Whites SPP Upgrading Batteries?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ems will post those battery's.
RR as soon as i get that battery pack from china i'll build a test pack and do a few days testing to make sure it all works as it should. My dad has the same battery pack but in 6000mah and it looks like it will fit also, i just need to see the size of the balance board in the pack then i will know for sure. If it all goes to plan i can make some extra's

Dazza :)

Fellas, does that mean I could score a better battery pack for my SL? Will it come with a charger or does the SL charger suffice?

Count me in. Let me know how much.

Watching with interest and I'd also be keen on paying for a ready to go pack if it all works out as hoped, thanks for taking the lead on this Dazza and RR.

ProspectorPete said:
Watching with interest and I'd also be keen on paying for a ready to go pack if it all works out as hoped, thanks for taking the lead on this Dazza and RR.

Yep I hope we can get this sorted, it's been a long time coming and I am sure if we can do something with that 6000mah we could get 16 to 20 hours from it, Aye. which after 8 to 10 hours detecting in a day should have enough voltage at the end of the day to still be well above 12 volts which will be good for the machine and the Batteries life span as flattening them Kills them.

John

I emailed White's with a link to somewhere, telling them of our efforts to make their product work better as far as battery life goes. I suppose they'll just laugh it off.

SunriseBoy said:
I emailed White's with a link to somewhere, telling them of our efforts to make their product work better as far as battery life goes. I suppose they'll just laugh it off.

I have spoken to them a couple of times about it so maybe they will do something, I have sent the a couple of polite messages so far.

john

Anyone tried the 3.2v AA size LiFePO4 rechargeable batteries. I met a PA forum member last Saturday while doing a job with some PMAV members in Creswick & he had made up a rechargeable pack using 8 of these batteries. Modded the slide in SPP battery tray to use them.
Works pretty well from what I was told so I'm going to try it myself if I can, have to move house soon though so won't be until after that though.
Will provide more power than the niMh rechargeables & a little more than alkalines so should be a good thing, think it works out to about 12.8v but is cheap & looks like its easy to do.

ozziii said:
Anyone tried the 3.2v AA size LiFePO4 rechargeable batteries. I met a PA forum member last Saturday while doing a job with some PMAV members in Creswick & he had made up a rechargeable pack using 8 of these batteries. Modded the slide in SPP battery tray to use them.
Works pretty well from what I was told so I'm going to try it myself if I can, have to move house soon though so won't be until after that though.
Will provide more power than the niMh rechargeables & a little more than alkalines so should be a good thing, think it works out to about 12.8v but is cheap & looks like its easy to do.

Try this link here it will show you how and give you some other info.

john

http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/786-batteries-and-the-tdi-sl/

SunriseBoy said:
OK, that's good, but how can I get the mod done on the SL battery slide to take the 2900s?

Those are the photos I did when I did the conversion, I will sort it out for you, or you can just run 8 AA's in your own dry cell box because the run time is the same which is around 6.5 to 8 hours using the 2900s, the only difference between running 9 batteries is the voltage,

John

Yes, the higher voltage is always a bonus. Just let me know how much and what needs to be done.

Here is a pic of the SPP battery tray modded to use 8x 3.2v LiFePO4 AA size rechargeable batteries for 14.5v.
I know stuff all about this sort of thing so wouldn't know how it works or gets the voltage output but would like to know more as it would be good to try & cheap.

ozziii said:
Here is a pic of the SPP battery tray modded to use 8x 3.2v LiFePO4 AA size rechargeable batteries.

http://i1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii524/ozziii4/Detecting%20Stuff/OleRptHl_zps8jhm2mb6.jpg

So you have 12.8 volts and 1200 mah of power is that correct ??

because it looks like they have run them in 2 banks of 4 which is 600mah x 2=1200 which you will be lucky to get 2 and a half hours run time,
What you need is the Mod I posted on steves forum because not only does it give you about 6.5 to 8 hours run time but it gives you over 13 volts,

john

I wouldn't have a clue, looks like the batteries are in the same way as normal but the centre tab at the top is cut in half & wires added.
That's all I know about it but you can see where the wire are mounted to change voltage output so it give the correct amount.
I found some 1500mAh batteries so will try it with them when I can do it as I thought they would last longer.

Well let us know how it works out, and just charge em up and load them in the machine and turn it up flat out and see how long they last, and then you will get an Idea what you nee to do,

John

Latest posts