Whites SPP Upgrading Batteries?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
old hand said:
A new lithium battery is being developed for the SPP at the moment its 60 grams lighter and it is being tested at this time it should be on the market in approximately 2 weeks all going well ,its longer lasting than the standard bat. regards john :)

Thanks for the News Mate, Can you Post any Info that you find out more about this new Battery when it comes Out??

Thanks Mate, John

Hi guys, just a quick query.
I bought 8 AA Varta 2100mAh rechargeable batteries last week from Bunnings and used then for about 2-3 hours on the weekend in the TDI SL, I put them on the supplied charger tonight (4 batteries) thinking they would be about half charge and the charger had both green lights on from the start, I left them on for about 4 hours and the batteries are hot as in just able to hold them hot, is this normal?

G'day PP,
I run a SPP with 8 2900 mah AA's which I charge in a 8 row charger. When they are fairly flat they take approx. 2-3 hours to fully charge and yes they get pretty hot, had me a bit concerned too, but they seem to be performing ok so far, so I guess this is normal for NiMh batts.

John, is Dean at Goldsearch developing this lithium battery for the SPP? If so, can you let us know when he has them for sale,
Cheers.

OzzieAu said:
John, is Dean at Goldsearch developing this lithium battery for the SPP? If so, can you let us know when he has them for sale,
Cheers.

Hi OzzieAu, Not sure if it is the same one old hand is talking about but I do know that Dean is currently testing a new battery pack he has been working on for the SPP.
I put my name down for when it is ready. If you contact them they'll let you know when it will be available.

OzzieAu said:
Thanks Hard Luck, U finding any gold with your SPP? Do you have the con switch fitted and C42 jumped?
just wondering. Cheers.

No, no yellow yet. Lots of nice rusty bits and some lead. I'm not sure what you mean about the con switch and C42. Actually, to be really honest I have no idea about the con switch and C42. :lol:

Conductivity switch - High, All, Low ( discrimination of sorts ) C42 terminal on the pcb can be bridged to achieve better depth performance apparently. :

OzzieAu said:
G'day PP,
I run a SPP with 8 2900 mah AA's which I charge in a 8 row charger. When they are fairly flat they take approx. 2-3 hours to fully charge and yes they get pretty hot, had me a bit concerned too, but they seem to be performing ok so far, so I guess this is normal for NiMh batts.
I swapped the 4 over before bed and left the charger on over night, this morning they were charged with both lights out so all good, just popped the other 4 back on to finish. I'm a newbie to using rechargeable's :8

I have bought heaps of batteries 44 at last count,

If any of you see some called EXTREME 2900s just be warned I tested them and they give less time than my 2650s, I think they are 2500s nimh, The best time I got was 6 hours 11 minutes from them,

I am still trying to find some REAL 2900s because they should give me 7 1/2 to 8 hours.

Good Luck,, John

OzzieAu said:
RidgeRunner,
I got some 2900's from PhaseTech (sponsor) branded Accupower, they seem to go the distance.
Cheers.

When you get time can you fully charge them and run the machine flat out and time how long they last, because I have bought 44 AA's so far and the best I got was 6 hours 38 minutes out of 2700 mah NiMh batteries,
and I get about the same out of my 2650s too, but the 2900s I got are just re labelled 2500s

Thanks Mate,, John

Run time is important but the ability of a battery to maintain a high voltage for as long as possible is probably more important on the SPP. I am currently testing a new type of AA rechargeable which will give around 14 .8 Volts from the SPP 8 cell pack at full charge. After 3 hours use the Pack still shows over 12 Volts. This is important with the SPP because performance on small gold drops away when the voltage gets low. I have also tested these new rechargeables to see how they hold charge and have found that after 3 weeks without use a fully charged pack shows almost no voltage drop at all. I am also testing the RNB HP3100 pack from the U.S. So far results have been good but a bit more testing is needed yet. The ability to use a 12 volt car charger on the RNB is a real bonus.

Latest posts