Whites TDI - Dead or Alive?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We've all got our Achilles's Heel. Mine's my big mouth.

Having spoken to Dean on a number of occasions I'm found his time worthwhile. And he always had time to tell me stuff.

Now that I've had a couple of Jamisons the world isn't nearly as black and white as I too often believe it is. Much to my detriment.

As to the GSA price rise...that's where it's at. And it's really none of my business. I can either take it or leave it. If I want a new Oz Pro I'll just have to pony-up the 3300.

Dean sent me two other emails and gave me a bit more on the complexities of trading with overseas outfits.

Anyway, guys, it's important to clarify I don't hold any bad feeling towards Dean; he simply has to do what he has to do. How he runs his business is really none of my business. Simple as that.

Lol. I can't help myself Ridge because you refuse to concede.
Your incorrect with your mathematics. Your references to GS being liars and cheaters by extension is a down right scoundrel act. I've been in to GS once but hey if your going to attack these guys by golly I will defend them.

Take a deep breath and concentrate. To land this on the shore today would be $2500 aud ($1799 usd x 1.3 ) minimum for the unit with no battery. Add transport cost (pick a figure but whites won't send it for free)
Then add import duty = 2500+ 250 = 2750.
Then cost of battery plus gst.
Then put battery in machine and add gst. If the unit was 3000 at this point plus gst your at $3300.
Add to this the time to sell and advise the seller how it works etc. Add the time to also point the bloke to some ground he can work.
Fill paperwork in so the state (vic) gets its cut of gst.

You see mate it's pretty skinny actually I don't really see any "gouging" going on. But put your feet up hit the keyboard and count yourself lucky you aren't selling it.

Besides as you rightly point out you do a great service to many a bloke, no need to go unravel it all over a price increase a seller probably doesn't have a lot of control over.

lewy said:
davent of topic,but i have a tdi and in Darwin if you want to compare,send me a pm,cheers

Good onya mate! Will take you up on that pm on the way.

The question of whether the TDI Pro will be discontinued is simple. Yes, it will be discontinued if new dramatic updates are not added. Think about it, all models become obsolete by new designs and that will happen to the TDI. The original TDI model is already discontinued, so only the Pro exists now.

Just when the Pro will be discontinued will most likely be after a new and, hopefully, more versatile, replacement is in production. My guess is this means it will be quite some time away like maybe 1 1/2 to 2 years from now.

In the mean time there are a few people like many of you who want to see the TDI be improved and maintained. I suspect if this group is successful with new ideas, such an idea may happen. How do I know this??? Simple, I was asked to join. I declined. I will not sign any confidentiality agreement that can hold me liable for trying to improve an outdated design. That would be totally stupid on my part. As old as the TDI design is, the schematic is not that valuable or that much of a secret. So, why set myself up to be potentially sued.

BTW, for those of you who want to know how the TDI is basically designed, you can go to the geotech1 forum and search for GS5. A hand drawn schematic is posted there that is quite close to the TDI schematic. It is close enough to get an idea of how it works.

Do I have ideas to improve or add to the TDI to make it more versatile? Of course. For example there is already a couple of designs to increase the gain quite dramatically that would improve the depth considerably on the TDI if used for beach hunting. Now, a nugget hunter my be dismayed with this idea but keep in mind if you can increase the gain and increase the depth with some mods, then can such improvements be used on a gold machine? Of course it can. Improve some coil designs, add a second filter, and a few more tricks and use a DD type coil with the GB off. Being able to operate with the GB off can easily add 30% to 50% more depth on certain size objects. Make a few more mods to existing design and gain other improvements. And, so the list goes on.

In short, there are ways to improve the TDI series and make the detector appear new again.

Reg

Reg said:
The question of whether the TDI Pro will be discontinued is simple. Yes, it will be discontinued if new dramatic updates are not added. Think about it, all models become obsolete by new designs and that will happen to the TDI. The original TDI model is already discontinued, so only the Pro exists now.

Just when the Pro will be discontinued will most likely be after a new and, hopefully, more versatile, replacement is in production. My guess is this means it will be quite some time away like maybe 1 1/2 to 2 years from now.

In the mean time there are a few people like many of you who want to see the TDI be improved and maintained. I suspect if this group is successful with new ideas, such an idea may happen. How do I know this??? Simple, I was asked to join. I declined. I will not sign any confidentiality agreement that can hold me liable for trying to improve an outdated design. That would be totally stupid on my part. As old as the TDI design is, the schematic is not that valuable or that much of a secret. So, why set myself up to be potentially sued.

