XP Deus information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find the wet beach program is really good but on the dry stuff I just use my own program that I made up for park detecting. Just a few tweaks on the basic 1 program. The dry beach program just didn't seem as good as a general program. The guys over west recommended this and it works well in the dry.

Water to the ankles has produced coins, a couple of rings and some ear rings. I haven't gone deeper yet as I don't have the signal cable yet.

Also, invest in one of the silicon covers for your controller, about $20 and takes the worry out of light rain and spashes.

Hi Morgan82,

Congrats on your 2.5gm nugget find. What type of soil was this found in. Would you be interested in sharing settings you used. I have an XP Dues myself here in Wa, haven't found any gold as yet, looking forward to going out soon. Can pm if you like.

Goldie

mbasko said:
Another light weight option at 1.4kg could be the Nokta/Makro Racer http://www.makrodetector.com/racer-metal-detector.html when released.
Seem to be getting good reviews on other detectors in Australia.
One con on the Deus is the coil cost if wanting other sizes etc. Pro - can be software updated (headphones, coil & remote) to latest version.
With the coil it includes the shaft. All you need
Is to purchase an upper shaft and you then have 2
Detectors. 1 operates on the headphones and the
Other operates via the remote.

You also have a deep boost mode so you don't
Need another coil.

You can also use it in the water as long as
You have the water kit.

Yes it works in wet and dry sand.

Weight is only around 880 grams without remote.

With remote its around 990 grams.

With the weight it includes a qaulity Upper alloy Shaft
not plastic.

Goldiewa said:
Hi Morgan82,

Congrats on your 2.5gm nugget find. What type of soil was this found in. Would you be interested in sharing settings you used. I have an XP Dues myself here in Wa, haven't found any gold as yet, looking forward to going out soon. Can pm if you like.

Goldie

No Problem. I am by no means saying this program is perfect and please, if anyone sees a setting that may be counter productive please let me know. This is my first custom program and also the one that I used to find the 2.5.

Disc - 25 (full tones in expert menu)
sensitivity - 85
freq - 11.7
iron vol - 2
reactivity - 3 ( -1 silencer in expert menu )
audio resp - 03 ( 1 audio overload ex menu)
Notch - 00-00

Then I just pump balance it once to ensure I am getting a reasonable ground value then switch to tracking.

Hi Morgan82,

Thanks for sharing this information about the XP Deus metal detector. It appeals to me very because it is affordable and very cleverly designed. However, I really want a machine I can chase gold nuggets with.

Has anyone else in this forum found gold with a Deus? Who else is using one to chase the yellow stuff?

Cheers,

DavidH

Thanks GoldieWA,

I hope you do very well with your XP Deus in the WA goldfields.

I had already seen the video on Youtube, and that's good. But the second link is not a video. It's a blog on the detector seller's website.

What I am still hoping to see is more feedback and proof from people in this forum. I'd have more confidence if testimony comes from people who have been around for a while, and who have been posting for a decent amount of time.

I love the idea of the Deus, but maybe I have to go for a White's PI machine instead. It is very hard to know at this stage.

Cheers and thanks again,

DavidH

I thought the Deus was a VLF detector. If you want to find gold you would be better with a PI machine. Even second hand one. I have not seen any serious prospectors using it or talking about it.

I love it and have had some good results in the test garden on 1g pieces down to about 8 inches but in all honesty, if gold is a hobby you are going to go hard at then the deus, as good as it is, won't get the results that some of the PI's will.

