Whites SPP Upgrading Batteries?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I could post overseas but postage would probably make it more economical to source them local.

ProspectorPete said:
PhaseTech said:
OzzieAu said:
RidgeRunner,
I got some 2900's from PhaseTech (sponsor) branded Accupower, they seem to go the distance.
Cheers.

Thanks mate. Here's a link if anyone is interested: http://phasetechnical.com.au/product/accupower-aa-nimh-2900mah-free-postage/
Am I missing something here?
These are 1.2v so x8 = 9.6v in your detector, I thought we were hoping to achieve around the 14v for more punch/depth?
Is higher mAh more important than v?

Pete, when you charge nimh batteries they can hold up to 1.47 volts but the Norm is about 1.45 which give you up to 11,7 volts, The Higher mah is what gives you the longer run time so Nenads 2900s should give you about 7.5 to 8 hours run time, which means you get about a day out of them, which is nearly twice the normal pack does,

john

Ridge Runner said:
ProspectorPete said:
PhaseTech said:
OzzieAu said:
RidgeRunner,
I got some 2900's from PhaseTech (sponsor) branded Accupower, they seem to go the distance.
Cheers.

Thanks mate. Here's a link if anyone is interested: http://phasetechnical.com.au/product/accupower-aa-nimh-2900mah-free-postage/
These are 1.2v so x8 = 9.6v in your detector, I thought we were hoping to achieve around the 14v for more punch/depth?

Pete, when you charge nimh batteries they can hold up to 1.47 volts but the Norm is about 1.45 which give you up to 11,7 volts, The Higher mah is what gives you the longer run time so Nenads 2900s should give you about 7.5 to 8 hours run time, which means you get about a day out of them, which is nearly twice the normal pack does,

john

This is not correct. 1.2 Volts is a nominal voltage of NiMh battery and what you are measuring is unloaded voltage, that will fall to 1.2 Volts once the battery is connected to rated load.
Karl

KarlS said:
Ridge Runner said:
ProspectorPete said:
PhaseTech said:
OzzieAu said:
RidgeRunner,
Cheers.

john

This is not correct. 1.2 Volts is a nominal voltage of NiMh battery and what you are measuring is unloaded voltage, that will fall to 1.2 Volts once the battery is connected to rated load.
Karl

Well that's the same with any Battery no matter what it is In, the point it they still measure 11.7+ Volts which on average equals 1.463 Volts per Battery when I fit them into the Holder and yes they will drop when they are applied to a live circuit, There is not a battery made that wont do that No matter how small the power Drain.

And Yes My Multi-Meter Is Accurate and it is The Top of the Range and it did Cost A Fortune, And It Has Been Calibrated By FLUKE:-

I'm going detecting on Sat & Sunday and have been thinking about my battery situation. Last Night I bit the bullet and bought the RnB HP-3100 Lithium-ion pack through Ebay for the TDI SL.
Today I was a KMart and walked past their battery section and they had Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA 1.5v twin packs for $10, decided the $40 would be worth it after the rain we've had, hoping to achieve maximum depth to better my chances of finding my first nugget detecting.

Did some quick checks with the multimeter and was surprised by the results as I had planned to use the NiMH 2200mah pack and have the lithium pack as backup.

Results were as follows:

Standard AA's which were new with the machine = 11.79 v (will use it in the MXT, this will be just a backup detector)

Whites NiMH recharch pack 2200mah = 11.67 v fresh off the charger (will use as backup for TDI SL)

Varta Rechargable 2100mah pack = 10.78 v after being charged the other day (will probably throw them in the bin)

Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA 1.5 v = 14.79 straight out the pack (will use in the TDI SL and monitor over the weekend with multimeter)

After seeing the 14.79 v I'm really glad I bought them.
$40 for gained performance on wet ground in search of my first gold with detector = piece of mind that if I don't find gold I can't blame the lack of battery performance, will be interesting to see how long they'll last, hopefully get me through this weekend until the RnB pack arrives.

ProspectorPete said:
I'm going detecting on Sat & Sunday and have been thinking about my battery situation. Last Night I bit the bullet and bought the RnB HP-3100 Lithium-ion pack through Ebay for the TDI SL.
Today I was a KMart and walked past their battery section and they had Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA 1.5v twin packs for $10, decided the $40 would be worth it after the rain we've had, hoping to achieve maximum depth to better my chances of finding my first nugget detecting.

Did some quick checks with the multimeter and was surprised by the results as I had planned to use the NiMH 2200mah pack and have the lithium pack as backup.

Results were as follows:

Standard AA's which were new with the machine = 11.79 v (will use it in the MXT, this will be just a backup detector)

Whites NiMH recharch pack 2200mah = 11.67 v fresh off the charger (will use as backup for TDI SL)

Varta Rechargable 2100mah pack = 10.78 v after being charged the other day (will probably throw them in the bin)

Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA 1.5 v = 14.79 straight out the pack (will use in the TDI SL and monitor over the weekend with multimeter)

After seeing the 14.79 v I'm really glad I bought them.
$40 for gained performance on wet ground in search of my first gold with detector = piece of mind that if I don't find gold I can't blame the lack of battery performance, will be interesting to see how long they'll last, hopefully get me through this weekend until the RnB pack arrives.

Yeah Pete, Those are the critters I told you about, It might eat them in a day, But when you need that Power On A 10ozt Nugget I guess you will be over the Moon,

14.79 that's about 1.8487 per Battery, Sounds Like Heaven To Me,

Good Luck Mate, let see them Nuggets when you bring em Home,

John

Hey RR, if I get a good day out of them above 12v I'll be happy.
Going to pop back to Kmart and grab another 8 today, if I find targets at a greater depth tomorrow then I'll pop a new set in for Sunday.
I just want to give myself the best chance of finding that first nug this weekend.

ProspectorPete said:
Hey RR, if I get a good day out of them above 12v I'll be happy.
Going to pop back to Kmart and grab another 8 today, if I find targets at a greater depth tomorrow then I'll pop a new set in for Sunday.
I just want to give myself the best chance of finding that first nug this weekend.

Sounds Like A Plan Pete, Your a Man On A Mission,

I got lots of new Toys Coming, So Im going to be heading out soon Too,

Good Luck Pete, Don't forget Pictures;lol

John

You can get packs of 4 on ebay for $18, but that's still quite an expensive exercise for non-rechargeable batteries.

When I was beach detecting nearly 4 days a week, I modified my Minelab Sovereign to run off an external 12v gel cell. Made the unit lighter and I could run it for 4 days :)

Hi and thanks Nenad, I'm just running them for this weekend until my rechargeable pack arrives so although an expensive weekend hopefully the extra cost will make a few inches difference with a small nugget as reward........hopefully.

Okay no worries. Still would be interesting to compare the response on 2 packs of different voltage. If the higher voltage has a clear advantage then it would be possible to squeeze a bit more performance out of them

Latest posts