Whites TDI - Dead or Alive?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bloody big area the pine creek orogen! Bigger tha some european countries!

Davent,

There is no specific size of gold that is always a high tone or a low tone. Now, with that said, it helps to know the gold in the area you will be hunting. Very pure gold that is solid has a tendency of being a high tone if it is 1/4 oz or less in size and larger gold is a low tone.

Hunt another area where the gold is less pure and has more silver, copper or both and the gold will change along with the amount of impurity. Here in the US, I have found gold well over a half oz in size or even 3 pieces each 1/2 oz and when placed together will still give a high tone and this gold was found within 3 to 5 miles from a location where similar size gold would generate a low tone..

Very coarse rough gold has a tendency to become a high tone even when quite large.

Generally, most gold found, especially here in the US, is small and will ring out as high tone.

Keep in mind, the above info generally refers to hunting with the detector properly ground balanced. Alter the ground balance and some objects including some gold will change tones.

So, to be honest, it helps to be able to test different sizes of gold that came from the area you are hunting. Change locations and it is best to check gold from that area rather than assume all will be the same.

Finally, hunt the way you have the most confidence in. Also, when possible, practice with gold from the area you plan on hunting.

Reg

Just back from a swing, and the MXT is without doubt, the best beer can finder you could imagine!
After about 2 hours in really hot and humid conditions, I got a loud zing, 10%Iron! Dug down to find a fugget.....VB, and an old one.
Ive got the tuning of the MXT down pat now, I used prospecting mode, and used the test nugget I have, its from a different area, but its 1.5 gms. I had it in a plastic bottle and buried it at different depths to see how it sounds, I actually got iron growl from it twice! That surprised me.
Anyway after about 3.5 hours, I found a 3 or 4 more beer cans, and I knew the last 2 were beer cans, even if one of them was buried in the side of a mullock heap.....bast ards!

Keep at it Dave - one will be a nugget with your name on it sooner or later.

I actually got iron growl from it twice! That surprised me.

I got my GMT to "grunt" on a prickly bit of gold I had. Shows even very good discrimination can be fooled & any lineball signals need to be investigated!

davent said:
Just back from a swing, and the MXT is without doubt, the best beer can finder you could imagine!
After about 2 hours in really hot and humid conditions, I got a loud zing, 10%Iron! Dug down to find a fugget.....VB, and an old one.
Ive got the tuning of the MXT down pat now, I used prospecting mode, and used the test nugget I have, its from a different area, but its 1.5 gms. I had it in a plastic bottle and buried it at different depths to see how it sounds, I actually got iron growl from it twice! That surprised me.
Anyway after about 3.5 hours, I found a 3 or 4 more beer cans, and I knew the last 2 were beer cans, even if one of them was buried in the side of a mullock heap.....bast ards!

How deep did you place the Nugget and how deep were your beer cans

davent said:
Ok, arrived today. Razor back coil is very light. Lots of knobs and dials, reading the manuel atm, well written in dumby language!

What RB coil did you get with it. When I changed the Whites 12" mono to the RB 7.5x12 I found it to feel slightly lighter, not sure on the weight of either coil but there was a small difference I think.

Ive got an oval longreach, 10x8 I think, its much lighter.
Went out in my yard, and found it almost impossible to balance. Real bad warbaling sounds that I couldnt make go away.
Then Lewy came over with his. He tuned his almost straight away, but he couldnt fix mine....starting to get that ....I just bought someone elses problems....feeling. I changed coils, no joy with that either, in fact it was worse, that thing wouldnt pick up a 1.5grm nugget on the surface!
put the long reach on again, played with the frequency, then tried to balance again. Turned the gain down, and eventually , got it balanced, must have not plugged in the coil prperly or something, because the warbaling went away.
There was a thunder storm in the distance, although it was a long way away....
work for next 3 days, then, ill go bush somewhere with no trash or EMI.

RR, the nugget was in a clear plastic test tube sized bottle, about 1 inch below the surface.
The 1st beer can was pretty deep, about 40cm or more, whats that 16 to 18 inches?
Thought I, d found a huge nugget after about 5 minutes digging!

davent said:
RR, the nugget was in a clear plastic test tube sized bottle, about 1 inch below the surface.
The 1st beer can was pretty deep, about 40cm or more, whats that 16 to 18 inches?
Thought I, d found a huge nugget after about 5 minutes digging!

Cool mate, Glad to see your getting it sorted, ya gotta keep them leads nice and tight,

john

Might be worth trying the coil on another detector to see if its alright.
Haven't seen or heard of a 10x8 Longreach, if thats the correct size it might be an older model maybe, or could be the 6x10.

Probably 6 x 10 mate, couldnt see numbers on it anywhere, its an oval shape.

Yeah most likely is the 6x10 then. Great coil on the small stuff from what I'm told. Will be the next coil I get when I can, just not sure if I should get a folded or normal mono. The 7.5x12 I have is folded but then something for more depth would be alright too.

Will post some details of how a 1st time user goes with this thing, I have a few days off from tuesday, so weather permitting, will go for a swing with it wed or thurs, and will go to known, yet flogged gold country, all ive found there so far with vlf is railway spikes, star pickets, wire, 44 gal drums, pipes, huge ball bearings, other bits of junk like washers, nails etc.....

Good luck with it, will be good to see what you think. I'd like a Pro Oz myself but will have to get this SPP finding a few nuggets first to pay for one.haha

I advise everyone not to buy from GSA. GSA is a money grabbing store that uses the popularity of the TDI PRO OZ to jack up its prices by over $500 overnight. I ordered a TDI pro oz from GSA few weeks back at the original price of $2700 but was shocked when Dean suddenly raised it to 3300 without informing me or customers in advance. I did not buy from him of course. Its definitely much cheaper to buy the TDI PRO from USA, and then buy a separate OZ coil, as that will save you a few hundreds. Besides, i noticed that most of GSA items are priced higher than other stores both locally and internationally. So sad for a monopoly to abuse its powers. :|

Flameberg said:
I advise everyone not to buy from GSA. GSA is a money grabbing store that uses the popularity of the TDI PRO OZ to jack up its prices by over $500 overnight. I ordered a TDI pro oz from GSA few weeks back at the original price of $2700 but was shocked when Dean suddenly raised it to 3300 without informing me or customers in advance. I did not buy from him of course. Its definitely much cheaper to buy the TDI PRO from USA, and then buy a separate OZ coil, as that will save you a few hundreds. Besides, i noticed that most of GSA items are priced higher than other stores both locally and internationally. So sad for a monopoly to abuse its powers. :|

Sorry to hear that they did that to you, By rights if you had agreed a price then they should stick with it, and Changing the Coil is something we all do anyway so whether you had got one from GSA or overseas you would of had to do that Anyway So if you do import One your self You are Not Loosing out or facing more expense So you Win Either Way and They are a Very Good Machine,

I Paid about $2505.00 AUD for mine 2 months ago but I Bought mine through Whites UK via my Local Dealer and it is The First one that Whites UK has bought in to the Country, So you could Save up to $795.00 AUD if you do this right which would pay for a few extra Coils, so stick with it and I hope it all works out for you, Good Luck.

john

So is it only the coils that are the difference between the TDI Pro & TDI Pro Oz or is there something in the electronics of the machine as well.

ozziii said:
So is it only the coils that are the difference between the TDI Pro & TDI Pro Oz or is there something in the electronics of the machine as well.

I heard its just the coil thats different. Same machine otherwise :)

Latest posts