What it will do is be one of the best "all rounders" on the market and would also be great in the trashy areas that other detectors hate. Its that quiet.
I also enjoy the weight and absence of leads etc.

hey guys so i used to have a ctx3030 and everyone boasted about it in finding deep coins with a accurate tid but when i got past 8-9 inches with it the numbers would jump all over the place and the thing was so heavy it used to kill my arm after 45mins and i guess it felt really complicated and just overpriced .

now i have the deus. tho i have a new problem im only a new user with it but when i go out to hunt everyone says its good in trash the problem is when i use it it will ring up 81-83 for 1 and 2 dollar coins amoungst trash and instead i pull up tin foil and lots of bottle caps .now someone said to put the silencer on 4 but the problem is i found with the silencer at 4 sometimes it will silence even the good targets and i will miss some coins using this option so im really stuck on what i should do .granted im only a new user and i do like the dues im starting to think did i make a bad decision selling the ctx and it seems the deus numbers arent accurate past 3inches .

was also wondering does anyone have any good settings for finding old coins with the deus like shillings and silver and also how could i sift through the trash without digging up cans and bottle caps all day .

dont get me wrong one thing i found with the ctx is that it has its own silencer build in and i noticed that i could metal detect a place 3 times with the ctx and only find a few coins then when i got the deus i literally pulled up $500 in 1 and 2 dollar coins in a few weeks this was incredible to me because i tried every setting with the ctx and couldnt find anything i feel like the way the ctx 3030 avoids bottle caps so well is because it has a very powerful silencer and as a result this silencer works much like silencer 4 setting on the deus where it masks bad targets but being so powerful it can also mask the good coins as well and this would explain why i could search a area 3 dam times and pull up nothing and then go over it with the deus on silencer 2 and hit the jackpot with 100s of coins coming out of the ground .this is something that always was on my mind with the ctx and i think i finally figured out that yes the ctx has one hell of a powerful inbuilt silencer .

so anyway i wanna try find old australian coins but i wanna try avoid trash and have some sort of idea of what is under the ground with the deus does anyone have any good setting suggestions or tips id be most grateful .

im just wondering maybe i should of stuck with the ctx but i couldnt bare the weight of the dam thing and the pro swing i had did literally nothing to help me accept hurt my shoulder .i really wish minelab werent so overpriced with thier detectors because the ctx was a major letdown in quite a few aspects .

i do love the deus tho .how lightweight it is ,how programmable it is when i change my settings i actually feel like im making my own personal program when i did this with the ctx it just felt so all over the place and i didnt like the disc grid and stuff .i also like that the deus is so lightening fast i think its speed has definatly contributed to my success in finding the newer coins .anyway hope i havent rambled on to much any help would be a blessing :).

I have deleted your other posts on the same subject, no need to post the same question three times in different topics.

Have a read through the attached link, and in particular the section on the silencer operation. Hopefully it will help answer a few of your questions. You are possibly expecting too much from the silencer as a method of discriminating out unwanted targets, both ferrous and non-ferrous. Remember it is predominantly a filter for reducing feedback from iron, the higher the level used, the more small and iffy targets that will go through to the discrimination circuit. Like on most detectors, it is a matter of playing around with these settings and fine tuning to suit the area you detect. No good relying on what a mate says, as his area may require a completely different setup to what you require on your sites.

You also have to take into account that the Deus is predominantly a tone machine, with some deeper targets not even registering an on-screen ID (Makro Racer also comes to mind as doing the same). Also what frequency are you currently using, as that will also affect the depth capability and how sensitive it is to certain targets?

With regards to the jumpy ID 's at depth on the CTX , I think you will find most detectors will start to display unstable ID numbers below 9 inches, if not even shallower. That's when you ditch the numbers and detect just by the tones, as they are always more accurate. Either way, if you are managing to pick up targets below 9 inches, then they will most likely be of interest to you - not many aluminium cans or modern junk sitting around at that depth.

