Wooden Dry washer

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
trashmagnet said:
good stuff mate that's great.... no more looking for water now
regards
exactly.... ive got so many remote places with old dry creeks that i want to work ..... making my head spin.. you were spot on too mate about getting material all over the box before it starts working :)

Still keen to see your 151 in action

G0lddigg@ said:
Still keen to see your 151 in action

yeah mate no worry's... I've never been to this spot but I'm sure we'll find something to blow some air thru.
catch ya there.
regards tm

took the drywasher out for her maiden run i figured id go real deep in the bush so as not to piss any campers off in Creswick.

After hitting some really big unusual stones on a road I realised it must have been the creek at some point so scratched around in the bush and sure enough bloody pits everywhere and ironstone on the surface.
It took a bit of digging with the pick to brake up the larger stones on top but once i got down there was plenty of fine dust to run through, note to self *** build a dust screen to save my eyes :)

this is when i finished up dug for 20 minutes
1395276857_20140320_101857.jpg

panning out the cons - nice leadshot :)
1395276972_20140320_103549.jpg

and the victory dance :)
1395277031_20140320_103637.jpg

After burning the gold and close examination i'm very happy with my find and I will definitely be back to this spot :)
1395277097_20140320_113245.jpg

thanks everyone who helped out with advice in the build.... :lol:

Gee Goldigga, nice work, is there a style of prospecting equipment you haven't made yourself? Nice Job as always!!

V_8 said:
Gee Goldigga, nice work, is there a style of prospecting equipment you haven't made yourself? Nice Job as always!!
lol thanks mate yeh i haven't made a detector :) dont plan on it either....

I hear that you can get a DIY detecting kit....hehehe, bust out the soldering iron!!

Diggerdude said:
G0lddigg@ said:
apparently this is what they use over the us for the cheap blower.... found on at mitre 10 $400
http://cp.inkrefuge.com/images\posts/resize to 500(1)_large.jpg
http://shop.mitre10.com.au/echo-power-blower-25-4cc-pb255es.html

I use the honda 4 stroke on mine, but have seen a mate using on of these from bunnings. Cheap and works well enough.
http://www.bunnings.com.au/ryobi-26cc-2-stroke-petrol-blower-vac_p3380402

DD

turns out the blower i bought is a ripper, 30cc 420cfm 321km/h happy with the buy now just need ot get some decent hose

Diggerdude said:
Nightjar said:
G0lddigg@ said:
hey mate the air is distributed around the box by the counterbalance wjat yoir explaining kind of sounds like the same thing....might have to draw a picture

No, your set up the air is distributed by a constant fan, meaning constant airflow, you need a pulsed airflow so it "puffs" through your riffle box screen. Your counter balance just shakes the whole machine, in a nutshell, useless.

Don't know wher you get this idea.

Mine is the same as the one goldigga has built and works great.

DD

Good luck with what ever works for you.
However, is this set up collecting the "mustard gold?"

Cheers
Peter

Nightjar said:
G0lddigg@ said:
apparently this is what they use over the us for the cheap blower.... found on at mitre 10 $400
http://cp.inkrefuge.com/images\posts/resize to 500(1)_large.jpg
http://shop.mitre10.com.au/echo-power-blower-25-4cc-pb255es.html

Actually this set up isn't used as a blower it is a vacuum used for crevicing.

that's what they use in the us nightjar, they crevice with it and then hook it up to there washer just like the keene 141.
regards

Nightjar said:
Diggerdude said:
Nightjar said:
G0lddigg@ said:
hey mate the air is distributed around the box by the counterbalance wjat yoir explaining kind of sounds like the same thing....might have to draw a picture

No, your set up the air is distributed by a constant fan, meaning constant airflow, you need a pulsed airflow so it "puffs" through your riffle box screen. Your counter balance just shakes the whole machine, in a nutshell, useless.

Don't know wher you get this idea.

Mine is the same as the one goldigga has built and works great.

DD

Cheers
Peter
Seems to work pretty well so far. Gt about 20 pieces of gold for 20 minutes digging. Im happy with it and it fits in my truck.

Nightjar said:

Cheers
Peter

Hi Peter ,

Like to hear your thoughts about the extra effort required to score tiny size gold , my feelings are its the weight one can get from processing more material that will decide the $ dollars made .

I'm not talking about prospecting in areas that very fine gold is the norm .

Cheers
Outback :)

Morning Outback,
Not sure what you mean, your comments seem to contradict one another?
There is no extra effort to collect fine gold, it is a part of the process if your machine is processing and set up correctly.
The feed needs to be super dry and rotated/separated continuously as it moves down the riffle box.
This is why I emphasised the "puffing" air movement.
With a continuous steady flow of air the fines WILL move down the screen but are not being adgitated to separate the fine gold.

Also don't forget the "rinse aid" when sluicing/panning the fines.
One area I went too with the dryblower, in two weeks I managed to bring home 5 1/2ozs of VERY fine gold, none of it was bigger than a pin head.

Cheers
Peter

HI Peter I know what your saying about separating the fines i've already secured a Petrol driven cement mixer that i plan on running with the internal splines removed and a some canon balls to roll around and smash material apart. Cant fit everything in a small unit unfortunately but Ive made some additional mods this morning to assist a bit. I'm incorporating a finer screen inside the hopper to additionally scrub material as well as adding a larger screen on top of the existing. Mesh size goes from 10mm down to 5mm then inside onto 2mm expanded hopefully this will aid in recovery. I'll put up some pics when shes finished.

Hopefully this is the last update for this build, don't want to bore people but if anyone is planning on building something similar I think its better to know as much as possible.

I've added an additional 2mm expanded steel screen inside the hopper which is elevated by 2 inches allowing lighter material to be stubbed a little better, onto of that the original screen mesh 5mm roughly it was a bit soft and bent under the load of the rocks i was throwing at it, and on top of that the 10mm expanded steel. (hope it isn't too big for the riffles)

I've adjusted the legs for a little more angle on the hopper by drilling an additional hole, easily changed back, I built a new mount for the counterbalance as ive added a wheel nut to it for extra weight forward and needed the clearance.

I picked up a 900 mm long by 76mm turbo tube $20 super cheap auto (would have got this in the first place accept they quoted me $46 on the phone 2 weeks back....) this fits really well straight onto the blower.

After researching the blower i bought I found out it is actually right up there in the top of the performers and in fact it put out more air pressure than any other blower i can find. It obviously wasn't up to scratch so i pulled it down, rewired it, cleaned and re-torqued the gaskets, removed/ replaced the fuel line which was old and shrunken also modified the fuel pickup because they are not designed to be used while sitting flat on the ground. the last thing was the air filter which was massively blocked.
all i can say is this thing pumps now what a difference, I was blowing quarts off my driveway the size of a 50c piece, the catch box now really shakes around like a madman and i cant wait to get out and really give her a good test. Of course its raining......

1395376087_20140321_134358.jpg
1395376095_20140321_135123.jpg
1395376102_20140321_151609.jpg
1395376109_20140321_151550.jpg
1395376116_20140321_151557.jpg

Latest posts