Whites SPP Upgrading Batteries?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No gold found but detected for about 7 hours on Saturday and the voltage was 12.37v at the end of the day.
Started out with this pack on Sunday for about 2 hours then noticed the signal sounding duller on junk targets so returned to my vehicle, voltage was 10.8v so I changed to the NiMH 2200mah pack for the rest of the day.
I'm looking forward to the RnB pack turning up as I felt the higher voltage on the lithium's definitely gave a stronger signals on tiny shotgun pellets and tiny rusty metal splinters at a few inches deep, but maybe it's mind over matter too?

ProspectorPete said:
No gold found but detected for about 7 hours on Saturday and the voltage was 12.37v at the end of the day.
Started out with this pack on Sunday for about 2 hours then noticed the signal sounding duller on junk targets so returned to my vehicle, voltage was 10.8v so I changed to the NiMH 2200mah pack for the rest of the day.
I'm looking forward to the RnB pack turning up as I felt the higher voltage on the lithium's definitely gave a stronger signals on tiny shotgun pellets and tiny rusty metal splinters at a few inches deep, but maybe it's mind over matter too?

Well that's Good, I was right then about these Batteries Lasting and their power, Cool, so in total it is possible to get 10 hours to the point of the warning coming on, Well That got to be A Good thing.

John

Yeah for sure John but a costly exercise to do often.
I have just tested them now with the multimeter and as a pack the charge was 10.7v and seemed to drop as I held the probes on so I tested them individually and 9 batteries tested at 1.67v each and 1 tested .43v so it seems one cell let the team down unfortunately, would be interesting to see how much more I could have got from the pack if the 1 battery didn't fail.
Threw out the dead cell and kept the others for hand held gps and other things that would benefit from longer lasting batteries that don't get used often.

ProspectorPete said:
Yeah for sure John but a costly exercise to do often.
I have just tested them now with the multimeter and as a pack the charge was 10.7v and seemed to drop as I held the probes on so I tested them individually and 9 batteries tested at 1.67v each and 1 tested .43v so it seems one cell let the team down unfortunately, would be interesting to see how much more I could have got from the pack if the 1 battery didn't fail.
Threw out the dead cell and kept the others for hand held gps and other things that would benefit from longer lasting batteries that don't get used often.

Well you have got the longest time so far, Well when you get this RnB Pack fired up you should keep a Set of them Ultra Lithiums with your Machine out of Heat As Back, Don't put em In your Glove Box, lol.

I Reckon when New they would power the GPS for Quite A While, I Have The Garmin GPS 76 ?? and it does Ok and I have the Old Garmin StreetPilot III that can Chew em Up 6 at A Time,

Let us know how that RnB system works out, mate,

Thanks again, John.

Is it possible to mix the batteries at all eg some lithium rechargeable AA 3.7V with normal lithium AA rechargeable batteries to pump up the voltage without frying the SPP circuits?

I strongly recommend you don't mix batteries to "boost" the voltage. First of all, the AA size Li Ion batteries don't last long enough to do any good, but more importantly, the voltage could be exceeded and blow something.

If you want higher voltage then look at the battery packs made and sold on ebay by a guy named Reid. He makes a 14.8v pack consisting of 4 Panasonic 3400ma cells.

A good 12v setup is the RNB 3100's. Right now, they are selling for a great price of $92.50 USD plus shipping on ebay also.

Reg

Cheers Reg
Would you have a link for the 14.8V setup from Reid as I can't find it sorry. Think I found the 12v setup looks good but it looked like it was $200 au but I might have found the wrong one. Cheers Mate
Reg said:
I strongly recommend you don't mix batteries to "boost" the voltage. First of all, the AA size Li Ion batteries don't last long enough to do any good, but more importantly, the voltage could be exceeded and blow something.

If you want higher voltage then look at the battery packs made and sold on ebay by a guy named Reid. He makes a 14.8v pack consisting of 4 Panasonic 3400ma cells.