If you haven't already done so, can I also suggest purchasing Andy Sabisch's "The Deus Handbook", I think you will find it will be a valuable resource, allowing you to get the best out of your detector. :)

http://www.metaldetectingworld.com/xp_deus_settings_explained.shtml

oh sorry goldpick i only made a few posts to reach multiple people who dont end up reading this post .yeh i think i am expecting to much from silencer .yeh ive heard that alot from other detectorists to learn to decipher the sounds rather than relying on the numbers after having the ctx and seeing how bad the numbers jumped around on that im realising now that sound is everything and numbers can be wrong .

i am using 12khz atm and just coin hunting maybe the first 4 inches of ground so i usually use a sensitivity of 70-75 on the deus but i want to start hunting for deeper targets as well as i feel like im probably missing alot .i have got andy sabischs book but i found alot of the programs are more designed for american coin hunting but maybe i should just try them and see what happens i have been trying the (HOT) program atm just to try learn the full tones rather than relying on 2-4 tones .

hey gold pick how do you go about digging deep targets in parks or other places like that do you ever get in trouble or ?.thx for the advice and thx for the link :).

blakegarv said:
oh sorry goldpick i only made a few posts to reach multiple people who dont end up reading this post .yeh i think i am expecting to much from silencer .yeh ive heard that alot from other detectorists to learn to decipher the sounds rather than relying on the numbers after having the ctx and seeing how bad the numbers jumped around on that im realising now that sound is everything and numbers can be wrong .

i am using 12khz atm and just coin hunting maybe the first 4 inches of ground so i usually use a sensitivity of 70-75 on the deus but i want to start hunting for deeper targets as well as i feel like im probably missing alot .i have got andy sabischs book but i found alot of the programs are more designed for american coin hunting but maybe i should just try them and see what happens i have been trying the (HOT) program atm just to try learn the full tones rather than relying on 2-4 tones .

hey gold pick how do you go about digging deep targets in parks or other places like that do you ever get in trouble or ?.thx for the advice and thx for the link :).

Personally I try to avoid pristine well manicured turf areas, and try to limit myself to the more rougher looking spots that aren't as well maintained. If you cut a 3/4 plug deep enough, you will avoid cutting the grass roots, and still keep some of the runners attached to the surrounding grass. Cut the plug too shallow or at a too shallower angle, and you will end up cutting through all the roots and just be left with a flap of grass with little or no soil attached. This will leave dead spots all over the place, especially if the ground is dry.

If the plug is done properly, you should not be able to tell someone had been there. Also carry a small towel to put excess dirt on, as dark soil lying around the plug is a dead giveaway that someone had been active in the area.

If you can get away with cutting just a slot in the ground to access the coin, this is a less invasive way of extracting a target (see Ramjet's you tube clips). Though sometimes this isn't feasible on very deep targets, and you will most likely end up making more of a mess than cutting a decent 3/4 :) plug in the first place. The screwdriver method is fine for shallower spendables, but leaves older coins open to scratches from the screwdriver head. :)

so would you recommend just cutting 3 sides of the grass so 1 side is still attatched to promote further grown or so the grass isnt fully detatched ?.

hey guys im new to xp deus just wondering what you guys use for shallow coin hunting and deep coin hunting ?.im posting this post just to hit as many people as i can on the matter as i feel like books can only tell you so much and you guys are all experienced metal detectorists with most likely alot of hrs under your belts .if you wanna be the best at something you have to learn from the best or learn from people better than yourself smile.

Keep the khz range around the 12.

The higher frequency the more sensitive to small
Bits of foil, gold etc but you may lose some depth
and visa versa.

For large silver coins stay on the 12 khz frequency
or drop down one frequency setting.

Use a very low setting on the reactivity setting
Range as well.

And Keep the discrimination low. The advantage you
have With the Deus is that you can hear the iron.

Test these settings and you should see changes one
way or another.

Hope this helps.

thx heaps wolf ill try that .do you have a youtube channel at all ?. i used to have a ctx but im absolutly loving the customizability of the deus such a fun little detector .

Just wondering if anyone has used the 11"coil on their Deus,thinking of buying one. Some good reports on it saying it will get another 3" of depth compared to the 9" coil..

Cheers Fox

Latest posts