Whites SPP Upgrading Batteries?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ProspectorPete said:
The 14+ volts for 9 hours was from the Energizer Li-Ion AA's, 1 of the batteries died and the other 7 are sitting at 1.53v so using them in household items. I bought the RnB pack for the SL thinking it was going to give me somewhere near 14v but it charges to 12.7v max and I haven't been out detecting since using the AA's, only tried the RnB in both machines in the back yard to hear the signal strength response.
When I saw the post about the 14+ volt pack pop up yesterday I thought I'd jump on it too as I is what I was looking for originally for the SL, I'm happy running the MXT on good AA's but having the RnB there is even better.

Sorry about any confusion as I've been trying and chasing different batteries when I've gone out and at home. So hopefully now if I can get hold of one 14+volt Li-Ion recharge pack then all my battery issues will be solved.

Oh right I see now, That Ebay link only posts to the US so I might gat a Mate to order a couple and then ship them over if they are any good

How did the RnB pack do in the SL??

Baring in mind that I did that 9 AA conversion, If I put 9 Duracells in it that should give a voltage of 15 volts +/- and with the MXT's and GMT's should give you between 60 to 70 Hours and the voltage per battery is about 1.67.

Ridge Runner said:
How did the RnB pack do in the SL??
I've only used it in the backyard for 10 mins and haven't been out detecting for a few weeks, hopefully should get to try it out in the next couple of weeks.

mbasko said:
Did you ask him? I've got stuff from sellers that didn't have Australia listed on their shipping to list?
Also might be worth contacting some custom battery places locally & seeing if they can offer something suitable?
http://www.everybattery.com.au/custom_and_repack.php
Just got a reply from the seller:

"Only way to make it cost effective would be to get an order up for 10 units, then the shipping would offset. Its just way to expensive to ship to you. And there is the issue of flying li-ion batteries now. Reid"

Now I'll head down the Every Battery path and see what they can do, fingers crossed.

Anyone tried the LiFePO4 battery packs, (lithium ferrite), I use them for the radio gear with my 1/8 scale radio controlled nitro buggy, I use the 2s (2 cell, 3.3v per cell) 6.6v pack for the buggy & in the controller & use a 4s pack for the starter box to start the nitro engine. The 4s pack puts out 13.2v, think its a little more when fully charged.
There is also the LiPo (lithium poly) packs, 4s is 14.4v, (3.7 per cell), more power than LiFePO4 packs but not as stable & needing special care when charging, dis-charging & while in use, they can catch fire if not careful.
Just hadn't seen them mentioned in the thread so thought I'd post something about them.

I used lipo batteries on my gp extreme when I had one ,it was a 8000 bat at 12v and used a coiltek 12v to 6.7 regulator I used that system for about 18 month found it to be a good system, could detected all day tried a 5.6 bat but could only get 5 1/2 hours regards john :)

Forget the above. Read the review by KarlS in the same thread, 1 .5 hours run time Pfffttt that is terrible.
I'll stick with bulk buying AA disposables.

Something came out on a US forum about using Li Ion batteries in the SPP or SL and that is, use common sense. Remember, the red LED low battery indicator is designed to indicate NiMh or Alkaline batteries are low and don't indicate properly when Li Ion batteries are used.

So, in simple terms, do not rely on the low battery indicator when using non factory type batteries.

When using Li Ion battery types such as the RNB 3 cell system or the Reid 4 cell system, keep in mind that you shouldn't run the batteries down below 3V per cell or 9V on the RNB system or 12V on the Reid system. Actually, both systems have a form of shut down to protect the batteries from failure. Think of it as a protection for dummies.

In simple terms, once a Li Ion battery voltage goes below 3.2V the battery is basically run down and should be changed before this happens. If a single cell goes below 2.5V, it is very possible the pack will fail and not work again. Absolutely do not try to use Li Ion type batteries like NiMh or Nicad types where you run them down a few times to get them working right. Li Ion types are not designed for this type of use.

I strongly recommend people read the Cadex information on Li Ion batteries on their Battery University site.

Reg

Gold Diver said:
Forget the above. Read the review by KarlS in the same thread, 1 .5 hours run time Pfffttt that is terrible.
I'll stick with bulk buying AA disposables.

Funny enough, those batteries work pretty good in Pentax camera and Exterra 705 (over 20 hours of run time). But if you use them in SPP they get hot and don't last.
It may be that they don't like constant high current discharge.
Karl

So for the Longer Run Time NiMh 2600s to 2900 as still the best option for reliable power supplies where I am getting 6 hours 37 minutes from the 2650s, so 2 packs of them will give you 13 hours, So if you change them at 4 hours then that's should suit most people or do the 9 battery conversion I Did which give you over 13 volts and it is Safe and you can buy standard batteries from of the shelf, All These Other Methods have some kind of Issue and I my way is a lot cheaper too.

john

The 2650's, are they the smaller half size version of the 18650's, I use the 18650"s in my Solarforce torch, was wondering how they would go if they could be made into a pack to suit the SPP, maybe 4 of them at 14.4v would work alright.

ozziii said:
The 2650's, are they the smaller half size version of the 18650's, I use the 18650"s in my Solarforce torch, was wondering how they would go if they could be made into a pack to suit the SPP, maybe 4 of them at 14.4v would work alright.

The 2650s are AA's and I did a Mod so I could use the Standard Battery Pack so I can either Boost the Voltage to Over 13 Volts or run it with 8 2650s, But you might want to try and Contact Phase Tech because he Has Some 2900s and they should get you about 7.5 to 8 Hours,

Messing with those LiOn Batteries costs a lot more and if you have a Cell Die your Stuffed, But By Using PT's Batteries you can fix it your self just by Changing A Battery that cost a couple of bucks, In The Bush you need reliability and Another thing LiOn Batteries Don't Like Heat So The Bush would not be the Perfect Place For Them, ok,

john

Thanks for that info John, I'm not to savvy when it comes to batteries & voltages etc, but would be good to have something that lasted much longer just incase I go away for a weekend & can't charge anything. Lots of spare energizer lithiums might be worth stocking up on but would also like something that makes the SPP run at peak performance if it makes a difference.

Latest posts