Minelab GPX5000 tips, settings and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bushpig said:
Its great to have people here willing to help out. Maybe I should employ you all at my workplace :D

Hahaha that's so true bushpig. Imagine have workers like all these guys and girls on here .

I agree though. The people on here are so helpful, I see it right through the forum. I'm only a newbie at the moment but as I get more experience I'll will definitely be giving back to the newbies at that time . Long road ahead , but so enjoyable .. :)

Have to agree on the Commander 15x12" as well...top coil let down only by weight....but its pretty robust. Used with a hipstick and you'd have no weight issues.

Iv also got an older Minelab 11" mono (black label)....GP 3000 era....and its still going, no doubt about Minelab coils, they were built for the long run.

Elips have more winding than round coils, while most wont punch as deep compared to the equivalent round coil, they offer a tad more sensitivity to their depth ability.

I'm still on my original Commander. Had a spare for a long time but realised it was better off with someone else than gathering dust. I actually wish the skidplate was half the thickness to save some weight.

For a long time when working flat terrain I used it without a skidplate, but since switching to the Pro Swing harness it's no issue.

I use a Nugget Finder 14 x 9 solid on my GPX 4500, really happy with the coil. Great in the bush around the Triangle (Dunolly area), it gets in and around the undergrowth. I hope this helps

turps123 said:
I use a Nugget Finder 14 x 9 solid on my GPX 4500, really happy with the coil. Great in the bush around the Triangle (Dunolly area), it gets in and around the undergrowth. I hope this helps

That's great. I'm leaning that way at the moment . Thanks for that turps123 :) :)

Narrawa said:
There that good i have two. Older model white plastic ones...not the ADV models....but i run a 4500, not a 5k.
I got one when they first came out, the second one came along at a latter date... there both still working but one is getting a little noisy due to age. Used in WA last season gone and it continues to find the goods. Couldn't for the life of me tell you the amount of gold they have found, but its quite a bit. From tiny sunbakers to nuggets at depth. These coils would have to be in my opinion, the best all rounders.
Highly recommend.

Gday Narrawa gee you get around mate!! I will have to agree the 17x11 Nugget Finder sings sweet on all the GPX models I have owned and Im a Coiltek guy... :eek:

Hi guys,

I own the 14" Nugget Finder coil and own
The 8" detech coil.

Just looking for a coil that goes deeper than the
14". Its the last coil i would need as most bases
In gold detection should be covered for shallow
And deep hold detecting here in Vic.

Have read that one option is a 16" and it is
the same as an 18" depth wise. No idea if this
Is correct though.

Would appreciatte some feedback though.

Thanks in Advance.

The 18 will defiantly out depth the 16 but it is not as sensitive on small gold ,do not be in a hurry to buy a coil as I have heard good report on the new coiltek 14 coil and have you tried inverting the signal and running deep on the front switch regards john :)

old hand said:
The 18 will defiantly out depth the 16 but it is not as sensitive on small gold ,do not be in a hurry to buy a coil as I have heard good report on the new coiltek 14 coil and have you tried inverting the signal and running deep on the front switch regards john :)

Totally agree with you in reference to the
Coiltek coil. Mate was after a 14" and he
Was told to wait until it was available.

I do believe one is available at Maryborough
For anyone interested though.

Can anyone tell me what setting are best or better for a 5000 in Forsayth qld in and around western creek and dels
hole as we are going up next month
me and a long lost cuz and has a 5000 as I do
many thanks mond.

No such thing as a best setting for any area mate, getting the right timing and coil for the job is most important to getting the machine running smooth and quiet, you could start in Normal timing with either a Mono or DD and go from there, if sticking with mono Fine/Gold or Enhance, if going with deeper timings try a DD.

This graph is excellent for helping to decide what to run. Unless you already know the soil/ground type it will take a bit of trial and error. That being said the presets work great with a little tweaking. Someone may be able to offer decent settings for the area from previous experience, but try yourself, you'll get a better understanding of your machine. Factory reset is your friend also, I use it regularly.

http://www.minelab.com/__files/f/37558/GPX-4500-VS-GPX-5000.pdf

Just wondering guys how you setup your rx gain and stabiliser.

Some advice given was to use the factory presets and crank the rx to say 11
then drop by 1 or 2 then drop the stabilizer a couple of down from the rx gain,
eg if rx gain was 11 then the stabilizer should be set at 9.

Will be using a GPX 5000 in Central Victoria and interested to hear about your
experience with this.

Thanks in Advance..

Geez mate, different settings for each outing, different soil types, weather, coils etc.
Get hold of a copy of JP's DVD to understand all.
But we always run that pattern, a few apart.

A lot of different ideas on this on our 5000 with a 14x7 nf around Amherst RX 14 and stab 12 works ok but can depend on the day and coils ,every person is different ,if I set my mothers detector up to the same as mine it would be warped around a tree .Just start with factory pre sets and crank it up if it gets unstable or noisy back it of regards john :)

Redfin said:
Geez mate, different settings for each outing, different soil types, weather, coils etc.
Get hold of a copy of JP's DVD to understand all.
But we always run that pattern, a few apart.

Yep purchased the GPX 5000 DVD and spent $50..

That don't help either because I just found out I need to buy the GPX 4500 dvd
instead because its where its all explained.

old hand said:
A lot of different ideas on this on our 5000 with a 14x7 nf around Amherst RX 14 and stab 12 works ok but can depend on the day and coils ,every person is different ,if I set my mothers detector up to the same as mine it would be warped around a tree .Just start with factory pre sets and crank it up if it gets unstable or noisy back it of regards john :)

As usual thanks for your helpful replies. Its appreciatted.

P.S I ended up buying a GPX5000 due to the price it went for and the warranty it had
left.

Latest posts