A good 12v setup is the RNB 3100's. Right now, they are selling for a great price of $92.50 USD plus shipping on ebay also.

Reg

I can't seem to find the link either, I've bought the RnB 12v pack but would also be very interested in the 14.8v pack too.
Much appreciated Reg.

Yeah working.
Brings up both a SL pack and a lighter TDI pack that would only last on the TDI for 4hrs but would make the TDI very light.
Both packs I think need the TDI pro charger, so that would be an additional cost for a SPP user' making the RnB a great deal.

Link works now thanks guys, only problem is the seller doesn't ship overseas otherwise I'd snap one up in a flash.
Not sure if there's some other way of getting them shipped over but I'd be really appreciative if there was a way, 14+ volts is what I'm ideally looking for with my SL.

Thanks mbasko, it stipulates he doesn't ship overseas but I've just messaged the seller to confirm, failing that I will call in and see the guys at Every Battery and hopefully they may be up for the challenge.
Again, I really appreciate the help with the links and info guys as I know how much of a difference it made to my SL and MXT Pro when I put the 8 x AA lithiums in = 14.7v, the signal was so much stronger and definitely ads extra punch, so perusing a rechargeable pack is worth it IMO.

ProspectorPete said:
Thanks mbasko, it stipulates he doesn't ship overseas but I've just messaged the seller to confirm, failing that I will call in and see the guys at Every Battery and hopefully they may be up for the challenge.
Again, I really appreciate the help with the links and info guys as I know how much of a difference it made to my SL and MXT Pro when I put the 8 x AA lithiums in = 14.7v, the signal was so much stronger and definitely ads extra punch, so perusing a rechargeable pack is worth it IMO.

Pete, Those 8 X AA lithiums you tried would last for over 80 Hours in your MXT, I Averaged 57 to 65 hours from Duracells with out the warning coming on In the MXT's.
I am not sure why you would need a longer run Time From the MXT, When I Get Time I will Try and See how long the 9 Battery Conversion I did will Last using 2650smah's and let you know, the Voltage was over 13 volts/

john

All good John, was just referring to the fact that the signal strength was much better in the MXT with the higher voltage.
I want the higher voltage pack for my SL when searching for nuggets and not so concerned about run time as I charge the pack while having lunch.
The MXT signals great with the RnB 3100MaH pack I originally bought for the SL and I'm really happy with the MXT @ 12v, if I can get the SL to run on a 14+ Volt pack then I've pretty much got optimum battery performance for both machines when I get the chance to use them.

ProspectorPete said:
All good John, was just referring to the fact that the signal strength was much better in the MXT with the higher voltage.
I want the higher voltage pack for my SL when searching for nuggets and not so concerned about run time as I charge the pack while having lunch.
The MXT signals great with the RnB 3100MaH pack I originally bought for the SL and I'm really happy with the MXT @ 12v, if I can get the SL to run on a 14+ Volt pack then I've pretty much got optimum battery performance for both machines when I get the chance to use them.

I thought that RNB Pack got you about 9 hours and that it was running at 14+volts, Are you chasing that other Companies Battery pack Now?

john

The 14+ volts for 9 hours was from the Energizer Li-Ion AA's, 1 of the batteries died and the other 7 are sitting at 1.53v so using them in household items. I bought the RnB pack for the SL thinking it was going to give me somewhere near 14v but it charges to 12.7v max and I haven't been out detecting since using the AA's, only tried the RnB in both machines in the back yard to hear the signal strength response.
When I saw the post about the 14+ volt pack pop up yesterday I thought I'd jump on it too as I is what I was looking for originally for the SL, I'm happy running the MXT on good AA's but having the RnB there is even better.

Sorry about any confusion as I've been trying and chasing different batteries when I've gone out and at home. So hopefully now if I can get hold of one 14+volt Li-Ion recharge pack then all my battery issues will be solved.

Latest posts