away leaving it looking just like that. :D

Latest posts