BTW, for those of you who want to know how the TDI is basically designed, you can go to the geotech1 forum and search for GS5. A hand drawn schematic is posted there that is quite close to the TDI schematic. It is close enough to get an idea of how it works.

Do I have ideas to improve or add to the TDI to make it more versatile? Of course. For example there is already a couple of designs to increase the gain quite dramatically that would improve the depth considerably on the TDI if used for beach hunting. Now, a nugget hunter my be dismayed with this idea but keep in mind if you can increase the gain and increase the depth with some mods, then can such improvements be used on a gold machine? Of course it can. Improve some coil designs, add a second filter, and a few more tricks and use a DD type coil with the GB off. Being able to operate with the GB off can easily add 30% to 50% more depth on certain size objects. Make a few more mods to existing design and gain other improvements. And, so the list goes on.

In short, there are ways to improve the TDI series and make the detector appear new again.

Reg

Thanks Reg and you are spot on about the Depth thing and the GB, If a person is able to run the TDI pro with the GB OFF I have found that I could get a Hugh depth Advantage using the GB off setting and Tuning the frequency correctly and it is way more than people expect, As you have pointed out many times the hidden benefits of the frequency control and how to set it up.

Good to see you Reg,,

john

davent said:
Is it possible to run the tdi with gb off at the moment?

Yes and it really Boosts the Depth, Huge difference, The TDI has a bit more depth than the ATX on the beach and in any area that you can use a VLF Then you should turn the GB off because you will dig some extremely deep holes with the standard coil by it's self, not many folks know what depths that the TDI's can reach but I assure you, if you find a deep one you will sleep well that Night.

John

Found a TDI oz pro, comes with a longreach coil as well, will be here by the end of next week.
Rain season not far awt, how do they perform on wet ground, or should I just wait till next dry. I have place in mind, sure its never had any detectors exept mine over it before. Ignored about 50 signals that were reading above 60% iron on my mxt. Then on the way home, dug a 1.5 gm from a similar signal!

The wet ground should actually help you achieve greater depth although you may find the detector to have more noise/chatter depending on mineralisation and settings.
I wouldn't let the wet ground stop you from going, a lot of people actually head out detecting after a good rain.

davent said:
Found a TDI oz pro, comes with a longreach coil as well, will be here by the end of next week.
Rain season not far awt, how do they perform on wet ground, or should I just wait till next dry. I have place in mind, sure its never had any detectors exept mine over it before. Ignored about 50 signals that were reading above 60% iron on my mxt. Then on the way home, dug a 1.5 gm from a similar signal!

Should be alright Dave, wet clay can mess with any machine because of how dense it is but it should not be a problem, personally I would let the top dry off anyway, with a VLF you always seem to get the best depth a day after the rain and the same after a storm because the storms seem to charge the ground and boost the signal depth, until you get use to it I would leave the wet ground alone, but they handle the wet Beaches well so I don't see any real problems, if you do have issues just lower the gain a little and life will be good,

Congrats and good luck.

John

Lightning ionises the rain......we get thunder storms daily now untill march/april

Lol, its not funny, off road driving can mean leaving your car where it is for 3 months or so sometimes.....
as for digging in it, some digging is so easy, its great, but others, well you cant get a full shovel full, I use a small pick thing from bunnings and an old army entrenching tool. I reckon ive 2 or 3 weekends left. Lucky I I get a lot of time off in my job, 12hr shifts.

davent said:
Lol, its not funny, off road driving can mean leaving your car where it is for 3 months or so sometimes.....
as for digging in it, some digging is so easy, its great, but others, well you cant get a full shovel full, I use a small pick thing from bunnings and an old army entrenching tool. I reckon ive 2 or 3 weekends left. Lucky I I get a lot of time off in my job, 12hr shifts.

A Good Dollop of Nitro works wonders but you need a Keen eye and a Baseball glove to catch the Nugget as it Zips past ya Lugholes at warp speed, Lol :eek: :eek: :D :D :D

davent said:

Dave you should always dig targets that read up to 80%+ on the Iron reading, if you take off a couple of inches and it gets lower you should dig it and if it goes up leave it be, Because some nuggets get Iron staining on them and you might be leaving Gold in the Ground.

John

Latest posts